Thread poster: Olivier Den Hartigh
Olivier Den Hartigh
Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:15
English to French
Mar 1, 2018

Hello everybody,

I often have to translate bilingual files which I believe come from memoQ into Trados 2017. Document is a rtf with two colums and I have to include my translation in the second column. Excel files are no problem, but rtfs are another story altogether, since it also contains headers with instructions.
Please see image below.

memoq

Any idea how to create a style into Trados to tackle these files?
Thank you advance for your help,
Ollie

[Edited at 2018-03-01 08:20 GMT]

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Save as a DOC(X) file Mar 1, 2018

Well, I do not work with rtf files and I do not know if hiding text is possible there, but if not, a solution for me would be to save the file as a doc(x) one, copy the source text to the target column, hide everything that is not supposed to be translated, and then process with Studio. After generating the target, unhide hidden text and save back to rtf.

Olivier Den Hartigh
Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:15
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
translating a bilingual rt file from memoQ into Trados Mar 5, 2018

Ekaterina, thank you for your help.
I was looking for something included within Trados, or a type of template style I could set up to make it more systematic but your solution will definitely do.

I selected the text not to be translated - no need to save it as a doc, it works as a rtf - and used Ctr + shift + H to hide the text, translated the text, saved it and unhide the text.
Even better, I used the TransTools add-in, that does Hide / Unhide Text: hide specific port
... See more
Ekaterina, thank you for your help.
I was looking for something included within Trados, or a type of template style I could set up to make it more systematic but your solution will definitely do.

I selected the text not to be translated - no need to save it as a doc, it works as a rtf - and used Ctr + shift + H to hide the text, translated the text, saved it and unhide the text.
Even better, I used the TransTools add-in, that does Hide / Unhide Text: hide specific portions of documents before importing them into CAT tools (for translating parts of a document), and which can be found at http://www.translatortools.net/word-about.html.
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Not in Studio Mar 5, 2018

No, as far as I know, there is nothing inside Studio that would do the trick. This is because when you load the file for translation a bilingual file is created and you cannot make changes to it. So you have to prepare it in advance. There are some tricks for Excel files but that is another story. I am glad hiding works also in .rtf files. And yes, TransTools is a wonderful plugin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translating a bilingual rt file from memoQ into Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »