[solved] Using one agency as reference for another agency?
Thread poster: Frank Feng
Frank Feng
Frank Feng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:40
Member (2016)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 16, 2017

Thanks to reply from @Thomas (see below), I realized that this topic has already been discussed here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/319303-about_references_requested_by_agencies.html

--------------

Hello!

I have a question about providing references to potential clien
... See more
Thanks to reply from @Thomas (see below), I realized that this topic has already been discussed here:
https://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/319303-about_references_requested_by_agencies.html

--------------

Hello!

I have a question about providing references to potential clients - I'm a freelancer and the majority of my projects came from a few translation agencies. Sometimes when I try to expand my client base and make contact with new agencies, some of them ask me to provide references.

The best references I can think of actually are those PMs from the agencies I'm working with. But is it OK to provide the PM of one agency as a reference for another agency? I think in some way those agencies are actually competing with each other and will they be happy to provide reference to their competitors? And, will those PMs be annoyed by many emails or even phone calls asking about one freelance translator working for them?

I'm really not sure about the common practice in this business (if there is any, at all) and would like to hear from the community.

Thank you so much!

[Edited at 2017-12-16 13:30 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Your work is your reference Dec 16, 2017

I don't provide references, which are often meaningless anyway. One job is not the next so if an agency wants to know how good you are, then they should give you a small job or test translation to see for themselves. Imo, it's none of their business who your clients are.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:40
Danish to English
+ ...
Already debated Dec 16, 2017

This was debated here: https://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/319303-about_references_requested_by_agencies.html just over two months ago.

Frank Feng
Frank Feng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:40
Member (2016)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 16, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

This was debated here: https://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/319303-about_references_requested_by_agencies.html just over two months ago.

I searched in the forum but didn't find this ...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes Dec 16, 2017

Frank Feng wrote:
But is it OK to provide the PM of one agency as a reference for another agency?

Yes. Anyone who is willing to say that you're a great translator, is a potential reference. Of course, you must ask someone if they're willing to be your reference first -- you can't simply list someone as your reference without them knowing about it or approving.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[solved] Using one agency as reference for another agency?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »