Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Do you say "thank you" if you get a KudoZ-agree?
Thread poster: Christina B.
Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:33
French to German
+ ...
May 2, 2015

Hi everybody!

When I post an "agree" to a KudoZ-answerer, I sometimes get back a "thank you". Probably it's often ment as a "thank you for taking the time" and the answerer want's to be nice to me, but I must admit that I can feel a bit confused about it.

Let me try to explain:

I don't agree with an answerer because I want to be nice to this person or because I want to give a compliment. ("Well done!" --> "Thank you!" seems appropriate,
... See more
Hi everybody!

When I post an "agree" to a KudoZ-answerer, I sometimes get back a "thank you". Probably it's often ment as a "thank you for taking the time" and the answerer want's to be nice to me, but I must admit that I can feel a bit confused about it.

Let me try to explain:

I don't agree with an answerer because I want to be nice to this person or because I want to give a compliment. ("Well done!" --> "Thank you!" seems appropriate,
"I agree with you" --> "Thank you!" sounds a bit funny)

If I say thank you for an "agree", what should I say for a "disagree"?

If someone agrees with me, should I send a little "thank you"? (Of course, it's nice to get a little "thank you"-message, but it seems like contributing to taking KudoZ personally.)

What do you think?
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
In Spain... May 2, 2015

... we say "Donde fueres haz lo que vieres" ==> "Do whatever locals do wherever you go".

So when I landed here, I began thanking for "agrees"... and personally thanking for "disagrees" too (we can learn fron mistakes).

"Agrees" are an opinion and a way to earn Kudoz too, so why not to thank a colleague that gives you points and is willing to say his opinion? He could as well have the same opinion on a term and withdraw it from you.

Kudoz allow us to get hig
... See more
... we say "Donde fueres haz lo que vieres" ==> "Do whatever locals do wherever you go".

So when I landed here, I began thanking for "agrees"... and personally thanking for "disagrees" too (we can learn fron mistakes).

"Agrees" are an opinion and a way to earn Kudoz too, so why not to thank a colleague that gives you points and is willing to say his opinion? He could as well have the same opinion on a term and withdraw it from you.

Kudoz allow us to get higher rank. So we should thank a colleague that is generous enough to forget this.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:33
Member (2013)
English to Russian
No May 2, 2015

I've never understood why answerers thank whoever agrees with their translation.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Why not? May 2, 2015

Why not?

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
No. May 2, 2015

Thanks for agreeing with my answer and Thanks and a good choice to first agree with Thanks and another right choice to any subsequent agrees are just two examples I've actually seen on Kudoz that show how absurd saying thank you can get. People who find Kudoz pointz important may well be grateful for every agree. I respect people's opinions even if they don't agree but I don't see any purpose in systematically thanking them for expressing them.

[Edited at 2015-05
... See more
Thanks for agreeing with my answer and Thanks and a good choice to first agree with Thanks and another right choice to any subsequent agrees are just two examples I've actually seen on Kudoz that show how absurd saying thank you can get. People who find Kudoz pointz important may well be grateful for every agree. I respect people's opinions even if they don't agree but I don't see any purpose in systematically thanking them for expressing them.

[Edited at 2015-05-03 00:25 GMT]
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 13:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes. May 2, 2015

It's the custom on this site to acknowledge that you've seen the response to your post--similar to "Liking" responses to a Facebook post.

I'm not offended if answerers don't thank me for a KudoZ agree, but I like it when they do, particularly if they add a comment to my comment, thus creating a friendly dialogue.

This is a professional site that I use primarily for help with my own translations, but I enjoy the social aspects of it as well.

When in Rome, do
... See more
It's the custom on this site to acknowledge that you've seen the response to your post--similar to "Liking" responses to a Facebook post.

I'm not offended if answerers don't thank me for a KudoZ agree, but I like it when they do, particularly if they add a comment to my comment, thus creating a friendly dialogue.

This is a professional site that I use primarily for help with my own translations, but I enjoy the social aspects of it as well.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. It's possible that, in some language pairs, thanking for agrees is not the norm as it is in the Spanish/English division.

And yes, I respond to disagrees as well, almost always with a comment and a thank-you.
Collapse

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes May 3, 2015

I was raised well.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
So someone who doesn't say 'thank you' to each and every agree May 3, 2015

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

I was raised well.

wasn't raised well?

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Certainly! May 3, 2015

It´s a matter of common courtesy to me to thank for "agrees". It´s part of the minimalistic form of communication you practice in this pages. When I started to participate in Kudoz, the first thing that I had to learn was that the social elements were as important as the linguistic ones. They may work differently in each language pair, but they are always there.
On the other hand I am against giving "disagrees" to a peer. I'm not the school teacher of my peers to lecture them about a wro
... See more
It´s a matter of common courtesy to me to thank for "agrees". It´s part of the minimalistic form of communication you practice in this pages. When I started to participate in Kudoz, the first thing that I had to learn was that the social elements were as important as the linguistic ones. They may work differently in each language pair, but they are always there.
On the other hand I am against giving "disagrees" to a peer. I'm not the school teacher of my peers to lecture them about a wrong answer. And I most definitively disagree to "disagrees" between peers that are concurring with an answer to the same question. It is unfair, because it is given in a competitive situation.
I think it is important to remember "the human factor" behind the icons. IMO everything we write on these pages, has a strong symbolic meaning as well as a practical one.
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:33
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I do May 3, 2015

Yes, it is a courtesy. I usually say thank you to all comments, no matter agrees or not. For me it is about thanking for their time.

On the other hand, I do not get offended when people do not say thank you to me.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
We've had this discussion before, May 3, 2015

I can't find the threads at the mo ...

Some people see it as common politeness, others see it as currying favour, as distasteful/unprofessional arselicking.

Both standpoints are legitimate, I suppose.

Must go now, boxfight is about to start...

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
In Rome... on fait comme les romains! May 3, 2015

If you search the forums, you will see that this question comes back regularly. It's after reading such a discussion that I decided to "go with the flow" and thank people who agree with my answers. I can't remember which selling point "won", but after all, clicking agree/neutral/disagree is part of the "help" system, most participants take it seriously, and it occasionally generates valuable discussions. So, it is worth saying a little thank you!

[Edited at 2015-05-03 03:28 GMT]

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
No May 3, 2015

because I seldom go back to my answers to check for "agrees", or only a long time after. And I disabled the option sending answers to my e-mail - these discussions were clogging my mail!

Claudia Cherici
Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Why not, indeed May 3, 2015

It's a polite way of acknowledging the effort made by agreers. Why not??

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
No, I do not—usually I do not, May 3, 2015

not because I am rude but often I do not check the replies, plus I do not really like social conventions like that which eventually turn to almost bowing. Also, if you usually thank someone, and then you are busy, let's say, most people will get offended, if you do not do it once for twice. No, I do not, and I will not.

[Edited at 2015-05-03 07:22 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you say "thank you" if you get a KudoZ-agree?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »