Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
How many Kudoz askers have you put on ignore?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:41
Dutch to German
+ ...
KudoZ merits based on quality only Jan 11, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
Would anyone else agree that the list of top Kudoz answerers should be discontinued?

In its current form: yes.

Quantity should not be a factor at all in meriting participation on KudoZ, only quality.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:41
English to Spanish
... Jan 11, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Off-topic:

... in Italian "egregio" means "most excellent" as when writing a letter to someone important, one might begin "Egregio Professore....."

Same thing in Spanish, and probably also in the rest of all Romance languages.

[Edited at 2016-01-11 17:25 GMT]

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 16:41
Member (2003)
French to English
Can askers put answerers on ignore? Jan 11, 2016

I know this thread is about putting askers on ignore, but just wondering if askers are able to block certain members/users from answering their questions? It just would seem fair. (Please note that I have not asked a KudoZ question in a long time.)

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Great question, Tom! Jan 11, 2016

About 25 in my case.

Wouldn't it be nice if this information were public? We could have a league table of the people most ignored by other contributors, and there could be an annual prize for the winner. Maybe a one-way ticket to Novosibirsk.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Same ones? Jan 11, 2016

philgoddard wrote:

About 25 in my case.

Wouldn't it be nice if this information were public? We could have a league table of the people most ignored by other contributors, and there could be an annual prize for the winner. Maybe a one-way ticket to Novosibirsk.

Phil - maybe you and I could compare our lists. I bet we have the same people on ignore.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Since there is no Like button on ProZ... Jan 11, 2016

Chris S wrote:

I switched off loads of eejits and KudoZ suddenly became very boring, so I've switched them all back on again for entertainment value

...I just wanted to say I found this funny.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Tom Jan 11, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Phil - maybe you and I could compare our lists. I bet we have the same people on ignore.

The people at ProZ probably know who the worst offenders are. Maybe they have the league table printed out on the wall in the office.

You and I have one language in common, so our lists are probably very different. But here is mine:

[The rest of this message has been deleted by moderators]

[Edited at 2016-01-11 18:16 GMT]

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:41
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Just a few Jan 11, 2016

About five or six. Of these only two or three are currently active Kudoz askers.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
None Jan 11, 2016

I wasn't aware there was an ignore/blocking function available. Must have a look for it sometime when I've got a minute.

PS: AFAIK non-members are restricted to certain number of queries per week, or at least they used to be. Whatever the case, something like a "stick to the day job" or "chancer" button would be a good idea...

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
How many Kudoz askers have you put on ignore? Jan 12, 2016

None yet, but I sometimes question the justice of answering them. On the one hand, I can help avert a (usually) small-scale disaster. On the other hand, it sometimes makes me feel like I'm an enabler. I see a lot of legal-translation questions asked by people who don't have a faint clue, which can't not make me conclude that a lot of legal texts must be translated by people who don't have a clue. In a must number of cases the asker simply doesn't know the language well enough to translate into i... See more
None yet, but I sometimes question the justice of answering them. On the one hand, I can help avert a (usually) small-scale disaster. On the other hand, it sometimes makes me feel like I'm an enabler. I see a lot of legal-translation questions asked by people who don't have a faint clue, which can't not make me conclude that a lot of legal texts must be translated by people who don't have a clue. In a must number of cases the asker simply doesn't know the language well enough to translate into it, or from it.

Unfortunately, the rules prevent you from commenting on this, and staff are willing to enforce that interpretation, even though there's usually more common sense in the practical application of KudoZ rules by PLEN moderators than in the actual text of the rules.

I don't like the whole routine of having to pretend that the kind of askers I mentioned are qualified translate professionally. However, I'm happy to see that at least in the forums you can tell people that their command of the language is not sufficient to translate into it and such posts aren't edited or deleted by staff members or moderators.

Katrin Bosse wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
Would anyone else agree that the list of top Kudoz answerers should be discontinued?

In its current form: yes.

Quantity should not be a factor at all in meriting participation on KudoZ, only quality.

I must respectfully but profoundly disagree with that, Katrin. In helping others, quantity matters too. It does matter how many people you help, how often. Say, if you were to volunteer one day a year at a soup kitchen but put in your best effort, how would that be more helpful than the work of permanent half-time staff who spend all their free time there? Or helping just one person cross the street but being extra helpful and courteous and all, how would that be more helpful than helping a hundred?

Ideally, giving wrong answers with high confidence ratings should detract from the score, sure. But KudoZ points and 'leaderboards' etc. are supposed to be a reflection of helpfulness, not skill. They are not directly meant to establish who is the best translator out there, or most authoritative, nope.

[Edited at 2016-01-12 09:55 GMT]
Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
297 and rising slowly. Jan 12, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Being able to put Kudoz askers on ignore is a very useful feature.

[Edited at 2016-01-11 09:53 GMT]

Interesting question. I wondered if there would be a software limit at 256 (2^8) but no!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wow Jan 12, 2016

DLyons wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Being able to put Kudoz askers on ignore is a very useful feature.

[Edited at 2016-01-11 09:53 GMT]

Interesting question. I wondered if there would be a software limit at 256 (2^8) but no!

Wow - I thought my 34 was the upper limit! Mr Lyons: you must have an enormous number of persistently annoying askers in Spanish/English!

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably more accurate to say that I'm an easily annoyed answerer :-) Jan 12, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Wow - I thought my 34 was the upper limit! Mr Lyons: you must have an enormous number of persistently annoying askers in Spanish/English!

But yes, there are the people who seem to be translating books line by line, with no cultural awareness of the ST ...

The people who translate high-risk areas such as Medicine, Nuclear or Power plants ... and who clearly do not have the requisite technical competence. I actually wonder about the ethics of answering in such cases.

The people who ask ridiculous numbers of questions that any marginally-competent translator could answer off the top of their head or with 30 secs Googling ...

The downright rude ...

And, as already mentioned, many people from low-cost countries whose rates are lower than mine could possibly be. Good luck to them I say, but neither do I see much reason to answer their questions.

[Edited at 2016-01-12 15:32 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Donal Jan 12, 2016

I'm interested to know whether having such a large list affects the quality of the questions you see. Are they all sensible, well thought-out questions by consummate professionals, or are there so many bad questions that no amount of filtering will help?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Me too Jan 12, 2016

philgoddard wrote:

I'm interested to know whether having such a large list affects the quality of the questions you see. Are they all sensible, well thought-out questions by consummate professionals, or are there so many bad questions that no amount of filtering will help?

I was wondering that too. But it's reassuring to know that there's another Irishman who's even more easily annoyed than I am (we're easily annoyed). Even so, 256 annoying people seem like a lot.

So I suppose my next question would be: how many people do you *not* have on ignore?

[Edited at 2016-01-12 15:49 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many Kudoz askers have you put on ignore?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »