Moved a Studio project to a different folder and now I can't open it
Thread poster: Gabriella Pierro
Gabriella Pierro
Gabriella Pierro
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 16, 2018

Hello all,

I moved a Studio 2017 project file to a different folder by mistakenly doing CTRL X and now I can't open it and it's not in my project view anymore. If I try to open it, it says it's not supported.

Is that anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks,

Gabriella

Christian Schaller
Christian Schaller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:22
English to German
search for the files Jan 16, 2018

Search for the files. If you only moved and did not completely delete them, you can either move them back to where they were originally saved and should have no trouble opening the project again. Or you can open the project from where you accidently placed it. But you really need to fiind the files again, otherwise there is no way of recovering it.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
What is gone? Jan 16, 2018

If you only lost=deleted the project file (the one with the extension "sdlproj") but not the other files (the "sdlxliff" and/or "sdltm"), you can create a new project based on the files you have.

Gabriella Pierro
Gabriella Pierro
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lost sdlxliff too Jan 16, 2018

Hi,

The problem is that after I moved the file to the other folder, everything else disappeared, including the folder where I had saved the file previously, so I have no SDLXLIFF or SDLTM anymore. I did not delete the files, I just moved the file to a different folder and I don't know how all this is happening.

So there's no way I can recover my work?

Many thanks,

Gabriella

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
That will teach you not to move files around! Jan 16, 2018

Gabriella Pierro wrote:

Hello all,

I moved a Studio 2017 project file to a different folder by mistakenly doing CTRL X and now I can't open it and it's not in my project view anymore. If I try to open it, it says it's not supported.

Is that anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks,

Gabriella

Just kidding! I did the same thing twice in the span of a few years. If you must have those files elsewhere, just copy the subfolder to another location, like “Backup of working files” or give it whatever name works for you.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Gabriella Jan 16, 2018

The CTRL-X means cutting information, NOT moving it!

To restore files after using CTRL-X you would need some 3rd party software, take a look here, for example:
https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery/how-to-recover-files-after-ctrl-x.html

Marianella B. Mansilla

Gabriella Pierro
Gabriella Pierro
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes but then I pasted it Jan 16, 2018

I pasted the file into the new folder.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Ah-ha Jan 16, 2018

And you know where your files are, you see them, but you cannot open the project, right?

If I have understood this correctly, then do the following:

1) In Studio, create a NEW project (without a TM) - you just need a fully functional project.
2) Close this new project in Studio.
3) Open the target folder in the file manager and replace target target files with the target files from the folder where you have copied them previously: do do this, just copy the f
... See more
And you know where your files are, you see them, but you cannot open the project, right?

If I have understood this correctly, then do the following:

1) In Studio, create a NEW project (without a TM) - you just need a fully functional project.
2) Close this new project in Studio.
3) Open the target folder in the file manager and replace target target files with the target files from the folder where you have copied them previously: do do this, just copy the files (the newly created files will be overwritten with the "moved" ones).
4) Open the new project from Studio, check the target files, and if everything is ok, go to Project Settings and add the TM to the project.
Collapse

Gabriella Pierro
Gabriella Pierro
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 19, 2018

Thanks all for your help, guys. I can't explain how but after I moved the files to the new folder, I could not locate the SDLXLIFF file and the TM anymore. Luckily, I had saved the file with the preview command and all my work was there so I had to create a new project, add the TM again and copy everything into it. After this, I will never try to move a Trados folder or file ever again.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Kerstin Mohnberg
Kerstin Mohnberg  Identity Verified
English to German
Delete "XML" Jan 19, 2018

Generally, if you have problems with Studio telling you that "a project has already been opened" (but it's actually not there) or "a project cannot be found" (even though you see the files on the server), what you need to do is locate the "projects.xml" file (just do a search in Windows and pick the one with the latest changed date) and delete the respective project's information from it.
You can also delete or rename the entire .xml file (won't do any harm Studio will just have to create
... See more
Generally, if you have problems with Studio telling you that "a project has already been opened" (but it's actually not there) or "a project cannot be found" (even though you see the files on the server), what you need to do is locate the "projects.xml" file (just do a search in Windows and pick the one with the latest changed date) and delete the respective project's information from it.
You can also delete or rename the entire .xml file (won't do any harm Studio will just have to create a new one!)
Studio is then forced to create a new projects file and find any project you try to open again.
The project info will therefore be completely new to Studio and you can open any project again.
Collapse

adelina chernaeva-yolova

adelina chernaeva-yolova
adelina chernaeva-yolova
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:22
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
This really works! Feb 8, 2023

Kerstin Mohnberg wrote:

You can also delete or rename the entire .xml file (won't do any harm Studio will just have to create a new one!)
Studio is then forced to create a new projects file and find any project you try to open again.
The project info will therefore be completely new to Studio and you can open any project again.

Thanks so much for this suggestion! I also moved the entire project to another folder, oblivious that this would confuse Trados so much that it will disappear from the projects list. After trying almost everything else suggested apart from starting a new project with the same TM I saw your post and that did it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moved a Studio project to a different folder and now I can't open it

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »