measuring translators' performance
Thread poster: RaisaMohamed
RaisaMohamed
RaisaMohamed
United Arab Emirates
Jul 11, 2017

Dear translators - I’m working on an assessment project but I wanted to hear what people (mostly translators) thought about it. How do you measure a translator’s performance?
I work in an organization and we translate diverse texts, three translators, an automated request system to log all requests and no coherent way to measure their performance. I want to find a just and reasonable method to measure the translators performance.

– so to you, what are the best ways or h
... See more
Dear translators - I’m working on an assessment project but I wanted to hear what people (mostly translators) thought about it. How do you measure a translator’s performance?
I work in an organization and we translate diverse texts, three translators, an automated request system to log all requests and no coherent way to measure their performance. I want to find a just and reasonable method to measure the translators performance.

– so to you, what are the best ways or how do you measure your performance or other translators’’ performance for that matter.

Thank you.
Raisa M.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An analogy from the industry Jul 11, 2017

While one of the factors, and not a small one, is the amount of words translated per day, there is one consideration I would propose from metal fabrication: the lower the time spent on reworks/repetitions/cleaning/grinding, the higher the performance. In my opinion, if a translator produces 3000 words a day but forces other team members to correct terminology/consistency, mechanicals errors, and poor text quality, this person would have a lower performance than a translator who produces 2500 wor... See more
While one of the factors, and not a small one, is the amount of words translated per day, there is one consideration I would propose from metal fabrication: the lower the time spent on reworks/repetitions/cleaning/grinding, the higher the performance. In my opinion, if a translator produces 3000 words a day but forces other team members to correct terminology/consistency, mechanicals errors, and poor text quality, this person would have a lower performance than a translator who produces 2500 words which require next to no rework.

Maybe a measure of the actual productivity would be based upon equivalent money produced by the translator (value of the order / total number of words * words produced within a certain period) minus the cost of revision and of other people who have to intervene to straighten any issues. However, if money equivalent is used, you would need to consider the productivity of salespeople or project managers, who have to be proficient in selling the work at the maximum possible rate.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:57
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Performance Jul 11, 2017

I worked for 20 years within an EU institution. Our team had 15 translators and 5 revisers. Our performance was first assessed by the number of pages we translated each day (we were supposed to translate at least 5 pages) and then that number was weighted to reflect the opinion of each reviser (the indicator was the number of errors or mistranslations found per page). All this was well before CATs achieved world dominion…

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:57
Russian to English
+ ...
Performance? For inhouse translators, I gather? Jul 12, 2017

You cannot really assess the performance of freelance translators--you can only say something about the quality of their work and punctuality.

[Edited at 2017-07-12 09:56 GMT]

RaisaMohamed
RaisaMohamed
United Arab Emirates
TOPIC STARTER
we are fully paid translators not freelanced Jul 13, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

While one of the factors, and not a small one, is the amount of words translated per day, there is one consideration I would propose from metal fabrication: the lower the time spent on reworks/repetitions/cleaning/grinding, the higher the performance. In my opinion, if a translator produces 3000 words a day but forces other team members to correct terminology/consistency, mechanicals errors, and poor text quality, this person would have a lower performance than a translator who produces 2500 words which require next to no rework.

true - however, this will require someone to review and asset the quality of each translation assignment and keep a record of it.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Maybe a measure of the actual productivity would be based upon equivalent money produced by the translator (value of the order / total number of words * words produced within a certain period) minus the cost of revision and of other people who have to intervene to straighten any issues. However, if money equivalent is used, you would need to consider the productivity of salespeople or project managers, who have to be proficient in selling the work at the maximum possible rate.

translators here are on an employment contract, so they are paid on a monthly basis and that cannot be applicable here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

measuring translators' performance

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »