Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
New Plus package benefit: free, unlimited access to BaccS - a project management tool
Thread poster: ..... (X)
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:56
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No offence... Jul 4, 2017

Eugene Kuchynski wrote:

Giovanni,
Ok, incredibly complex. Please answer back if I'm wrong, but if to read few rows in First run assistant, it becomes clear that there are 3 commonly used forms: Dashboard, Job, Invoice. That's all! Before using them, user fills reference data (currencies, work fields, etc.). It can't be complex.

I found it complex maybe because I was looking for a simpler, more "out of a box" product... but I understand you want to meet all sort of different requirements, so no problem... it's just not for me. All I want to do is select a company, fill in the job info and create an invoice... and this is what Proz's invoicing tool does... I wasn't saying it's a bad product... just doesn't meet my simpler needs...

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
Local time: 23:56
English to Russian
Grateful Jul 4, 2017

Dear Henry and Kevin,

Thank you for such a kind words! That's an exceptional feeling, to become a partner of such a friendly and positive team!

Anne,
Thanks for detailed answer and suggestions. We'll be checking and fixing mistakes in English, and continue to improve the manual (including new articles on the base of incoming questions). Indeed I've done this all alone, and some parts may seem rough.
As for the currency. Open Currency lis
... See more
Dear Henry and Kevin,

Thank you for such a kind words! That's an exceptional feeling, to become a partner of such a friendly and positive team!

Anne,
Thanks for detailed answer and suggestions. We'll be checking and fixing mistakes in English, and continue to improve the manual (including new articles on the base of incoming questions). Indeed I've done this all alone, and some parts may seem rough.
As for the currency. Open Currency list, double click on USD, you will get editing form, type $ in the last field and click Update. This currency sign can be printed in the invoice, but invoice template needs corresponding correction in the designer.
We had extensive testing since last autumn. There were a lot of bugs previously. And we continue to fix them even today. Well, even large programs still crash sometimes (like memoQ, for example, which is perfect tool from my point of view).
As for other suggestions, if you still be interested, you can just post them through this forum, BaccS forum, or in private messages. Everything is implemented pretty quickly. Will be happy to help you too!

Maija and Lingua 5B,
Sorry for misunderstanding! Really great that we sorted it (including private message). Even if you didn't find this tool interesting for you, wish you to continue (or start) discussion with ProZ about possible Plus package benefits, which will be useful for you.

Giovanni
Well, in the beginning it had a form which you expected - incredibly simple. With time, the tool became more complex, yes, and now it's impossible to learn it in just a few minutes, but I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. And, actually, when everything is set up, everyday's workflow turn into 1-2 clicks. Create job, change quantity, save, create invoice, print, register payment. All these actions are 1-click.

Glad that this thread returned to positive sound. Let’s be friends
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Running BaccS on GNU/Linux or OS X Jul 4, 2017

I already have an (online) project management/accounting program, but wanted to try BaccS and see if it suits me.

As I'm running GNU/Linux and BaccS is a Windows only program, the software does not run directly.

Apart from using it in a VM (which works), I tried the WINE route. WINE (a recursive acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator) is a compatibility layer (available on GNU/Linux and OS X) that allows to "natively" run several Windows applications.

PlayOnLi
... See more
I already have an (online) project management/accounting program, but wanted to try BaccS and see if it suits me.

As I'm running GNU/Linux and BaccS is a Windows only program, the software does not run directly.

Apart from using it in a VM (which works), I tried the WINE route. WINE (a recursive acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator) is a compatibility layer (available on GNU/Linux and OS X) that allows to "natively" run several Windows applications.

PlayOnLinux and PlayOnMac are free programs that make it easier to install compatible Windows apps (like Microsoft Office), and there is also CrossOver, a paid software that does just the same.

The default BaccS installer did not work, so I used a portable version of BaccS that Eugene has provided.

In CrossOver, I created a new virtual disk (a "bottle"), installed Windows Core Fonts and Microsoft NET Framework 4.5.2 and set Windows version to Windows 7, as per system requirements.

After that, the portable version of BaccS launches and runs successfully, with a few glitches.

If one has access to a Windows through a VM like Virtualbox, after the initial set up, ProZ connection and data import, he should be able to run the program natively through WINE, by simply copying the portable folder.

Of course, if you ask me, nothing beats offering cross-platform programs (like CafeTran) or online solutions (that can run anywhere) as part of the ProZ Plus membership, so as to ensure maximum inclusiveness (with minimal fuss).
Collapse

Rox-Edling
Rox-Edling
Germany
Local time: 21:56
Spanish to German
+ ...
Mac OS Jul 4, 2017

Nice thing. But

• Is there a Mac version planned? This is a must, I do not see any VM or Wine installation as useful. And indeed, I would not underestimate the number of colleagues doing at least their administrative stuff with Macs.
  • Are there things planned such as: mobile apps with a feature set to define (e.g. check/resend/create invoices and their status), easy sync of encrypted data via Dropbox, iCloud, custom clouds etc., also between two installations with differ... See more
  • Nice thing. But

• Is there a Mac version planned? This is a must, I do not see any VM or Wine installation as useful. And indeed, I would not underestimate the number of colleagues doing at least their administrative stuff with Macs.
  • Are there things planned such as: mobile apps with a feature set to define (e.g. check/resend/create invoices and their status), easy sync of encrypted data via Dropbox, iCloud, custom clouds etc., also between two installations with different OSs (see first point)? Or a kind of web app, to manage our office while being at the pool?
  • One concrete thing where TO 3000 despite of the very good support drove me crazy: Can your program list the paid invoices for a time x (e.g. a quarter), print them as a bulk print (not as a report, but as single invoices) and give out the amounts for net sums and taxes?
  • Create templates in different languages or for different customers: Is your program able to automatically adjust number formats, date formats etc. depending on the client's country?
  • Just have a look at GrandTotal (quite limited for our purposes, and with some glitches if its own): there are nice invoice templates to choose from, integration of external time tracking apps (and book keeping, if necessary) - two more things that I would miss ▲ Collapse

•  
    Eugene Kuchynski
    Eugene Kuchynski
    Belarus
    English to Russian
    Nice questions Jul 5, 2017

Hello, Torsten, and thank you for nice questions and ideas! Let me answer them (as short as possible):

Is there a Mac version planned? This is a must, I do not see any VM or Wine installation as useful. And indeed, I would not underestimate the number of colleagues doing at least their administrative stuff with Macs.

Please check my previous answer in this thread.
    Yes, there are a lot of people who use Mac. I've never had or used any Apple's device. Excellent examples are SDL and Kilgray, who not wish to port their products to Mac to achieve huge user base, not saying about BaccS. Apple closes doors for developers, while Microsoft opened them all. So, default solutions here - VM or online services. Sorry, Mac users. And taking into account what Microsoft does each day for students and young developers, can try to predict that in future things will be even worse for Apple's platform.

Are there things planned such as: mobile apps with a feature set to define (e.g. check/resend/create invoices and their status), easy sync of encrypted data via Dropbox, iCloud, custom clouds etc., also between two installations with different OSs (see first point)? Or a kind of web app, to manage our office while being at the pool?

In near future plan to implement backup to Google Drive and Dropbox. Online App will be returned back, but much later. To sync between two installation, it is enough to simply transfer 1 database file. Please remember that BaccS was always positioned as local individual software.

One concrete thing where TO 3000 despite of the very good support drove me crazy: Can your program list the paid invoices for a time x (e.g. a quarter), print them as a bulk print (not as a report, but as single invoices) and give out the amounts for net sums and taxes?

Filtering is very flexible. And if to select multiple invoices and click Print, you will get them as PDFs in the selected folder. Actually, I implemented this function today. It was almost done, and required 1 line of code to turn it on.

Create templates in different languages or for different customers: Is your program able to automatically adjust number formats, date formats etc. depending on the client's country?

Yes, it is possible to create any number of templates, assign them to clients and localize (labels, number and date formatting, etc.). Some time will be required to master this functionality.

Just have a look at GrandTotal (quite limited for our purposes, and with some glitches if its own): there are nice invoice templates to choose from, integration of external time tracking apps (and book keeping, if necessary) - two more things that I would miss

BaccS is community driven application. We already talked about sync with bookkeeping software, so after implementation of more required functions we can start implementing this sync.

CafeTran Training (X)
    CafeTran Training (X)
    Netherlands
    Please don't say that Jul 5, 2017

Eugene Kuchynski wrote:

And taking into account what Microsoft does each day for students and young developers, can try to predict that in future things will be even worse for Apple's platform.

Please don't say that. For instance, it's perfectly possible to run a translation office/be a full-time translator, using macOS only.

You're entitled to not support macOS, but please don't make predictions about the feature of macOS. I don't think that you have the necessary information to do so. (Neither do I, BTW, but I can tell you from my own experiences.)

macOS is great!

Eugene Kuchynski
    Eugene Kuchynski
    Belarus
    English to Russian
    Just IMO, no war! Jul 5, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Eugene Kuchynski wrote:

And taking into account what Microsoft does each day for students and young developers, can try to predict that in future things will be even worse for Apple's platform.

Please don't say that. For instance, it's perfectly possible to run a translation office/be a full-time translator, using macOS only.

You're entitled to not support macOS, but please don't make predictions about the feature of macOS. I don't think that you have the necessary information to do so. (Neither do I, BTW, but I can tell you from my own experiences.)

macOS is great!

Sorry, Hans, don't want to step on toes or raise a wave of negative reaction of macOS lovers! No doubt, this OS is reliable, fast, etc. That's just IMO - each one has its own opinion. If to speak about myself, I couldn't set up translation office in a way I like, using Apple computers. And if to speak about BaccS, it must be completely rewritten to make it working on Mac. This simply is not possible. Please, don't take unkindly!

Natalya Danilova
    Natalya Danilova  Identity Verified
    Russian Federation
    Italian to Russian
    + ...
    Thank you Jul 5, 2017

I seldom write any comments on Proz forums but this time I have to say a couple of words. "Thank you" to be exact. Thank you for creating this SW and for giving Plus members a chance to download and use it for free. I've been thinking of buying some SW for invoice and projects management for several months now. That's why this offer came in handy.

Jon Hedemann
    Jon Hedemann  Identity Verified
    Denmark
    English to Danish
    + ...
    Typo in link Jul 5, 2017

Please consider correcting the typo in the link on the front page of Proz.com...

Eugene Kuchynski
    Eugene Kuchynski
    Belarus
    English to Russian
    Question to users Jul 5, 2017

Natalya Danilova wrote:

I seldom write any comments on Proz forums but this time I have to say a couple of words. "Thank you" to be exact. Thank you for creating this SW and for giving Plus members a chance to download and use it for free. I've been thinking of buying some SW for invoice and projects management for several months now. That's why this offer came in handy.

Thank you, Natalya! Really hope you'll enjoy it.

To all users who connected the program with their account. Can you please drop a message to [email protected] if during program launch you get a message "Can't connect with ProZ.com. Please try again"? Integration features still work, but such message appears. On many computers it works well, but 1-2 users had such problem.

To those user who tries to launch the program but get it crashed - please check that you have .NET Framework 4.5.2 installed. You have 4.7, but not 4.5.2. This will be the reason of crash. Mentioned version is required to run the program. Thanks!

--------
    Update 1.
    Indeed there are problems with connection to ProZ profile. Not on all computers. Already found solution and will be fixing tomorrow. Sorry for temporary inconvenience! These are launch days, and it wasn't expected that everything will be smooth. Thanks all for help!

[Редактировалось 2017-07-05 18:51 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
    Henry Dotterer
    Local time: 16:56
    SITE FOUNDER
    Thank you, Natalya! Jul 5, 2017

Natalya Danilova wrote:

Thank you for being a Plus subscriber, and thank you for posting! Please let us (Eugene, or ProZ.com, as appropriate) know if anything can be done to make the software or integrations more useful to you personally.

Eugene Kuchynski
    Eugene Kuchynski
    Belarus
    English to Russian
    All fixed Jul 6, 2017

Dear translators,

Would like to say sorry again for some connectivity problems during first 2 days after launching the program as a part of Plus package. With your help, I was able to quickly find the problems and fix them. Now everything works smoothly and more user-friendly. For example, after connecting to your ProZ.com account, you will get corresponding explanatory message in your browser instead of "Page not found". If you're Plus subscriber, the program will try to check sub
    ... See more
    Dear translators,

Would like to say sorry again for some connectivity problems during first 2 days after launching the program as a part of Plus package. With your help, I was able to quickly find the problems and fix them. Now everything works smoothly and more user-friendly. For example, after connecting to your ProZ.com account, you will get corresponding explanatory message in your browser instead of "Page not found". If you're Plus subscriber, the program will try to check subscription status once per 5 days instead of each launch (this will speed up startup). Hope everything is solved now and integration can be called "truly seamless".

After updating to 2.0.6, just please follow instructions and go to Settings and reconnect the program with your account.
    Also, to add something to this update, Blue Board feedback view has been improved: I've added color highlighting for positive and negative feedback, and it's much easier to read long comments and replies.

Thank you, and will be happy to read more feedback here.
    Collapse

Ahmed ALEM
    Ahmed ALEM
    Algeria
    Member (2014)
    Arabic to English
    + ...
    Thank you! Jul 7, 2017

I would like to thank the software creator for his efforts, it is a new tool for me, I'll be back with more comments after I learn using it.

Keep up the good work

[Edited at 2017-07-07 16:51 GMT]

Eugene Kuchynski
    Eugene Kuchynski
    Belarus
    English to Russian
    And you, Ahmed! Jul 11, 2017

Ahmed ALEM wrote:

I would like to thank the software creator for his efforts, it is a new tool for me, I'll be back with more comments after I learn using it.

Keep up the good work

And to you, Ahmed! Eager to know what you're thinking about it. Each new comment is a source of new ideas

To all:

As always, work never stops, and today BaccS got a new ProZ.com integration function - possibility to set availability. It works almost identically as on the website: select time interval and click corresponding button. The new feature looks like that:

Help article about setting up availability is available here.

In the recent update I've also made several polishing adjustments and fixed all reported bugs.

Next upcoming feature is a workload planner. Will be useful for those who has many ongoing jobs and need a tool which will show day-by-day workload to quickly make a decision about accepting new inquiries. Glad to tell that we're making this feature together with a few BaccS users. As it is pretty complex, can't promise to finish it during a week.
    In addition, will be working on a set of videos to help new users to get started.

Thank you!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Plus package benefit: free, unlimited access to BaccS - a project management tool

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »