Memoq 8.3 is producing message 03091 when a term from the termbase is in another grammatical case
Thread poster: Małgorzata Gardocka
Małgorzata Gardocka
Małgorzata Gardocka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:41
Member (2010)
German to Polish
+ ...
Jan 26, 2018

Hello,

While working in Memoq 8.3, I've noticed a major inconvenience.
Namely, when I'm translating a segment from German into Polish and using in the translation a term from my term base in a case, which is different from the case of that term in the term base, I get the warning message 03091 "The source term is missing from the target".
Such a warning is distracting, because the source term was in fact used, but in another grammatical case, i.e. the warning not valid (
... See more
Hello,

While working in Memoq 8.3, I've noticed a major inconvenience.
Namely, when I'm translating a segment from German into Polish and using in the translation a term from my term base in a case, which is different from the case of that term in the term base, I get the warning message 03091 "The source term is missing from the target".
Such a warning is distracting, because the source term was in fact used, but in another grammatical case, i.e. the warning not valid (to better illustrate my problem, here is a screenshot of this warning, which popped up in segment 13):

Screenshot

Is there a way to make Memoq recognize grammatical cases and prevent this warning from popping up? Is there a solution to change the grammar settings globally (I've recently imported my term bases from SDL Multiterm, so working on each term individually would be very time consuming)?

Kind regards,

Małgorzata
Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 15:41
English to Russian
How to enable detection of additional term inflections in memoQ Jan 28, 2018

Hello Małgorzata,

For Polish and other highly inflected languages, memoQ offers a special way to indicate which part of every word in a term remains the same in any word case / number / gender, and which part change depending on word case / number / gender. To do this, you need to modify the term in the term editor by inserting | between the fixed and variable parts of the words. For your specific term, you would need to insert | as follows:
wyjści|e ewakuacyjn|e

... See more
Hello Małgorzata,

For Polish and other highly inflected languages, memoQ offers a special way to indicate which part of every word in a term remains the same in any word case / number / gender, and which part change depending on word case / number / gender. To do this, you need to modify the term in the term editor by inserting | between the fixed and variable parts of the words. For your specific term, you would need to insert | as follows:
wyjści|e ewakuacyjn|e

When you do this, the value in the Matching field in the term editor will change to Custom, and memoQ will start detecting additional word forms.

I have recently developed a standalone program for modifying memoQ term bases to enable detection of all possible inflections. It works quite well with Polish, although for best results you will need to manually edit some words, especially in terms that consists of 2, 3 or more words.

Here is a brief summary of the program:
http://www.translatortools.net/termeditor-about.html

The program is easy to use: you need to export a memoQ term base in CSV format using specific settings (as explained in the manual and the New Project Wizard), then create a new project inside the program and load the term base file, and, after the program automatically suggests the best possible inflection pattern for a term, you can make some edits using a visual editor. Finally, you need to update the term base file and import it back into memoQ with specific settings so that your existing term base is updated.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
Translation technology consulting, custom software development for LSPs, DTP services
http://www.translatortools.net
Collapse

Małgorzata Gardocka
Małgorzata Gardocka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:41
Member (2010)
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to enable detection of additional term inflections in memoQ Jan 28, 2018

Hello Stanislav,

Thank you for your help, I will look closely at your program, because as I have Memoq, I would like to use it.
Nevertheless, I'm disappointed in this CAT, that it cannot cope with such a basic thing like term inflections and forces translators of inflected languages to do additional, time consuming work.
If I had known about this disadvantage of Memoq, I wouldn't have bought it at all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Memoq 8.3 is producing message 03091 when a term from the termbase is in another grammatical case

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »