Is it safe for an interpreter to go to a pharmaceutical production site being unvaccinated?
Thread poster: Zhanna Rohalska
Zhanna Rohalska
Zhanna Rohalska
United States
Local time: 13:49
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 18, 2017

If it produces vaccines.

Thanks!

Zhanna

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:49
Czech to French
+ ...
Why should it be dangerous? Jan 18, 2017

The strains used for vaccine production are not around in the air, they are strictly enclosed and controlled.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Like any other staff. Jan 18, 2017

Interpreter is like any other non-medical staff in a medical facility, so it's as risky for you as it is for anyone else, eg. the person you will be interpreting for - ask them how they are protecting themselves. If there are any protection protocols or risks, you will be informed in advance.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sounds like ... Jan 18, 2017

... one of the safest places you could go. I mean, they're bound to have loads of drugs there to protect you. Maybe at a price.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
But ... Jan 18, 2017

... don't let them try out any of their untested products on you, Zhanna. Sign nothing. Only accept stuff in properly labelled bottles, vials and packets. So oral administration from a test tube is out. And as for any syringes whipped out from someone's coat pocket, remember Nancy Reagan ... Just Say No.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mervyn... Jan 18, 2017

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... don't let them try out any of their untested products on you, Zhanna. Sign nothing. Only accept stuff in properly labelled bottles, vials and packets. So oral administration from a test tube is out. And as for any syringes whipped out from someone's coat pocket, remember Nancy Reagan ... Just Say No.

You are too funny.

ROFL

[Edited at 2017-01-18 18:09 GMT]

Zhanna Rohalska
Zhanna Rohalska
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, colleagues! Jan 19, 2017

Now I feel reassured and confident.

Zhanna

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
They will do everything to keep your germs out of their vaccines... Jan 19, 2017

So probably nothing will go the other way.

Just wear clean, comfortable, normal clothes. They will provide a mask or protective clothing if you have to go anywhere 'sensitive' to talk to employees. But it is for their sake at least as much as yours!

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:49
Serbian to English
+ ...
if it's a production site Jan 22, 2017

you should be more worried about possible traffic accidents on the way to there.

OTOH, if it's in fact a research facility it would be a totally different ball game ...

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
@Zhanna Jan 23, 2017

Hopefully you, at least as an interpreter, did learn a little about the company and vaccination, so now you're more aware and confident.

Yet my question is whether you had certain contract terms regarding the issue, if any?

Thank you

jiunyoun
jiunyoun
New Zealand
Local time: 06:49
English to Korean
+ ...
Generally, those people are more worried about getting contaminated from 'outside'. Jan 24, 2017

Rather than the other way around

Such a lab has a very strict set of regulations, and you will most likely go through a brief format of health and safety induction session and a proper protective wear will be given. I can imagine such a procedure can be a bit alarming , but just stay calm and follow their rules, and you will be okay.

I worked both in academia and industry, and I got the impression that
... See more
Rather than the other way around

Such a lab has a very strict set of regulations, and you will most likely go through a brief format of health and safety induction session and a proper protective wear will be given. I can imagine such a procedure can be a bit alarming , but just stay calm and follow their rules, and you will be okay.

I worked both in academia and industry, and I got the impression that pharmaceutical companies observe such safety related rules a lot better than academics and PhD students do.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it safe for an interpreter to go to a pharmaceutical production site being unvaccinated?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »