Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:58
English to French
+ ...
Nov 21, 2019

Hi everyone,

recently, a client agency asked me if I could do post-edition on subtitles that went through MT. The thing is, they work majoritarily on creative content (TV shows and movies) and it seems obvious to me that MT is a bad fit for this.
Has anyone ever had experience with this before, MT in subtitling? How was the quality? Or rather, does it even work?

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 01:58
English to Russian
+ ...
Coming from someone who admits acceptability of MTPE in certain cases Nov 21, 2019

Charge an arm and a leg or forget it.

I'm sure you are an experienced viewer of foreign movies with subtitles and can see the results of MT translation in this field. Tens of thousands of viewers all over the world complain all the way to the moon to no avail. What you'll get will require a complete overhaul of at least 85% of the job.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Nov 21, 2019

MT in subtitling is useless.

Reading the stupid suggestions and deleting them takes way more time than is saved by the occasional correct and fitting translation of things like "Thanks", "What?" and "Good morning".

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
It's obvious. Nov 21, 2019

Translating requires thinking. Machines do not think. Humans do. The conclusion is obvious.

Yasser Salama

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
+1 Nov 22, 2019

I agree with everyone above. Let's face it : it's just a way for them to pay you less for the same job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Machine Translation in subtitling

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »