Igor Timko
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:37
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 8, 2017

Dear all,

I am a UK-based translator. I have just completed a job for a German-based customer.
When she learned that I do not pay VAT, she asked me to add a statement on my invoice saying that, and she mentioned that there was a standard formula used by UK-based translators.

What would you normally write in this case?

I am a sole proprietor. I do not pay VAT, because I do not reach the threshold.

Thank you for your help.

K
... See more
Dear all,

I am a UK-based translator. I have just completed a job for a German-based customer.
When she learned that I do not pay VAT, she asked me to add a statement on my invoice saying that, and she mentioned that there was a standard formula used by UK-based translators.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Igor Timko
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
A German agency I work for asked me to always include the following on my invoices: Dec 8, 2017

Igor Timko PhD MCIL wrote:

Dear all,

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Igor Timko

Reverse Charge; see ‘VAT Notice 741A: place of supply of services’.
Unique Taxpayer Reference Number (UTR): XXXXXXXX’.

Michael

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
VAT not applicable Dec 8, 2017

"VAT not applicable"

That's what I put on my invoices. It has never been queried.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
"VAT reverse charge" and "VAT not applicable" Dec 8, 2017

Within the EU the VAT reverse charge applies. The following is the wording I use for VAT registered clients within the EU: "VAT exempt invoice in accordance with Articles 44 and 196 of Council Directive 2006/112/EC. This service is subject to the VAT reverse charge."

For clients within the UK, or non VAT registered customers within the EU (who are effectively treated as consumers) I use the wording "VAT not applicable", since I am not registered for VAT in the UK.

[Edited
... See more
Within the EU the VAT reverse charge applies. The following is the wording I use for VAT registered clients within the EU: "VAT exempt invoice in accordance with Articles 44 and 196 of Council Directive 2006/112/EC. This service is subject to the VAT reverse charge."

For clients within the UK, or non VAT registered customers within the EU (who are effectively treated as consumers) I use the wording "VAT not applicable", since I am not registered for VAT in the UK.

[Edited at 2017-12-08 17:54 GMT]
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:37
French to English
UK - Germany Dec 9, 2017

There was a post on the very same subject, about a month ago maybe, specifically about a UK-based translator whose client in Germany wanted a particular form of words.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK VAT exemption clause

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »