Experience share and a question on "time coding" work?
Thread poster: RicardoShane RicardoShane
Oct 29, 2020

Hello,

I'm a subtitler with 5 years of experience, but new to the global market.
After joined ProZ in last December, I read lots of posts in this Subtitling forum, it really helped me a lot, thanks for all the old members and professionals' sharing and advice.

1. I like to do the time coding/spotting work very much (I have an IT and Audio Engineer background) and developed some techniques using assisted software and hardware, which can make the work fast an
... See more
Hello,

I'm a subtitler with 5 years of experience, but new to the global market.
After joined ProZ in last December, I read lots of posts in this Subtitling forum, it really helped me a lot, thanks for all the old members and professionals' sharing and advice.

1. I like to do the time coding/spotting work very much (I have an IT and Audio Engineer background) and developed some techniques using assisted software and hardware, which can make the work fast and accurate at the same time. I want to discuss it with you guys, see if it can be improved, or I may give you some help on time coding.

2. (I don't know if it's appropriate to ask the following question here, if it's not I'll edit it.)

I am a subtitle translator, and I'm also looking for time coding only work, which means I only do the time coding, other people do the translation.
In China, these two types of work are usually separately done by freelancers.

I saw many global companies give subtitlers time-coded text, so subtitlers only need to do the translation work. I want o know is it a common case for the work?

And in many other cases, the work is done online or using company self-developed software, so subtitlers can't use their own software and techniques.
Therefore I want to ask how many opportunities are there for time coding only work?

And is it possible to work with other subtitlers who are not good at time coding? (Of course, it should abide by NDA on outsourcing.)
And what the percentage of subtitlers need this kind of service?

Any reply is greatly appreciated.
https://tweakbox.mobi/ https://getappvalley.com/ https://vlc.onl

[Edited at 2020-10-30 06:48 GMT]
Collapse

Inter-Tra
Inter-Tra  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:52
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Time coding Oct 29, 2020

Hallo Ricardo,

Maybe you can help me in understanding this email received som days ago from an agency.

"We have a new requirement from our client for coding. We have open
end responses in Italian language and code frame is provided in
German.
The approx. number of responses is 2000"

I could not grasp the meaning.

Could you have been of any help in this case?
I am sure that some colleagues prefers others to do time codi
... See more
Hallo Ricardo,

Maybe you can help me in understanding this email received som days ago from an agency.

"We have a new requirement from our client for coding. We have open
end responses in Italian language and code frame is provided in
German.
The approx. number of responses is 2000"

I could not grasp the meaning.

Could you have been of any help in this case?
I am sure that some colleagues prefers others to do time coding.

Thank you.
Francesca
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Well... Oct 30, 2020

RicardoShane RicardoShane wrote:

I saw many global companies give subtitlers time-coded text, so subtitlers only need to do the translation work. I want o know is it a common case for the work?

Yes, very.

Therefore I want to ask how many opportunities are there for time coding only work?

Not a lot, it seems. I have never seen a time-coding only job since I started freelancing several months ago. It's either translating subtitle files with timestamps already created, or making the timestamps yourself AND translating the subtitles.

And is it possible to work with other subtitlers who are not good at time coding? (Of course, it should abide by NDA on outsourcing.)

Well, the question is not if it's possible, but whether or not it is allowed. Read the contract, see if it allows you to share the workload with someone else.

And what the percentage of subtitlers need this kind of service?

What? Time-coding jobs? Let's just say that you would make the life of us subtitle translators to be significantly easier.

[Edited at 2020-10-30 23:20 GMT]

Morano El-Kholy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience share and a question on "time coding" work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »