Thread poster: Ivet Sanchez
Ivet Sanchez
Ivet Sanchez
Colombia
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 21, 2016

Hello everyone,

I've been hired to translate some Excel files, it's my firts time with this kind of document so I'd appreciate if you recommend me a tool or software to make my work easier. The files, of course, have a lot of tabs and figures, I dont need to change that, I just want something that helps me to translate the words.

Thanks!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oops! Jun 22, 2016

deleted

[Edited at 2016-06-22 13:15 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Excel. Jun 22, 2016

My suggestion: Excel (anyone who has MS Office has Excel).

Just make a copy of the file and translate the words. To speed things up, Excel has a useful find/replace function if you have a lot of words or phrases that repeat. But be careful with it because unless you're selective it will also find/replace words that are parts of formulae in cells, which will really mess up your Excel file !

[Edited at 2016-06-22 13:19 GMT]

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can use a CAT Jun 22, 2016

Studio or the old TagEditor

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 13:04
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Copy to Word Jun 22, 2016

Personally, I always copy everything out to Word and then use my favourite CAT tool (i.e. Wordfast!) to translate; it is SO handy to have all the PROPER word-processing functions of Word.

Just be wary, though, of manual line breaks; at the end of your translation, it is easy to search-&-replace them with some unique code which you will then be able to use to globally reaplce them back again in Excel (otherwise, manual line breaks, when copied back into Excel, will create spurious ex
... See more
Personally, I always copy everything out to Word and then use my favourite CAT tool (i.e. Wordfast!) to translate; it is SO handy to have all the PROPER word-processing functions of Word.

Just be wary, though, of manual line breaks; at the end of your translation, it is easy to search-&-replace them with some unique code which you will then be able to use to globally reaplce them back again in Excel (otherwise, manual line breaks, when copied back into Excel, will create spurious extra rows).

Wordfast is capable of translating directly in Excel, but I frankly don't find this 'fudge' solution really terribly ergonomic, for multiple reasons.

It's not really very much extra work to copy across and then back again.

Of course, even if you don't need / want to use a CAT tool, it's still a pretty useful workflow.
Collapse

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
CAT Jun 23, 2016

I find it really awkward trying to work with text in Excel, so I almost always import Excel files into a CAT. Even if the client wants a bilingual file in the end (a request I often get), you can easily copy the target language from the file output by the CAT and paste it next to/below the source language.

Major Zhao
Major Zhao
China
Local time: 20:04
English to Chinese
Cat Jul 8, 2016

IT is very easy, any kinds of CAT can assist you to complete your work, SDL, memoQ and others, they all have function of coping figures without need to translate into target language, and finally CAT tools have QA function, with which you can check for numerical inconsistency.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Excel files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »