Thread poster: xulihang
xulihang
xulihang
China
Local time: 04:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2021

Sometimes, we need to translate images. The source text has to be replaced with the target text and the image may even has to be retouched. Posters and comic images are such cases.

Here is an example of one frame in English and Japanese from Lezhin Comics.

English

Japanese

I created ImageTrans to do such a job. It can automatically locate text, extract text, use machine translation to translate and reinject translation.

It is also a computer-aided translation tool. Translation memory and terms management are supported.

It can export results to XLIFF and Excel files to utilize other CAT tools and image editors like Trados and Photoshop.

ImageTrans

[Edited at 2021-01-09 11:42 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Ulul

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:47
English to Russian
Interesting Jan 10, 2021

Looks interesting. Is it one-off fee ($10), or per month/year/...?

xulihang
xulihang
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is a one-time fee Jan 11, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Looks interesting. Is it one-off fee ($10), or per month/year/...?

It is a one-time fee. ImageTrans is a desktop software and can work offline. I do not provide a subscription service which is like a hub of all kinds of OCR and machine translation apis. Users have to apply for API keys on their own.

I set up the price based on Chinese RMB, so it may be quite affordable for people in some countries.

Stepan Konev
Yaotl Altan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@xulihang Jan 11, 2021

xulihang wrote:
Sometimes, we need to translate images. The source text has to be replaced with the target text and the image may even has to be retouched. Posters and comic images are such cases. ... Here is an example of one frame in English and Japanese from Lezhin Comics.

A tool such as yours can be useful for fansubbing or in cases where the original comic's publisher refuses to hand over the layered image files for whatever reason. But the ideal would be to get a hold of the layered images (in which the speech bubbles are on a different layer, and can thus be resized without the need to edit the image behind it).

Yaotl Altan
Ulul

xulihang
xulihang
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Jan 11, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

xulihang wrote:
Sometimes, we need to translate images. The source text has to be replaced with the target text and the image may even has to be retouched. Posters and comic images are such cases. ... Here is an example of one frame in English and Japanese from Lezhin Comics.

A tool such as yours can be useful for fansubbing or in cases where the original comic's publisher refuses to hand over the layered image files for whatever reason. But the ideal would be to get a hold of the layered images (in which the speech bubbles are on a different layer, and can thus be resized without the need to edit the image behind it).

Exactly, so I also provide photoshop scripts to support layers files.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Any trial period? Jan 11, 2021

I have downloaded and installed your program to try it. But it seems to work (or launch as a minimum) without any requirement for license. Could you please explain, what is the catch? I would like to buy it after I figure out how it works. However, I can't see why I need a license for now...

xulihang
xulihang
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm afraid you've downloaded BasicCAT Jan 11, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

I have downloaded and installed your program to try it. But it seems to work (or launch as a minimum) without any requirement for license. Could you please explain, what is the catch? I would like to buy it after I figure out how it works. However, I can't see why I need a license for now...

I am afraid you've downloaded BasicCAT which is free. Do you have any screenshots?

You have to pay to download ImageTrans and get the order reference id to verify whether you have purchased it to get it run.

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ok Jan 11, 2021

xulihang wrote:
I am afraid you've downloaded BasicCAT which is free. Do you have any screenshots?
You have to pay to download ImageTrans and get the order reference id to verify whether you have purchased it to get it run.

Ah, I got it now. Ok, then I will email you then once I figure out how to convert my currency into USD on PayPal. Thank you.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY Jan 12, 2021

I would like to try this before I decide whether or not to buy it. Possible?

Stepan Konev
neilmac

xulihang
xulihang
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Currently you have to buy it first Jan 12, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Currently you have to buy it first. Mail me if you want a refund in 7 days.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:47
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pairs Jan 13, 2021

xulihang wrote:

Sometimes, we need to translate images. The source text has to be replaced with the target text and the image may even has to be retouched. Posters and comic images are such cases.

ImageTrans

Does it work in other pairs like English > Spanish, French > Italian?

xulihang
xulihang
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works Jan 13, 2021

Yaotl Altan wrote:

xulihang wrote:

ImageTrans

Does it work in other pairs like English > Spanish, French > Italian?

Yes, it works. The limitation is on the side of OCR and machine translation. ImageTrans has integrated OCR engines like Tesseract, Google, Azure, Baidu, etc and machine translation services provided by Goolge, Azure, Baidu, niutrans, etc.

The tool itself is language-agnostic. There are some language specific functions, like ocr optimization options for Japanese manga and a vertical text engine for Chinese/Japanese/Korean.

Yaotl Altan
Dalia Nour

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:47
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Payment Jan 13, 2021

xulihang wrote:

Yes, it works. The limitation is on the side of OCR and machine translation. ImageTrans has integrated OCR engines like Tesseract, Google, Azure, Baidu, etc and machine translation services provided by Goolge, Azure, Baidu, niutrans, etc.

The tool itself is language-agnostic. There are some language specific functions, like ocr optimization options for Japanese manga and a vertical text engine for Chinese/Japanese/Korean.

OK, may I pay you via Paypal? 10 USD?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Interesting indeed Jan 13, 2021

Personally I don't translate animations, but I will keep you in mind if the situation changes, or if I meet colleagues who can use it.

Keep up the good work!

Rob Rietvelt

[Edited at 2021-01-13 18:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-01-13 18:16 GMT]

xulihang

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@ Tom Disagree Jan 13, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Normally I would agree with you, but in this case, what is 10 USD? Order one chips and fish less.
Xulihang did offer you an alternative. Have faith!

You are an entrepeneur, so accept the challenge. My motto: You win some, you loose some.

(sorry, but I couldn't find the disagree button)

[Edited at 2021-01-13 18:14 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Tool to Translate Images

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »