Tamatoa Audouin  Identity Verified
French Polynesia
Local time: 13:15
Member (2014)
Tahitian to French
+ ...
Sep 5, 2015

Hi,
I'm looking for a good Web-based CAT Tool solution to install on my own server, using my own databases and not the ones I've seen until now, which all say "cloud-based" when in fact they keep everything on their own servers.
Any suggestions?

Tamatoa

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:15
English to Thai
+ ...
Non-continuous concordance Sep 5, 2015

tamatoa wrote:

I'm looking for a good Web-based CAT Tool solution to install on my own server, using my own databases and not the ones I've seen until now, which all say "cloud-based" when in fact they keep everything on their own servers.
Any suggestions?

Tamatoa

I use web-based CAT tools frequently and the weakest point (if compared with standalone CAT like Trados) is lack of consistence concordance search. For example, in my latest editing project, I first proofread via web. Later the client wanted another editing/review and the previous TM is no more available. This makes working more tedious.
In short, you should install the system where translators can also use your resource offline. There are so many candidates, right?

Soonthon L.

[Edited at 2015-09-05 02:37 GMT]

Gabrielle Ebondje

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:15
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Cloud-based set-up is not standardized Sep 5, 2015

tamatoa wrote:
Any suggestions?

Hi Tamatoa,

It all depends on how you define the term "cloud-based", and there are many different interpretations of that term. There are different levels of cloud solutions, private versus public (and in-between). These factors are taken into account in defining a given cloud-based solution. In the majority of cases, the "Cloud" is cloudy.

I work for a large software company which has been transitioning to cloud-based solutions over the past several years. This is seldomly simple from a technical standpoint. The threshold of financial viability for the solution provider, and how to pass the cost on to the customer-base, is always very tricky on this point. It is easier if and when all the customers are enterprise-level users.
And myself the president of a cultural/artistic non-profit association for musical activities and a paying user of a 3rd party cloud-based server solution for our operational needs, I can attest to the high cost of such a service for a small institution. We had a committee of software developer geeks analysing all solutions on the market before making a choice.

Another issue to take into consideration is the feasbility of solution. As users of such a solution for small institutions, and being many very experienced software solution provider geeks at the same time, we found that these type of cloud-based solutions are actually very time-consuming and complicated to set up, configure and maintain. Doing large-scale, turn-key cloud-based solutions for enterprise customers is a different story because you make it easy to customer to use, and then you charge it into the price of a large solution to a minimum to average known set of users of the customer base.

If you look at all the CAT / TM tool providers are the market, the majority of them have always been, and still are, small to medium sized companies. The Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), and how much more to charge in offering a 3rd party cloud set-up, are a difficult reality for software development companies of such small sizes.

Tony O'Dowd, the founder and previous owner of Alchemy Software (Catalyst), and now the founder and CTO of the KantanMT solution, gave a very interesting talk about this very topic (including set-up costs for small companies providing software and service provisioning) at the Networking Days (ND) of the European Language Industry Association (ELIA) in Lyon (16-17 April 2015).
http://www.elia-association.org/Networking_Days/ND_Lyon_-_Apr_2015_pages/Program

Jeff

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Why web-based? Sep 5, 2015

Hi Tamatoa,

why do you need a web-based cat tool if you are not going to the web, anyway?

If you do not want to use the web/internet (but your LAN, as I assume), you can use any TM/TDB server-client solution that there is on the market.

By the way, the meaning of "cloud" is simply that the data are not saved locally, but on some server anywhere on earth, and the data are accessed via the internet. So, "cloud" is just a nice sounding metaphor for "internet s
... See more
Hi Tamatoa,

why do you need a web-based cat tool if you are not going to the web, anyway?

If you do not want to use the web/internet (but your LAN, as I assume), you can use any TM/TDB server-client solution that there is on the market.

By the way, the meaning of "cloud" is simply that the data are not saved locally, but on some server anywhere on earth, and the data are accessed via the internet. So, "cloud" is just a nice sounding metaphor for "internet server". And it disguises the fact that you do not have full control of your own data.

Best regards
Hermann
Collapse

Gabrielle Ebondje

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, "cloud" has become a buzzword Sep 5, 2015

Hermann Bruns wrote:
By the way, the meaning of "cloud" is simply that the data are not saved locally, but on some server anywhere on earth, and the data are accessed via the internet.

If that were the real meaning of "cloud", then all web sites are "cloud-based". (-: If resources are stored on a single server that the user can identify, then it aint "cloud". Unfortunately "cloud" has become a bit of a buzzword, and the term is being misused for almost any service that requires an internet connection.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which ones have you found wanting? Sep 5, 2015

tamatoa wrote:
I'm looking for a good web-based CAT tool solution to install on my own server, using my own databases.

The only web-based CAT tool that you can install on your own server that I'm aware of is Pootle, but I wouldn't call it "good". It's main strengths are in facilitating the maintaining of large numbers of projects and languages, and its main weakness is its lack of features that actual translators require, such as control over translation memories and glossaries.

...and not the ones I've seen until now, which all say "cloud-based" when in fact they keep everything on their own servers.

Which ones have you tried/investigated?

[Edited at 2015-09-05 09:36 GMT]

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:15
Cloud vs self-hosted Sep 5, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

If that were the real meaning of "cloud", then all web sites are "cloud-based". (-: If resources are stored on a single server that the user can identify, then it aint "cloud". Unfortunately "cloud" has become a bit of a buzzword, and the term is being misused for almost any service that requires an internet connection.

It is indeed overused as the latest "tech buzzword" - generally, though, it should mean the data lives on the provider's servers (which are 'invisible' to you, you just see the resulting service). The phrase the original poster should probably use in a search is "self-hosted", meaning it runs on your own server not theirs.

No specific recommendations, but using that phrase rather than cloud-based should help in the search.

Tamatoa Audouin
Tamatoa Audouin  Identity Verified
French Polynesia
Local time: 13:15
Member (2014)
Tahitian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good web-based and self-hosted CAT tool Sep 5, 2015

Hi all,
Māuruuru for your replies.

I got my answer with James Sutherland. Indeed, it seems that most web-based CAT tools host you data on their servers. That means they have access to your data, even though they tell you it's safe, confidential, bla bla bla.

I however just want my data to be stored on my own server, that is, a host server located at home, as close as possible to me.

So thank you James for putting the correct label on what I'm looking
... See more
Hi all,
Māuruuru for your replies.

I got my answer with James Sutherland. Indeed, it seems that most web-based CAT tools host you data on their servers. That means they have access to your data, even though they tell you it's safe, confidential, bla bla bla.

I however just want my data to be stored on my own server, that is, a host server located at home, as close as possible to me.

So thank you James for putting the correct label on what I'm looking for. So now I'm on the lookout for a good web-based (or browser-based I should say) and self-hosted CAT tool.
Any suggestions welcome!

Again, māuruuru!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Boltran? Sep 5, 2015

tamatoa wrote:
So now I'm on the lookout for a good web-based (or browser-based I should say) and self-hosted CAT tool.

I'm not sure if Boltran still works:
http://sourceforge.net/p/boltran/boltran/ci/master/tree/
It's a web-based version of an older version of OmegaT.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 08:15
Matecat Sep 7, 2015

I believe you could self-host your own version of Matecat. Here is their installation guide.

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
MateCat (Wordfast and Metatexis) Sep 7, 2015

tamatoa wrote:

Hi,
I'm looking for a good Web-based CAT Tool solution to install on my own server, using my own databases...

Matecat is handled through browser Chrome.
MateCat is free tool, you can download and install it at home or elswere you want. I think it requires Ubuntu 64. On web of Matecat are filters for big range of file formats. I am not sure of the same in offered version.

Wordfast and Metatexis use MS Word as editor.
Wordfast Classic and Metatexis are CAT for MS Word. Both tools run in MS Windows. Metatexis offers to store TMs and TDB in databases, there is possibility to use SQL server. Both tools offers own Server. They can be in local area network, they run in MS Windows, too.
For privacy, WFC can be connected to local Machine translation engine for MS Word.

Another solution is to use Team projects with OmegaT. Data of "team project" are on your GIT or SVN server.

Milan

Cem Bekis
Cem Bekis
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Misleading Sep 9, 2015

MateCat sends translated segments to its developer company, that is "translated.net".

Because, MateCat is a Machine Translation Enhanced Computer Assisted Translation application and it runs in connection with their machine translation service, what is more, it trains their machine translation application with every translated segment through MateCat.

Although they tell that you can use it free on your own server, with your own database, its installation requires a conn
... See more
MateCat sends translated segments to its developer company, that is "translated.net".

Because, MateCat is a Machine Translation Enhanced Computer Assisted Translation application and it runs in connection with their machine translation service, what is more, it trains their machine translation application with every translated segment through MateCat.

Although they tell that you can use it free on your own server, with your own database, its installation requires a connection to their machine translation service (and to their tm database) for the purpose of training their machine translation application (and to feed their tm database).

You can opt out connecting them for project creation stage (getting stats related with your document for project quotation through translated.net service) and this criples the application by disabling all file formats you can work with except a certain XLIFF format, however it still connects to their machine translation service and to their database during translation.

And what is the good of it if you have to have your documents to translate only in a certain XLIFF format? You can not even translate a docx file with cripled version of MateCat. You can read these in their documentation.

Here is the info about this project:
MateCat, acronym of Machine Translation Enhanced Computer Assisted Translation, is a 3-year research project (11/2011-10/2014) funded by the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme for research, technological development and demonstration under grant agreement #287688. It represents probably the best available open source platform for investigating, integrating, and evaluating under realistic conditions the impact of new machine translation technology on human post-editing.

European Union supported this project because they want to get rid of their translation costs, in short, they want free translation. They are trying very hard to build a succesful machine translation application to do that for years. First Moses Project and now this project through supporting translated.net.

If you read the original question carefully, you can see that owner of this thread, Tamatoa has a very rightful concern. He does not want to share translations of his company with irrelevant people who do not own them. Meaning to say, he does not want developers/companies who developed those applications to get translations of his company unrightfully. In other words, he wants to keep translations of his company on his own database.

MateCat is not the right solution here as you have to share all your translations with translated.net and with European Union when you use their MateCat.

And while all our colleagues here complain about bottom feeders in translation market, how relevant it is to support free translation seekers?

Please dear colleagues, be very careful about applications, softwares. Even if you can not find a free or reasonably priced and really private application to do what you need, even if you do not have any other choice, please do not use such applications as there is no such thing as "free" especially in IT sector.

They tell you it is free but they have a benefit (in fact many benefits) from that application and being a translator (not a coder), most of us can not know what is that benefit.

This is same for all other online applications like online version of wordfast, memsource, etc. Your translated segments are in their database, they can do whatever they want with them.

[Edited at 2015-09-09 13:40 GMT]
Collapse

Mike Tung

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
MateCat can't run without connection to (external) Internet? Sep 9, 2015

I think that a poster tamatoa want use intranet in LAN. He ask Web-based CAT Tool solutions.

I think, that if one run MateCat on own server with Ubuntu64, he/she can run Okapi tools for filtering texts from various file formats into XLIFF and after translation create translated files in original formats.

http://www.opentag.com/okapi/wiki/

The latest stable release
... See more
I think that a poster tamatoa want use intranet in LAN. He ask Web-based CAT Tool solutions.

I think, that if one run MateCat on own server with Ubuntu64, he/she can run Okapi tools for filtering texts from various file formats into XLIFF and after translation create translated files in original formats.

The latest stable release of Rainbow, CheckMate, Tikal, Ratel, etc. (M28 - August 28 2015) are for Windows, Linux, Macintosch or Longhorn.

I use only Rainbow and Plugin for OmegaT (v0.26). I have Wordfast Server, too.

Milan
Collapse

Cem Bekis
Cem Bekis
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
He wants a web-based solution, not a Lan solution Sep 9, 2015

Milan Condak wrote:

The latest stable release of Rainbow, CheckMate, Tikal, Ratel, etc. (M28 - August 28 2015) are for Windows, Linux, Macintosch or Longhorn.

I use only Rainbow and Plugin for OmegaT (v0.26). I have Wordfast Server, too.

Milan

Hello Milan

He wants a web-based solution that he can host on his own server in his home. To keep all his operations private. He does not want a Lan solution.

But on the other hand, I don't recommend using a home server if he is not very experienced with it, because of security reasons. It is not easy.

And in my previous post when I talked about online version of wordfast, I meant freetm.com. I did not mean wordfast server as it is just a tm server, it does not have an editor, it is not a translation platform.

Regards

[Edited at 2015-09-09 13:56 GMT]

gorfreed
gorfreed
Germany
German to English
+ ...
It's 2016 - Do we have any new self-hosted solution? Jul 12, 2016

I wanted to bump up this topic again, as I am looking for exactly the same as the original poster one year ago. Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be any other option that MateCat then, but maybe there have been new developments now!

So, anyone knows of a self-hosted CAT tool that can be used with your own databases and translator/PM resources?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Web-based CAT Tool solutions to install on own server

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »