Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
How to deal with a potential client you know in your personal life? (Husband's friend)
Thread poster: Evelyne Targe
Trevino Translations (X)
Trevino Translations (X)
France
Local time: 11:43
French to English
+ ...
Potential Jun 17, 2018

Hi,

Perhaps you can take back "control" of this situation by suggesting he meet you somewhere (convenient to you) for a quick coffee to take care of the matter. After all, your time is just as valuable as his and, since he knows you already, any discussion about the project could easily be handled by phone or email so a meeting at his office is not really necessary.

As for your quote, IMHO, I hope you stay firm. It doesn't matter that he knows your husband, you are
... See more
Hi,

Perhaps you can take back "control" of this situation by suggesting he meet you somewhere (convenient to you) for a quick coffee to take care of the matter. After all, your time is just as valuable as his and, since he knows you already, any discussion about the project could easily be handled by phone or email so a meeting at his office is not really necessary.

As for your quote, IMHO, I hope you stay firm. It doesn't matter that he knows your husband, you are both professionals. He is seeking your services and you provided a rapid response to his initial enquiry. Now, he needs to make a decision.

Hope it works out for you.

Best,

Trevino Translations
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
timid decision Jun 18, 2018

Evelyne, unlike translators, mostly interpreters work with people and know that rather often people say they really need something while doing nothing, because they are just venting. Take it easy.

Perhaps, it's not about seizing the moment, pressing or feeling indebted; may be the project deadline is flexible, your reluctant wannabe partner is a poor manager, or he just wants to see how
... See more
Evelyne, unlike translators, mostly interpreters work with people and know that rather often people say they really need something while doing nothing, because they are just venting. Take it easy.

Perhaps, it's not about seizing the moment, pressing or feeling indebted; may be the project deadline is flexible, your reluctant wannabe partner is a poor manager, or he just wants to see how the wind is blowing and how you show your worth, why?

In all, you either co-op as partners or not yet... Anyway, one should clearly tell a friend's favor and business terms. That's why I'd rather go by the rulebook and have everything drawn up clearly on paper, no 'friendly' exceptions.
Collapse

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
I'm wondering... Jun 20, 2018

how many more pages this discussion will go for

Gosh!

[Edited at 2018-06-20 18:23 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I am always busy for this type of "clients". Jun 22, 2018

Since they always want free work, as we are friends or friend of a friend, or a family member etc, if I get such requests my answer is always the same - I am busy, sorry - and I advise them to find one of the million translators in my language pair online. Not that difficult, you just have to pay.

The only exception was when I did exchange of services with a couple of friends who are architects. They made certain modifications in my interior design and I helped them with their conte
... See more
Since they always want free work, as we are friends or friend of a friend, or a family member etc, if I get such requests my answer is always the same - I am busy, sorry - and I advise them to find one of the million translators in my language pair online. Not that difficult, you just have to pay.

The only exception was when I did exchange of services with a couple of friends who are architects. They made certain modifications in my interior design and I helped them with their content/copies in exchange. Win-win.
Collapse

Evelyne Targe
Evelyne Targe  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
After the meeting... Jun 22, 2018

Yes, this is not the end yet about this topic!

I finally met him at his office. He didn't question my quote price and he genuinely asked me questions about how we could work together, the software to use, the lexicon of highly technical terms, etc. It was informative.

When I left, I made it clear that I was waiting for his confirmation and the reception of the terms of the quote price being accepted and signed before the end of June or I'll turn him down.

... See more
Yes, this is not the end yet about this topic!

I finally met him at his office. He didn't question my quote price and he genuinely asked me questions about how we could work together, the software to use, the lexicon of highly technical terms, etc. It was informative.

When I left, I made it clear that I was waiting for his confirmation and the reception of the terms of the quote price being accepted and signed before the end of June or I'll turn him down.

But he asked me for something that didn't rang the bell for me at first and now I realise that it's probably illegal (I think...) : he asked me to billed in advance for my services. Exactly 2 months in advance for tax purpose. So it seems like a dead end.

What do yo think about that?
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Advance payment, why not? Jun 22, 2018

Evelyne_T wrote:

But he asked me for something that didn't rang the bell for me at first and now I realise that it's probably illegal (I think...) : he asked me to billed in advance for my services. Exactly 2 months in advance for tax purpose. So it seems like a dead end.

What do yo think about that?

You could agree with him on advance payment, i. e. you bill him right away, he pays you right away, and you do the work later. There is nothing illegal about that, in fact, in certain industries advance payments or down payments are standard practice. Of course, your invoice should not contain wrong information, i. e. it should not declare that the work already was done when it was not.

Evelyne Targe
Evelyne Targe  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
In advance Jun 22, 2018

Thank you Kay-Viktor for your input.

I'm just wandering if it's illegal or not in France. I read a few that and it seems tricky. I need to get more information.

Victoria Fushchich
Victoria Fushchich
Ukraine
Local time: 12:43
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
it is your choice Nov 17, 2018

If I were you, I would go for a meeting with him and see what he has to say. However, I would express my point of view regarding payments as well as other issues concerning the job pretty clearly and substantively. Regarding payments, if you wish to make him a special offer by giving him a discount (because he is your husband's friend) - it's your choice. But you have to be clear that you do the job and professional work has to be paid for correspondingly. If he does not get it, politely let him... See more
If I were you, I would go for a meeting with him and see what he has to say. However, I would express my point of view regarding payments as well as other issues concerning the job pretty clearly and substantively. Regarding payments, if you wish to make him a special offer by giving him a discount (because he is your husband's friend) - it's your choice. But you have to be clear that you do the job and professional work has to be paid for correspondingly. If he does not get it, politely let him know that his terms are not acceptable for you.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with a potential client you know in your personal life? (Husband's friend)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »