Graham Perra
Graham Perra
Canada
Local time: 17:36
English to French
+ ...
Jan 14, 2017

Hello all,

I am currently taking a certificate program (10 courses) in French-English translation and am wondering what my next step should be.

This most may be long, but I will try to give as much detail as possible so you can give me better insight.

My career goal is this: I would like to become a French/Spanish legal translator for human rights organizations or NGOs, mainly in Latin America.

My background:
Canadian, 25 years old. Gr
... See more
Hello all,

I am currently taking a certificate program (10 courses) in French-English translation and am wondering what my next step should be.

This most may be long, but I will try to give as much detail as possible so you can give me better insight.

My career goal is this: I would like to become a French/Spanish legal translator for human rights organizations or NGOs, mainly in Latin America.

My background:
Canadian, 25 years old. Grew up in an entirely English-speaking environment in western Canada but did a B.Sc. in international relations in French at the Université de Montréal. I also did an internship for a human rights NGO in Mexico City (entirely in Spanish). I then went on to law, and did half of my degree, but I ended up going through a burnout/depression and flunked out. Now, I am currently doing a certificate in translation and working as a secretary in an audit firm (both full-time). I have always been passionate about language and I feel very much in my element in translation.

I am itchitng to move abroad this summer, after completing my certificate. I would really like to spend a year or two in Colombia, or perhaps in Mexico or Chile in order to really perfect my Spanish so I can translate into English. I would need to find work. I was thinking of looking for a job as an assistant in a human rights organization (or any other suggestions?). Or does anyone think I could find a job as a French-English translator there? I would also like to do a professional masters or graduate diploma in translation (perhaps online, as I haven't found any Spanish-English translation programs in Latin America, just English-Spanish).

Any advice would be helpfull.

Thanks!
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Helpful website Jan 16, 2017

This website has volunteer and paid internships of every kind---in the U.S. and overseas. www.idealist.org
Also, see what the Canadian government has to offer. They used to fund an international service organization, but I don't know if they still do. !Suerte!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Career advice for aspiring French/Spanish --> English legal translator

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »