Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:14
German to English
+ ...
Feb 29, 2016

Currently when a Kudoz Q is posted, it retains its initial 'pro' (or 'non-pro', as selected by Asker) status until 3 eligible users/members vote otherwise.

Only after a Q has been promoted/demoted can users who agreed with its previous status show their opinions by reverse vote. Many such users will not revisit the Q.

Shouldn't users in the meantime also have the opportunity to vote that a Q remain at its current status when they see that others are trying to bump it u
... See more
Currently when a Kudoz Q is posted, it retains its initial 'pro' (or 'non-pro', as selected by Asker) status until 3 eligible users/members vote otherwise.

Only after a Q has been promoted/demoted can users who agreed with its previous status show their opinions by reverse vote. Many such users will not revisit the Q.

Shouldn't users in the meantime also have the opportunity to vote that a Q remain at its current status when they see that others are trying to bump it up/down?

Thoughts?
Not muy importante. C
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree Mar 1, 2016

This is something I also thought of years ago, but never bothered to comment on (because, as you indicate, it isn't exactly of earth-shaking importance).

Yet it is beyond question that the current system is heavily slanted in favor of demoting "Pro" questions to "non-Pro" given that reversals following such a demotion are highly improbable, for the reasons you describe.

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:14
Russian to English
+ ...
Is this even an issue? Mar 1, 2016

I have been a member ProZ.com for almost 9 years now, and I have never seen a question either promoted or demoted. I have to wonder: what's the point? In my language pairs, at least, questions are treated seriously whether they are denoted Pro or non-Pro.

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
Agree Mar 1, 2016

It's not important, but it's not right, either.
This is mostly an issue when questions are originally asked as Non-PRO questions (why?) while they should be PRO questions (i.e. answerers should have the chance to earn KudoZ).

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:14
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@Cilian and Robert Mar 2, 2016

You mean English monolingual questions, right?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bugbear Mar 2, 2016

As someone who has had several queries downgraded, I feel quite miffed when it happens. If I post a basic, simple term, there is usually a bona fide reason (polysemy, seeking 2nd opinions, etc). I've posted a few times about it. The culprits tend to be the same small group of "holier than though"usual suspects who need to curb their enthusiasm a bit IMHO.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Agree Mar 2, 2016

I agree with Cilian. Maybe not very important, but it sounds like a rather sensible idea based on the reason he mentioned. Besides, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to implement.

Is there a way to have this actually taken into consideration by ProZ instead of just dying out in this thread?

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:14
English to German
+ ...
Ideas Mar 3, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Is there a way to have this actually taken into consideration by ProZ instead of just dying out in this thread?

There is an "Ideas" section on ProZ where this an be posted and voted for:
https://proz.uservoice.com/forums/37172-proz-com-ideas

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Right Mar 4, 2016

Johanna Timm, PhD wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I had kind of stumbled on that a couple times in the past (via Google), but forgot about it soon after. It doesn't appear to be logically connected to ProZ itself (it's not in the navigation menu, if I'm not mistaken) and the way it's organized seems rather chaotic.

At any rate, if Cilian decides to post his idea there, he has my vote(s) (provided I know it's there.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
It is! Mar 4, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Johanna Timm, PhD wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I had kind of stumbled on that a couple times in the past (via Google), but forgot about it soon after. It doesn't appear to be logically connected to ProZ itself (it's not in the navigation menu, if I'm not mistaken) and the way it's organized seems rather chaotic.

At any rate, if Cilian decides to post his idea there, he has my vote(s) (provided I know it's there.

It is in the navigation menu of Proz - top right corner - Ideas with a lightbulb image!

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
WOW Mar 4, 2016

Lori Cirefice wrote:

It is in the navigation menu of Proz - top right corner - Ideas with a lightbulb image!

And it's even in plain sight! I swear I had never noticed it before! Wow, that's weird...

Anyhow, thanks for telling me, Lori

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voting PRO and non-PRO

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »