Erwin_Franz
Erwin_Franz
Latvia
Local time: 23:04
Russian to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 5, 2015

Dear colleagues,

Our office has received some int files for making a quote. The thing is that these int files consist of many repetitions and phrases which do not need a translation (e.g. (ValueMappings=((Name="Off"),(Name="On"))))

Has anyone some experience with localizing such files? I would really appreciate some advice here.

Thanks in advance!

Abdullah Hassaan
Abdullah Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Transit helps a lot in such situations Oct 5, 2015

Hi Erwin,

In Transit, you can set a filter to hide such segments, that include texts, that you don't want to see\touch.

I don't know, whether other tools can help dealing with such situations.

BR
Abdullah

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:04
English to Thai
+ ...
Trados Oct 5, 2015

AbdullahHassaan wrote:

Hi Erwin,

In Transit, you can set a filter to hide such segments, that include texts, that you don't want to see\touch.

I don't know, whether other tools can help dealing with such situations.

BR
Abdullah

I am familiar with many Trados versions. They count (ignore) coding strings correctly as well.

Soonthon L.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFC or Trados 2007 Oct 5, 2015

Erwin_Franz wrote:
Our office has received some int files for making a quote. The thing is that these int files consist of many repetitions and phrases which do not need a translation (e.g. (ValueMappings=((Name="Off"),(Name="On")))).

I've had to deal with similar files. I would open them in MS Word and then mark the non-translatable text as either tw4winExternal or tw4winInternal, and then translate it with WFC (although you could also translate it then with Trados 2007, or any other tool that supports those styles).

Erwin_Franz
Erwin_Franz
Latvia
Russian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I could try Transit Oct 5, 2015

Thank you all for giving advice.

Unfortunately, opening these files in Trados or other CAT tools didn't help. There are still many unnecessary segments or segment parts.

Marking parts in MS Word would be too time consuming.

I could try Transit. Is there a trial version for this tool?

Thanks!

Erwin_Franz
Erwin_Franz
Latvia
Russian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Instructions for Transit NXT Oct 5, 2015

Dear Abdullah,

Thank you for the advice. I have Transit NXT available but I am not sure, if I know how to open such files there. I am used to work only with transit packages. Maybe, you could give some short instructions?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Processing int files with CAT tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »