The Dictionary of American Regional English tracks down unwritten terms which are dying out

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The Dictionary of American Regional English tracks down unwritten terms which are dying out".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fascinating Mar 8, 2017

True nobody is going to miss “suppeditated, meaning “surpass” or “overcome”, which still exists in Spanish as "supeditar". But I'd never heard of "mee-maw" until I saw the Big Bang Theory and although it's still alive and kicking, I still find it toe-curlingly quaint. To see ourselves as others see as...

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kind of interesting Mar 8, 2017

I personally find this venture of rather mild interest.

If you want to see real tour de force from the archives of The Economist, check out the following:

http://www.economist.com/node/3262983

The lesson so powerfully embodied in the leader left a lasting impression. It must have taken many long hours to draft....

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Robert Mar 8, 2017

What a beautiful piece of writing! But paradoxically, it's also not always easy to read.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Phil Mar 8, 2017

philgoddard wrote:

What a beautiful piece of writing! But paradoxically, it's also not always easy to read.

The piece comes off as a bit unnatural, given that one doesn't typically see sentence after sentence consisting of one-syllable words, but what a magnificent example of practicing what one preaches! I can only imagine that it took the author a long time to draft, since he surely doesn't "think" in such a highly distilled monosyllabic fashion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Dictionary of American Regional English tracks down unwritten terms which are dying out

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »