Thread poster: Marianna Chatzigianni
Marianna Chatzigianni
Marianna Chatzigianni
Cyprus
Local time: 23:14
English to Greek
+ ...
Dec 1, 2017

Hello i am trying to do an essay for my MSc in Speciliased translation and I need your opinion, if it is possible.
Do you believe that skopos theory is useful for professional translstors? And why

The actual question is a general one, but i can render it as a specific one:
"how useful is translation theory for profrssiosional translators?"

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2017-12-01 11:01 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's not a matter of belief Dec 1, 2017

maya213 wrote:

Hello i am trying to do an essay for my MSc in Speciliased translation and I need your opinion, if it is possible.
Do you believe that skopos theory is useful for professional translstors? And why

The question is self-defeating in my opinion, because you'll invite yes and no answers with very little explanations or examples to support either.

What is the topic of the essay? How does skopos theory fit in it? What are you trying to say in your essay?

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
What theory? Dec 1, 2017

maya213 wrote:

It isn't to me, because I have never heard of it so I have no use for it, at least up to now.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:14
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
What?!? Dec 1, 2017

In https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skopos_theory you can find:

The functional approach has a great affinity with Skopos theory. The function of a translation depends on the knowledge, expectations, values and norms of the target readers, who are again influenced by the situation they are in and by the culture. These factors determine whether the function of the source text or passages in the source text can be preserved or have to be modified or even changed.

"Passages in the source text (...) have to be modified or even changed"? Yeah, I'll try that, just for fun. I'd be out of business in no time flat.

Marianna Chatzigianni
Marianna Chatzigianni
Cyprus
Local time: 23:14
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A general question Dec 1, 2017

Hello thank you very much for your answer
The ssay question is a general one, but i am allowed to render it as a specific one
"how does translation theory is useful for professional translators?

Daniel Erlich
Daniel Erlich  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:14
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Maybe they mean adaptation to the target reader? Dec 1, 2017

The en.WP article is very poorly written. I was curious, so I found this https://www.slideshare.net/habibeh/purposesskopos-theory presentation. (caveat: it doesn't seem too much better than the WP article.)

From the looks of things, this theory seems to have been created by academics, who maybe translated a literary work as their Master's thesis, that kind of thing. N
... See more
The en.WP article is very poorly written. I was curious, so I found this https://www.slideshare.net/habibeh/purposesskopos-theory presentation. (caveat: it doesn't seem too much better than the WP article.)

From the looks of things, this theory seems to have been created by academics, who maybe translated a literary work as their Master's thesis, that kind of thing. Not actual, day-to-day translators such as we'd find here on ProZ. I'm grasping at straws, but maybe what they're trying to describe are things like changing a baseball reference to a soccer reference?

I.e., if your target reader has no idea about baseball and zero clue what an "inning" is, but they are avid soccer fans, you could change "bottom of the ninth" to "the last minute of the game" [in PT we have a perfect translation, "45 do segundo tempo"].
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Skopos theory Dec 1, 2017

It seems to put emphasis on adapting the target text to the purpose of the translation. I can see that as being applicable in literary or marketing texts, but certainly not in the technical or legal texts that make up the bulk of my work.

It should be pointed out that the translator often doesn't even know what the purpose of the translation is, so how can it be adapted to the purpose of the target audience?

For example, translating a user manual could be intended for a
... See more
It seems to put emphasis on adapting the target text to the purpose of the translation. I can see that as being applicable in literary or marketing texts, but certainly not in the technical or legal texts that make up the bulk of my work.

It should be pointed out that the translator often doesn't even know what the purpose of the translation is, so how can it be adapted to the purpose of the target audience?

For example, translating a user manual could be intended for a company's customers that use its equipment. But it could also be for the lawyers of a competitor who are putting together a patent infringement case. The translator has to produce a target text that is "true and faithful" to the source text, frequently having to provide certification that this is the case.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Sense of purpose Dec 1, 2017

I remember having to wade through a long document detailing requirements for the agency I worked for to be able to join some translation agency society.

Most requirements were just out of reach (such as the astronomical fee to have people come and audit the firm), and the only one that was even implementable, was the requirement of systematically asking the purpose of the translation.

Of course with most repeat customers you know it'll be the same purpose as for the pr
... See more
I remember having to wade through a long document detailing requirements for the agency I worked for to be able to join some translation agency society.

Most requirements were just out of reach (such as the astronomical fee to have people come and audit the firm), and the only one that was even implementable, was the requirement of systematically asking the purpose of the translation.

Of course with most repeat customers you know it'll be the same purpose as for the previous translation, and the one before that, and the one before that. It's important for new clients especially.
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
Cui bono? Dec 1, 2017

[quote]Daniel Frisano wrote:

... The function of a translation depends on the knowledge, expectations, values and norms of the target readers, who are again influenced by the situation they are in and by the culture...

But, but, but...(eyes blinking rapidly)... Isn't this, like, obvious? To anyone who's been doing this for a while? Isn't this plain old common sense (Buckets should be well fit for carrying water. Chef's knives should be well balanced and fit for chopping things)? Why do we even need a "theory" for this?

Unfortunately, this is a much more general scourge that is not limited to translation. Those who can, do. Those who... well, others, make theories, which perpetuate even more theories, which in turn helps the theorists build their nice little careers - more often than not, at the taxpayers' expense. Then again, it may be just as well, or the money would be wasted on bombs and 'bama phones anyway.

There is no feedback loop here. We, practitioners, gain nothing from all those "theories" and for the most part remain blissfully (and mercifully) unaware of them. Let them remain on Mars, of wherever it is they live. We will all be better off this way.

[Edited at 2017-12-01 16:01 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Here's a nice primer Dec 1, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

maya213 wrote:

It isn't to me, because I have never heard of it so I have no use for it, at least up to now.

Hi, John:

Since there are many academic papers I could throw at you if I wanted to be snooty and talk about skopos theory, I decided to be less snooty and share something for which translation agencies took part. In short, this paper (it's long, but just skim to the juicy parts!) should be more palatable to translators who don't particularly care about the academic side of translation.

Here it is! http://pure.au.dk/portal/files/7795/Professional_Translators__Establishment_of_Skopos.pdf

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oh, Wikipedia! Dec 1, 2017

Daniel Frisano wrote:

The functional approach has a great affinity with Skopos theory. The function of a translation depends on the knowledge, expectations, values and norms of the target readers, who are again influenced by the situation they are in and by the culture. These factors determine whether the function of the source text or passages in the source text can be preserved or have to be modified or even changed.

"Passages in the source text (...) have to be modified or even changed"? Yeah, I'll try that, just for fun. I'd be out of business in no time flat.

Daniel, there are better sources for skopos theory, even critical papers. I'm sure someone in academia put together an easy primer for theory-allergic translators.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
There's a book Dec 1, 2017

maya213 wrote:

Hello thank you very much for your answer
The ssay question is a general one, but i am allowed to render it as a specific one
"how does translation theory is useful for professional translators?

Does your university have access to the latest books and academic papers on Translation Studies, or translation theories?

Have you tried this book? https://www.amazon.com/Can-Theory-Help-Translators-Translation/dp/1900650495

In writing an essay, a monograph or any kind of academic paper, it is necessary to read up on the state of the art dealing with the question. In other words, you need to see and read what has been said and published regarding your particular question. You can't just wing it or improvise it, because a) it's poor scholarship and b) it shows shoddy research methods.

A topic for an essay, paper, etc. has to be specific, challenging. Your professor should be challenging you to think and do proper research. Otherwise, he or she is not being a very good professor anyway.

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Academia? Dec 1, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

I'm sure someone in academia put together an easy primer for theory-allergic translators.

And we all know how things work in academia, don't we? It's probably the most biased of all biased sources you can imagine.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good analogies Dec 1, 2017

Daniel Erlich wrote:

From the looks of things, this theory seems to have been created by academics, who maybe translated a literary work as their Master's thesis, that kind of thing. Not actual, day-to-day translators such as we'd find here on ProZ. I'm grasping at straws, but maybe what they're trying to describe are things like changing a baseball reference to a soccer reference?

I.e., if your target reader has no idea about baseball and zero clue what an "inning" is, but they are avid soccer fans, you could change "bottom of the ninth" to "the last minute of the game" [in PT we have a perfect translation, "45 do segundo tempo"].

Daniel,

One of the myths in our profession is that academics, high in their ivory tower, write about translation in a way that is disconnected from our real-world concerns. Some do, true, but many others don't; these academics are translation professors and translators themselves who write papers from a real-world point of view.

If I were to explain skopos theory with just the paper written by Hans Vermeer, then I would be confirming the myth. But Vermeer wrote it decades ago! Other scholars have critiqued the theory and analyzed it in more practical terms. I would definitely avoid Wikipedia for a discussion or understanding of something that is more involved but not so hard to grasp for us.

By the way, Wikipedia is at it again: running out of money and begging its users to pony up 3 dollars or more to keep it running. I wish Twitter had the same trouble, so we can all be freed from the caustic gossip that seems to be infiltrating our democracies. Ah, yes, and we'd be rid of Mr. T as well.

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Obvious? Dec 1, 2017

The Misha wrote:

... The function of a translation depends on the knowledge, expectations, values and norms of the target readers, who are again influenced by the situation they are in and by the culture...

But, but, but...(eyes blinking rapidly)... Isn't this, like, obvious? To anyone who's been doing this for a while?

It's not obvious one bit to me. In MANY fields the function of a translation MUST BE independent from the knowledge etc.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skopos theory

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »