Thread poster: Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:56
English to French
Jun 29, 2020

Hi,

Apple has recently announced it will be traditioning to its own ARM processors over the next couple of years. I am wondering how this will affect CafeTra, if at all, as I will be switching to (most likely) an ARM-based Mac sometime next year. I have the same question regarding the release of macOS 11 Big Sur in the Fall.

Thank you.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Jun 29, 2020

I guess this is a question to the developper, but Intel Mac apps that will not have yet been migrated for ARM processors will be able to run through Rosetta 2 for a transition period.

So either CafeTran will have been migrated by then or it will be able to run via Rosetta 2 until it is ARM-ready.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
WAIT! Jun 29, 2020

Apple, in its wisdom (??) has decided to start using a new type of chip in all its computers that will kill earlier computers.As a long-time Mac user it pains me to say this - but to me Big Sur looks like just another trick from Apple to force millions of people to buy new computers and all their software.

The reality is that the MacOS is a fully mature operating system that cannot be improved, so Apple has recently been resorting to GUI gimmicks and tricks to create the impression
... See more
Apple, in its wisdom (??) has decided to start using a new type of chip in all its computers that will kill earlier computers.As a long-time Mac user it pains me to say this - but to me Big Sur looks like just another trick from Apple to force millions of people to buy new computers and all their software.

The reality is that the MacOS is a fully mature operating system that cannot be improved, so Apple has recently been resorting to GUI gimmicks and tricks to create the impression that it is "innovating" whilst pursuing its basic objective: to maximise profits by getting money out of people's pockets.

Yes, “virtualization will be supported as well” but only for a time. I remember when Rosetta was used before, during the transition from Mac OS9 to the Unix system (named OSX), that there was a very good reason for that transition (and Steve Jobs was still in control of Apple). This time around I can see no good reason for moving to a different kind of chip.

So if you buy a new Mac or new software for Mac now, in a couple of years' time (or sooner) you will be very likely to find that it won't work any more after Rosetta has been discontinued,

I too had been thinking it might be time to replace my existing Mac with a newer model, but now I've changed my plans. I'm not going to give Apple any more of my money unless there's a very good reason - and for now, I don't see any good reason.

I've been a Mac user since 1995 so I think I know what I'm talking about.

[Edited at 2020-06-29 18:36 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Target audience Jun 30, 2020

Apple is targeting at professional users in the graphics industrie. They have already demoed some very impressive tasks with real-time editing of heavy footage.

Voices in the MacRumors forums are quite excited, especially from people who have to edit videos.

What the transition will bring us? I'm quite confident that there will be solutions for us translators.

When fast processors can save you a lot of time (= money), then you won't be reluctant to shell ou
... See more
Apple is targeting at professional users in the graphics industrie. They have already demoed some very impressive tasks with real-time editing of heavy footage.

Voices in the MacRumors forums are quite excited, especially from people who have to edit videos.

What the transition will bring us? I'm quite confident that there will be solutions for us translators.

When fast processors can save you a lot of time (= money), then you won't be reluctant to shell out a huge sum of money to make the transition to a computer with Apple Silicon.

So video editors will order these computers right away. Whether we translators should/will do this, remains to be seen.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
MacRumors Jun 30, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:

Voices in the MacRumors forums are quite excited

Yes, there are many "Mac propaganda" websites that make it their business to talk up everything Apple does. It is much more difficult to find genuine, disinterested critical assessments of Apple and its business strategy.

Hans Lenting
Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I see no need for more speed in computer based translation Jun 30, 2020

I simply cannot type any faster so I have seen no improvement during the last 15 years though I switch to a new model every 3-4 years. I used an Macintosh Quadra in the 90's (employer provided) but would never buy Apple if the money should come out of my bank account. Every piece of equipment is 2-3 times more expensive than for Windows or Linux machines, and nothing is compatible with other brands. As a Windows user I don't have to worry if my software will run in 5 years still, I know it will.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Processor speed Jun 30, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I simply cannot type any faster so I have seen no improvement during the last 15 years

I'm sure, you're right.

But, on the other hand, processor speed is also relevant for other tasks than processing keyboard input. E.g., I can imagine that building the corpus for an MT engine will be much faster with Apple Silicon.

Perhaps it'll even be possible to update such corpora real-time.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Hold your horses... Jun 30, 2020

For what is worth... Windows, GNU/Linux and ChromeOS also run on ARM processors...

Some of the cheapest dev boards and computers use ARM too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apple transition to ARM processors.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »