Thread poster: rachelgreen45
rachelgreen45
rachelgreen45
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:09
French to English
+ ...
Dec 21, 2020

Hi. I am wondering if anyone has advice about doing captioning work; no translation involved. The only way I seem to be able to know where to segment the dialogue into captions is to listen and write all the dialogue first, so that when I come to insert the in and out times, I can see where I will be able to do that, even to the point of needing to count the characters first, on occasion. This is very time-consuming, however, so wondered if there is a better way?
Thanks.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:09
English to Russian
Try this video Dec 22, 2020

Hi there,
I am not sure I completely understand your concern, but you may want to watch this 2-minute video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQbkz9wp0HA&fbclid=IwAR3brMYCCJ96zT69FcvygdPLvdpWSjr0ykKiund2CkbecvOCNKpqt049rfE
You don't need to insert in/out timestamps because they are inserted automatically when
... See more
Hi there,
I am not sure I completely understand your concern, but you may want to watch this 2-minute video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQbkz9wp0HA&fbclid=IwAR3brMYCCJ96zT69FcvygdPLvdpWSjr0ykKiund2CkbecvOCNKpqt049rfE
You don't need to insert in/out timestamps because they are inserted automatically when you select a fragment on the waveform. When you press 'Add text here', the focus moves to the text field. So the procedure is as follows: you listen, you select a fragment, you press 'Add text here', you type your caption.
Hope it helps.
Collapse

rachelgreen45
rachelgreen45
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:09
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 22, 2020

Thank you for posting the video. However, the agency I am working for do expect me to insert the in-times and out-times, and the other issue I have is that the platform I have to use with them, which is called Ooona, for some reason the waveform won't display on my screen.

Veronica Montserrat
Veronica Montserrat
France
Local time: 18:09
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
It's at the bottom of screen Dec 23, 2020

Hello Rachel,

I have worked with Ooona a few times. The platform is a bit confusing for me as well, but it does display the waveform at the bottom of the screen, you can expand it as you like. I do not have a current project on the platform so I cannot tell you exactly how, but you should be able to expand the waveform in the window at the bottom.

Happy holidays.

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Ooona Dec 23, 2020

Hi Rachel,

I've been working with Ooona for almost 2 years and I can say I'm experienced on Ooona. Be sure that you download Ooona Agent and it's running. Do you have the software or are you using over agency's server? For me, it is by far the easiest platform to insert in and out times. You can pm me if you need help or send support email to the Ooona's support team. [email protected].

Best.

[Edited
... See more
Hi Rachel,

I've been working with Ooona for almost 2 years and I can say I'm experienced on Ooona. Be sure that you download Ooona Agent and it's running. Do you have the software or are you using over agency's server? For me, it is by far the easiest platform to insert in and out times. You can pm me if you need help or send support email to the Ooona's support team. [email protected].

Best.

[Edited at 2020-12-23 16:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-23 16:48 GMT]
Collapse

Angelica Lacetera
Angelica Lacetera  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
Where to download Ooona Agent? Sep 9, 2021

Hi guys,

bumped into this trad as I can't see the waveform on a video I'm working through my brand new Ooona subscription...

I read about this Ooona Agent, but I can't find the download anywhere.

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
... Sep 10, 2021

Hi Angelica, can you try this please?

"To download the Agent, simply try to open a video with it and when the software won't find it on your system you'll receive a download link."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with captioning technique

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »