Hev
Hev
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:44
French to English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2021

MemoQ Translator Pro Version 9.6.14

Hi there. Please be gentle.... I'm new to MemoQ. Can anyone help with tags in MemoQ? A client has asked me to translate their website. They have downloaded the content from the website into an xlsx document but when I upload into MemoQ, I see the text of the tags, but it doesn't recognise them as tags but as text instead.

For example, the "strong" tag to denote bold doesn't show up as a tag, but as text with arrows on either side. I
... See more
MemoQ Translator Pro Version 9.6.14

Hi there. Please be gentle.... I'm new to MemoQ. Can anyone help with tags in MemoQ? A client has asked me to translate their website. They have downloaded the content from the website into an xlsx document but when I upload into MemoQ, I see the text of the tags, but it doesn't recognise them as tags but as text instead.

For example, the "strong" tag to denote bold doesn't show up as a tag, but as text with arrows on either side. I can't post here, as the post recognises it as html code and just shows it as bold, but it looks like "arrow, strong, arrow, TEXT TO TRANSLATE, arrow, strong, arrow"

It's a 25,000 word translation so there's no way I can translate it by deciphering all of the tags and including them as text. Is there any way of getting MemoQ to recognise them?

I asked the client if they could send html files instead and I even translated a webpage to show them how the code is recognised, but they're insisting that the only format they can send it in to allow the translated content to be imported back into their website is xlsx.

If it's impossible for MemoQ to recognise them in the xlsx format they've been sent in, is there a file type that you download from a website that I should ask for that will allow what I need?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:44
English to Russian
You can use &-l-t-; and &-g-t-; to enforce those characters Mar 3, 2021

Just remove the "-" character from those two sets of characters, it will turn to < and >.

What regards your main issue, you should use the 'Regex Tagger' feature ('Preparation' tab).
In 'Regular expression' field type: <.*?>
Tag type: Empty
Display text: $0
Press OK.

Mirko Mainardi

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:44
English to Italian
Testing Regular Expressions Mar 3, 2021

I think Stepan already gave you the solution for your issue, however, since I never really learnt to master the secret art of RegEx, I personally find a testing environment useful whenever I have to come up with a new expression to use, like this for instance: https://regexr.com/

Good luck with your project.

Hev
Hev
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 3, 2021

Thank you so much for your help- it worked perfectly.

The only thing I still see is this the "ampersand sign with the letters nbsp" following it. Do you have any ideas if this should be recognised as a tag too? According to google, it's html code for a non breaking space.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond- I really appreciate it.

[Edited at 2021-03-03 14:08 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
&-nbsp-; (?) Mar 3, 2021

Hev wrote:
"ampersand sign with the letters nbsp" following it
+semicolon? [I guess]
This is a non-breaking space.

If you want to replace it with a tag either, you should use the same procedure for "ampersand sign with the letters nbsp". Just type it the way you did with <.*?>. If you missed the ";" char inadvertently (I am not sure if you did), then add it after the "ampersand sign with the letters nbsp".

[Edited at 2021-03-03 13:19 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Replace nbsp with a tag Mar 3, 2021

Hev wrote:
Do you have any ideas if this should be recognised as a tag too?
Yes indeed. Otherwise you may miss it.

Hev
Hev
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 3, 2021

Perfect, thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time out from your day!

Gusztáv Jánvári
Gusztáv Jánvári  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 10:44
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Excel + HTML cascading filter Mar 12, 2021

You should create a cascading filter in which you add an HTML filter after your Excel filter. So that memoQ will first process the Excel file, and then will process the contents of each cell using the HTML filter, which will bring the tags you would like to see so much.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ won't recognise tags from xlsx docs downloaded from a website

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »