How to pay translators abroad
Thread poster: RosaT
RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:23
Jun 5, 2003

Hi there,

What is the most practical way to make payments to people that are not in your country? It should be taken into account that these payments would not be large amounts and that they would not be regular.

If I transfer the money internationally through my bank, it seems I would pay a minimum of 10 British pounds. If I send a British cheque abroad, I guess the recipient will have to pay a percentage of the amount to receive the money.

Is there a prac
... See more
Hi there,

What is the most practical way to make payments to people that are not in your country? It should be taken into account that these payments would not be large amounts and that they would not be regular.

If I transfer the money internationally through my bank, it seems I would pay a minimum of 10 British pounds. If I send a British cheque abroad, I guess the recipient will have to pay a percentage of the amount to receive the money.

Is there a practical way around it?

Also, who is supposed to pay the transaction cost in general? The sender or the recipient? Let's suppose I use a translator abroad, being a translator myself.

Many thanks for any help. All suggestions are welcome.
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:23
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
PayPal may be best after all Jun 26, 2003

I have restricted PayPal to instances when I wasn't sure whether I could trust a customer whose identity I could not verify,
but now I'm coming round to the idea that it may be the best way to pay other free-lancers, particularly for small amounts. I'm aware of the drawbacks, but it is instantly confirmed and reliable.

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
everybody pays, when banks are involved Jul 1, 2003

See also my other answer ("nett invoices").
I wonder if I should use Paypal as well.

Anyway, bankcharges: as long as the party that sends the money, sends you the correct amount in the correct currency.
They will be charged fees, but mostly the receiving bank charges fees as well. They are sometimes less, if it's a bank within the same 'group' (multinational).

Compare it to when you pay by creditcard. You may pay €100, but the one you are paying will recei
... See more
See also my other answer ("nett invoices").
I wonder if I should use Paypal as well.

Anyway, bankcharges: as long as the party that sends the money, sends you the correct amount in the correct currency.
They will be charged fees, but mostly the receiving bank charges fees as well. They are sometimes less, if it's a bank within the same 'group' (multinational).

Compare it to when you pay by creditcard. You may pay €100, but the one you are paying will receive between €95 and €98.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:23
Chinese to English
+ ...
Paypal/Transferwise Jan 31, 2021

Paypal still seems to be the most convenient option for small amounts. I believe Transferwise also works with smaller amounts, but I've never tried to send money through it myself.

I tolerate Payoneer, but it's rather restrictive and I believe it does have a minimum transaction limit.

Mohamad Alayoubi

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Lincoln's time machine Jan 31, 2021

RosaT wrote (in 2003):

Hi there,

What is the most practical way to make payments to people that are not in your country?

Because these posts all seem to be part of Lincoln's time machine, I'll give you an answer which would have worked quite well in 2003, when you asked your question:
Send the amount in banknotes by registered mail. For residues use stamps and/or teabags.
If you are still in 2003 when reading this reply, and you would like to pay bills into the future (we have 2021 now), please use your next parallel universe.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-01-31 08:19 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Erik Freitag
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Lincoln Jan 31, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:
I tolerate Payoneer, but it's rather restrictive and I believe it does have a minimum transaction limit.

According to https://moneytransfers.com/companies/payoneer, it does have a minimum withdrawal amount of $50 or more (and the site has instructions on how to check the minimum that applies to your country), but I have been unable to find any information on the Payoneer web site about minimum withdrawal amounts or even minimum transaction amounts. On the pages that detail the various costs, no such minimums are mentioned.

I am a bit concerned about their annual $30 membership fee (charged only if there have been no transactions of a certain type within the past 12 months) but I don't see any way that they can charge me that fee since I haven't authorised any method of paying them.

Why would you say it is restrictive, Lincoln?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to pay translators abroad

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »