Xtrf 2.2 experience
Thread poster: TNT (X)
TNT (X)
TNT (X)
Austria
Local time: 02:14
Dec 2, 2010

Does anybody have any experience with Xtrf 2.2 business management system in practice?
And what are your experience with the system?

XTRF
XTRF
RE: XTRF 2.2 Dec 8, 2010

Hello,

Please don't be disappointed but XTRF 2.2 for translation agencies... does not exist.

The latest version available on the market is XTRF 2.1

The good news is that 2.2 will be released for sure on the market in the nearest future. Visit the official XTRF website - special webinars on 2.2 will be lauched soon.

Sajja Taemsamrn (TJ)
Sajja Taemsamrn (TJ)
Thailand
Local time: 08:14
English to Thai
+ ...
From translators' viewpoint. Apr 11, 2012

From translators' viewpoint;

XTRF navigation system is making translators frustrated. Most translators (9 out of 10 translators) clicked "Finished Activities" button before uploading translation into the system. The result is that they cannot upload translated files into the system, and have to contact system's administrator to do tedious and reverse process in order to be able to upload the files into the system again. It is waste of time to do so for administrator's viewpoint. Thi
... See more

XTRF navigation system is making translators frustrated. Most translators (9 out of 10 translators) clicked "Finished Activities" button before uploading translation into the system. The result is that they cannot upload translated files into the system, and have to contact system's administrator to do tedious and reverse process in order to be able to upload the files into the system again. It is waste of time to do so for administrator's viewpoint. This point should be fixed very urgently. Most translators say the system is not user friendly. It makes confusion to a first time user of the system.

Here are the FAQs (Frequent Ask Questions) from translators;
1. How can I download source files from your system?
2. Where can I upload translated files into the system?
3. Where to submit an invoice?
4. I already clicked "Finish Activities" button, the system does not allow me to upload the translation into your system anymore. What should I do? "Finish Activities" button is used in the meaning of translation files are ready.

------------------------------------------------

From administrator's point of views;

1.The software price is very steep, indeed. So does the learning curve. We've been spending two months to familiarize with the software but more to go.

2. No easy backup process. If you are not an IT geek, it is very difficult to do backup your own if you buy a software not SaaS.

3. Templates cannot be customized easily unless you know how to use a particular software to do without any additional cost. Otherwise, it costs you around 20-100 Euro per template. Not sure about the exact cost.

4. Support teams are unbelievably great, indeed. They can be contacted for help somewhat easily.

4. The training courses are not so useful since they are quite similar to clip videos training in help menu.

5. No trial period for 30-90 days similar to other tools like OTM. If you are going to make a big investment, you should make a trial before making a decision to buy a software. SaaS would be a good option to try before buy.

5. Instruction tab to translators, line break is a major issue when you have to insert some additional instructions to translators such as "Please deliver clean, unclean files".

For many sentences' instructions, your translators will get headache to read many sentences without line breaks.

6. A lot of customization to be done in order to fit your organization.

7. Right click is not enabled in XTRF so it is rather inconvenient for administrators.

8. Sometime, when a user sign out of the system, another user still cannot log in due to system delay.

9. There is an advertising of XTRF on the first page, whenever a user logging in into the system. It would be better if it can be removed.

10. System delay is occurred from time to time but it would be about internet connection problem.

More will come.

[Edited at 2012-04-11 15:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-11 16:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-11 16:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-11 16:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-11 17:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-11 17:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-12 07:59 GMT]
Collapse

Sajja Taemsamrn (TJ)
Sajja Taemsamrn (TJ)
Thailand
Local time: 08:14
English to Thai
+ ...
One of many reply from my translator who use XTRF May 31, 2012

One of our network translator wrote;

I'm still struggling to use your new system (XTRF), as my browser always alerts me not to display your system (I don't know why this continues to happen).

In addition, I find difficluties in uploading the translation files and invoices.

---------------------
Our server is a brand new (IBM) server with Microsoft Server 2008, and XTRF installed.

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:14
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Problem with ssl certificate? May 31, 2012

tjsajja wrote:
I'm still struggling to use your new system (XTRF), as my browser always alerts me not to display your system (I don't know why this continues to happen).

If XTRF is installed (in any system) with a self-signed certificate (for https connection) then such a warning would be appearing always until you add the url to exclusions in your browser. It needs a valid ssl certificate from a trusted source (commercially available and to be installed additionally).

[Edited at 2012-05-31 07:15 GMT]

AbroadLink
AbroadLink
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What the software to customize template in XTRF? Jan 19, 2013

Dear tjsajja,

3. Templates cannot be customized easily unless you know how to use a particular software to do without any additional cost. Otherwise, it costs you around 20-100 Euro per template. Not sure about the exact cost.

Do you know what particular software? We would like to have more flexibility regarding this point, but from XTRF help it seems that the only possibility is that the support team creates the customized template at a cost.

Regard
... See more
Dear tjsajja,

Do you know what particular software? We would like to have more flexibility regarding this point, but from XTRF help it seems that the only possibility is that the support team creates the customized template at a cost.

Regards,

José Gambín
Collapse

Exactexte (X)
Exactexte (X)
Canada
Local time: 21:14
French to English
+ ...
Any further developments? Apr 6, 2015

tjsajja wrote:

XTRF navigation system is making translators frustrated. Most translators (9 out of 10 translators) clicked "Finished Activities" button before uploading translation into the system. The result is that they cannot upload translated files into the system, and have to contact system's administrator to do tedious and reverse process in order to be able to upload the files into the system again. It is waste of time to do so for administrator's viewpoint. This point should be fixed very urgently. Most translators say the system is not user friendly. It makes confusion to a first time user of the system.

Here are the FAQs (Frequent Ask Questions) from translators;
1. How can I download source files from your system?
2. Where can I upload translated files into the system?
3. Where to submit an invoice?
4. I already clicked "Finish Activities" button, the system does not allow me to upload the translation into your system anymore. What should I do? "Finish Activities" button is used in the meaning of translation files are ready.

------------------------------------------------

From administrator's point of views;

1.The software price is very steep, indeed. So does the learning curve. We've been spending two months to familiarize with the software but more to go.

2. No easy backup process. If you are not an IT geek, it is very difficult to do backup your own if you buy a software not SaaS.

4. Support teams are unbelievably great, indeed. They can be contacted for help somewhat easily.

4. The training courses are not so useful since they are quite similar to clip videos training in help menu.

5. No trial period for 30-90 days similar to other tools like OTM. If you are going to make a big investment, you should make a trial before making a decision to buy a software. SaaS would be a good option to try before buy.

5. Instruction tab to translators, line break is a major issue when you have to insert some additional instructions to translators such as "Please deliver clean, unclean files".

For many sentences' instructions, your translators will get headache to read many sentences without line breaks.

6. A lot of customization to be done in order to fit your organization.

7. Right click is not enabled in XTRF so it is rather inconvenient for administrators.

8. Sometime, when a user sign out of the system, another user still cannot log in due to system delay.

9. There is an advertising of XTRF on the first page, whenever a user logging in into the system. It would be better if it can be removed.

10. System delay is occurred from time to time but it would be about internet connection problem.

More will come.

Have there been any further developments on this system? We're looking for a management system and would be interested if there are any answers to these questions.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:14
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
BIRT Apr 17, 2015

AbroadLink wrote:

Dear tjsajja,

Regards,

José Gambín

I believe it's the BIRT report designer at http://eclipse.org/birt/about/designer.php

[Edited at 2015-04-17 19:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Xtrf 2.2 experience

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »