Nicolas Clochez
Nicolas Clochez  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:44
English to French
+ ...
Sep 5, 2011

Hi,

I tried to look for topics about netbooks, but none of them had an answer to my question: anyone here is using Trados (2007-2009) on a 10-inch netbook? I read somewhere that some applications don't run in smaller resolutions (below 1024*768), which is the case for 10" netbooks as they have a XXXX*600 resolution. Besides, the minimal specs required in the Trados 2009 page is 1280*1024...

Are you working on this type of computer? Is it working fine?

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
10" display for full-time work? Sep 5, 2011

Not a direct answer to your question but:
Just try to imagine yourself looking at the 10" display for 5 or even 10 hours a day and reading tiny characters. Characters are just tiny.
I would connect a 22" monitor for everyday work.
To my eyes, 10" is good for occasional web surfing only.

AM

Josephine Cassar

Mirja Maletzki
Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:44
Korean to German
+ ...
No problem Sep 5, 2011

I'm running Trados 07 and 09 on a netbook and have no major issues with it. I use my netbook every time I spend some time in my home country, which is usually three times a year with a minimum duration of a month and three months tops.

At the beginning of the year I was home for 3 month, working on a 100,000 word project in Trados 09. The only problem is that you can't really see Workbench at the same time as Tag Editor. You need to go back and forth. Other than that I had no probl
... See more
I'm running Trados 07 and 09 on a netbook and have no major issues with it. I use my netbook every time I spend some time in my home country, which is usually three times a year with a minimum duration of a month and three months tops.

At the beginning of the year I was home for 3 month, working on a 100,000 word project in Trados 09. The only problem is that you can't really see Workbench at the same time as Tag Editor. You need to go back and forth. Other than that I had no problems whatsoever.
Collapse

Nicolas Clochez
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Occasional work, actually Sep 5, 2011

Thanks for your reply ; I should have mentioned it but this would be for occasional work when on business trip. I have a much bigger screen on my professional computer

Nicolas Clochez
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 5, 2011

Mirja Maletzki wrote:

At the beginning of the year I was home for 3 month, working on a 100,000 word project in Trados 09. The only problem is that you can't really see Workbench at the same time as Tag Editor. You need to go back and forth. Other than that I had no problems whatsoever.

Thank you! Out of curiosity: what is your netbook's model?

[Edited at 2011-09-05 16:17 GMT]

Mirja Maletzki
Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:44
Korean to German
+ ...
Samsung Sep 5, 2011

It's a Samsung N140.

I really like it because it's so light and it fits even in my handbag. Except for the fact that I miss the CD player, I'd always go for a netbook again. Sooo convenient

Nicolas Clochez
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Sep 5, 2011

Thanks a million!

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Works fine Sep 6, 2011

NClochez wrote:

Hi,

I tried to look for topics about netbooks, but none of them had an answer to my question: anyone here is using Trados (2007-2009) on a 10-inch netbook? I read somewhere that some applications don't run in smaller resolutions (below 1024*768), which is the case for 10" netbooks as they have a XXXX*600 resolution. Besides, the minimal specs required in the Trados 2009 page is 1280*1024...

Are you working on this type of computer? Is it working fine?

Hola...

I ran Trados 2007 (Workbench, TagEditor, etc.) and Studio 2009 with an Acer Aspire One for a long time. Works fine, only a bit slow.

Now running them on a Macbook Air 13" with VMWare installed... pure bliss.

Good luck.

David

Nataliia Mostrianska
Nataliia Mostrianska  Identity Verified
France
English to Russian
+ ...
Trados 2011-2014, resolution 1024*600 Feb 14, 2014

Hi,

I would like to rise this topic. My question is: anyone here is using Trados (2011-2014) on a 10-inch netbook with resolution such as 1024*600? Of course, not on the permanent base - probably, on business trips etc.
Does it work?
Thank you in advance.

Elena Woontner (X)
Elena Woontner (X)
United States
Local time: 02:44
English to Italian
+ ...
I'd like an update on this subject - Trados Studio on netbooks and ultrabooks May 15, 2016

These answers are from 5 years ago; I think there are many more options now. Does anyone have advice on what would be the best solution to run Trados Studio (at least 2011) on a netbook/ultrabook built for travel mobility?

Thank you in advance.

Seamus Moran
Seamus Moran
Ireland
Local time: 10:44
German to English
+ ...
I would like an update on this too Jul 4, 2018

If there are any techies out there, I would like advice on Trados and mobility, i.e. use/performance on an ultrabook.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
NETbooks or ULTRAbooks Jul 7, 2018

Seamus, you didn't name any specs, yet while both subnote types are with the mobility in mind, NETbooks are but 7-12" low-budget/mid-end machines mostly for the internet browsing whereas ULTRAbooks (a-la Intel'ized MacBook Air) are full-fledged 8-14" powerful and efficient desktops/notebooks substitute--often i5/i7 with a FullHD or 4k+ resolution.
Hardware [settings] + OS [settings] + Software [settings]
Shortly, for an average translator with ≈300K TM there're should be no issues with relatively quality 12" screen with a decent CPU and 3+GB RAM under a dpi-aware OS (w7+ or 8.1 for multiple displays with different dpi) running dpi-aware software. A high-capacity battery could come handy, let alone a efficient shake-and-stress-resistant SSD.

The answer is a high-end NETbook or almost any modern ULTRAbook; preferably the latter.

[Edited at 2018-07-07 18:58 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:44
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Get something fast Jul 7, 2018

DZiW wrote:
The answer is a high-end NETbook or almost any modern ULTRAbook; preferably the latter.

I have Studio 2017 running on an i7 Microsoft Surface and a fast SSD. With larger files (several thousand segments), it takes quite a while to perform some tasks, such as selecting all the segments. For that reason I would not get anything that had a CPU less powerful than an i7.

Dan

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
bottlenecked upgradeability Jul 8, 2018

Dan, in translation a modern CPU is hardly a bottleneck, so a hyperthreaded i7 is just a boosted i5 option with a better integrated video, which may even become a big issue for shorter battery life... and higher price.

I also prefer to stay on the safe side, yet I can't imagine--without really big reason--traveling and working on a notebook longer than an hour. I'd rather wait till arriving home or at office and plug-in a 24" monitor with full-sized keyboard and mouse. Why, I see tr
... See more
Dan, in translation a modern CPU is hardly a bottleneck, so a hyperthreaded i7 is just a boosted i5 option with a better integrated video, which may even become a big issue for shorter battery life... and higher price.

I also prefer to stay on the safe side, yet I can't imagine--without really big reason--traveling and working on a notebook longer than an hour. I'd rather wait till arriving home or at office and plug-in a 24" monitor with full-sized keyboard and mouse. Why, I see translators using tablets too, but not my tool)
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
10 inch notebooks these days Jul 8, 2018

The original question of this thread related to 10 inch netbooks. I had a quick look at what's currently available in terms of 10 inch notebooks (since netbooks don't really exist anymore).

I don't think you should try to use a CAT tool with anything less than 900 pixels vertically, and Trados requires 4 GB RAM. In that range I find only two options, namely the Lenovo Yogabook ($600-ish) and the Panasonic Toughbook ($4500-ish). Both of these have fast quad core processors, so I d
... See more
The original question of this thread related to 10 inch netbooks. I had a quick look at what's currently available in terms of 10 inch notebooks (since netbooks don't really exist anymore).

I don't think you should try to use a CAT tool with anything less than 900 pixels vertically, and Trados requires 4 GB RAM. In that range I find only two options, namely the Lenovo Yogabook ($600-ish) and the Panasonic Toughbook ($4500-ish). Both of these have fast quad core processors, so I don't think they'll struggle with Trados. The Yogabook has an upper limit of 4 GB RAM (so you can't make it faster by adding more RAM), and it has a glass keyboard (which I dislike) instead of a physical keyboard. The Toughbook is cool but it's overkill.

In the 800 pixels vertically range there are a few options for $300-ish, and although most of them sport modern quad core processors, they tend to be limited in available RAM and in available disk space. A number of them use Flash memory that doesn't appear to be upgradeable and they tend not to have enough storage for what a CAT tool user might typically wish for, so you'd end up using an external drive, which is cumbersome for lap use.

Your options only start increasing when you go from 10 inch to 15 inch.

I suspect 10 inch was popular several years ago primarily because fewer inches meant less weight. These day, standard laptops are all much thinner and they tend to weigh less than their predecessors, so I would suggest you ask yourself why you want a 10 inch laptop. Is it really about screen size, or is it about weight?

Dan Lucas wrote:
With larger files (several thousand segments), it takes quite a while to perform some tasks, such as selecting all the segments. For that reason I would not get anything that had a CPU less powerful than an i7.

How do you know tasks such as selecting all segments (which is also slow on my desktop computer, for large files, by the way) will improve with a faster processor (instead of e.g. more RAM)?

[Edited at 2018-07-09 07:13 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

10" netbooks and trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »