Translation Office 3000 - how to get started
Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:26
French to English
Oct 9, 2009

I was persuaded into buying TO 3000 by positive comments on this website and a group buy. I need if for creating, numbering and organising all my invoices though now I have purchased it seems overcomplex and yet missing simple things. Also it comes without a manual so that after one day I haven’t even been able to produce a single invoice. Does anyone know how to find a complete and simple guide to the basic use of this software. The companies support team kindly answers my questions one by o... See more
I was persuaded into buying TO 3000 by positive comments on this website and a group buy. I need if for creating, numbering and organising all my invoices though now I have purchased it seems overcomplex and yet missing simple things. Also it comes without a manual so that after one day I haven’t even been able to produce a single invoice. Does anyone know how to find a complete and simple guide to the basic use of this software. The companies support team kindly answers my questions one by one but at that rate I won't be using this software before next year.Collapse

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 23:26
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Try this... Oct 9, 2009

There is a quick start guide for another AIT product, Projetex, which is extended version of TO3000. The difference between Projetex and TO3000 is that in TO3000 you cannot assign the jobs to the other translators, while workflow and invoicing procecces are just the same.

So you may have a look at Projetex Quick start guide and omit s
... See more
There is a quick start guide for another AIT product, Projetex, which is extended version of TO3000. The difference between Projetex and TO3000 is that in TO3000 you cannot assign the jobs to the other translators, while workflow and invoicing procecces are just the same.

So you may have a look at Projetex Quick start guide and omit some chapters of it: http://www.projetex.com/images/stories/files/documents_pdf/ProjetexQuickStartGuide.pdf
Collapse

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 9, 2009

Thanks Vladimir for this link. Looks like this should be very useful

[Edited at 2009-10-09 12:38 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Translation Office 3000 - how to get started Oct 10, 2009

Read all the help first. After, do a trial and error job creating a ficticious client, job and invoice. If by doing it ask for data you do not have, go back to settings and create them. For example, if you want to create a job, it will ask you for wich client and so far. Then continue with the process were you left it.

TO3000 is very easy (not overcomplex at all) and it can be learned in a day, not to say in a morning. You can use the database that can be instralled when you insta
... See more
Read all the help first. After, do a trial and error job creating a ficticious client, job and invoice. If by doing it ask for data you do not have, go back to settings and create them. For example, if you want to create a job, it will ask you for wich client and so far. Then continue with the process were you left it.

TO3000 is very easy (not overcomplex at all) and it can be learned in a day, not to say in a morning. You can use the database that can be instralled when you install the program for the first time too for this. Good luck!

[Editado a las 2009-10-10 00:43 GMT]
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:26
French to English
+ ...
Not impressed Oct 12, 2009

Hello,

I too have been disappointed after buying TO3000. I bought it nearly a year ago now and still don't feel I know much more than the basics. Like you, I had to ask lots of questions to the support team (all of which were answered very promptly and helpfully, I should add), so surely there must be a need for a better start-up guide out there. I've ended up using it as a glorified statistics-keeping tool, as my own existing Excel-based invoicing system proved better suited to my
... See more
Hello,

I too have been disappointed after buying TO3000. I bought it nearly a year ago now and still don't feel I know much more than the basics. Like you, I had to ask lots of questions to the support team (all of which were answered very promptly and helpfully, I should add), so surely there must be a need for a better start-up guide out there. I've ended up using it as a glorified statistics-keeping tool, as my own existing Excel-based invoicing system proved better suited to my system. TO3000 also rounds numbers down, not up (which can't be changed apparently), so it was coming up with different figures to my manual and Excel figures. I've also found that if you want to do anything slightly different, like create a report showing how many words you've done for each client, for example, it's very complicated to do so. In fact, I had to go back to the support team for help yet again. I'd prefer to be able to do it myself, as with Microsoft money which is child's play to customize. After sending me the above report template (thanks again!), the support team regretfully informed me that such support would no longer be free in future - which I quite understand, but I'm at a loss to know how to learn how to do it myself when it's certainly not straightforward!

I'm sorry to be so negative, but I really do feel it's been a wasted purchase for me - my own system, honed over 20+ years, I suppose, works just fine....

Claire
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:26
Spanish
+ ...
@at Claire: Have you read the manual? Oct 12, 2009

I'm surprised that you say that--I've always considered TO3K to be extremely easy to use, at lease its basic features. Anyway, right now I'm working on a TO3K video tutorial for new users, maybe it'll help you too. I'll post it when it's ready.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"a wasted purchase"? - hm, depends on the waster ... Oct 12, 2009

Claire Cox wrote:
...I'm sorry to be so negative, but I really do feel it's been a wasted purchase for me - my own system, honed over 20+ years, I suppose, works just fine....

TGB price is 95Eur at the moment. It's about 10 McMeals - I mean it is not exactly a pizza money, but then again it's far from breaking anybody's financial back.

Of course if one adds hours of trying to get things going, its cost - or cost of any software, actually of anything - can get prohibitive. In case of TO3000 the main problem may be, that a new user starts from scratch. This bootstrapping process (of entering clients, running jobs, price profiles, document prototypes etc etc) takes time - and knowledge. But - at least as regards the knowledge - the demo database is a great help for learning and trying things out.

I would have it hard without TO3000. I have been using for a year or two and I just can't figure out, how I had managed all my accounting before.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2009-10-12 13:50 GMT]

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
When I said waste of money.... Oct 12, 2009

VitoSmolej wrote:

TGB price is 95Eur at the moment. It's about 10 McMeals - I mean it is not exactly a pizza money, but then again it's far from breaking anybody's financial back.

Vito

[Edited at 2009-10-12 13:50 GMT]

Of course it depends on the user - when I said it was a wasted purchase for me, I meant that it hasn't added anything to my invoicing system other than an extra step. Perhaps if you're a new translator starting out, it's helpful to have a system (once you work out how to use it...), but as I said, I've been translating freelance for 20+ years and already had a system that worked fine. I hoped it would improve my record-keeping but the difference in rounding methods and the problems I've had producing customised reports have meant that it's not really done what I wanted. My good old paper register and Excel records work just as well if not better. I already keep a database of all my translations on an ancient Works database and have been able to produce customised reports on that without any problem, likewise on Microsoft Money where I keep my detailed household accounts, so I don't think I'm particularly computer-illiterate, but for me, personally, it just isn't very user-friendly. In terms of what I paid for it - £122 at the time, including a discount from the ProZ London conference - I suppose it wasn't expensive as such, but it's money I wouldn't have spent if I'd realised how little suited it was to my way of working. Then again, I'd regard 10 McMeals as a horrible waste of money too

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Claudia Oct 12, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I'm surprised that you say that--I've always considered TO3K to be extremely easy to use, at lease its basic features. Anyway, right now I'm working on a TO3K video tutorial for new users, maybe it'll help you too. I'll post it when it's ready.

Thanks Claudia,

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental? I should certainly be very interested to see your tutorial, so many thanks for the offer. I have mastered the basics - I think! I've also consulted the online help (if that's what you mean by the manual?), but it just hasn't answered my queries. I have considered doing a course, but the only ones I've seen have been too far away to make it worthwhile.

All the best,

Claire

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 02:56
Report writing is not easy Oct 12, 2009

Claire Cox wrote:

I already keep a database of all my translations on an ancient Works database and have been able to produce customised reports on that without any problem, likewise on Microsoft Money where I keep my detailed household accounts, so I don't think I'm particularly computer-illiterate, but for me, personally, it just isn't very user-friendly.

To write a report using TO 3000 does perhaps need a degree in computer science!

Having said that, its report writer is very powerful, since it generates reports off a SQL database.

Generating reports is by far easier in Excel.

[Edited at 2009-10-12 18:46 GMT]

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
That makes me feel much better! Oct 12, 2009

Anil Gidwani wrote:

To write a report using TO 3000 does perhaps need a degree in computer science!

Thanks Anil - now I don't feel quite so stupid!

Claire

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I am with Claire here Oct 14, 2009

I downloaded the trial version some time ago, but found it far too complicated for me. I am not a computer illiterate, I have worked with computers since 1984 and am able to work with nearly any program. But I had to surrender this time. I prefer to go on with my Excel sheets. I didn't want to spend much more time with TO 3000 than with my usual bookkeeping.

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Count settings of integrated Anycount Oct 17, 2009

Hello,

I am just testing once again TO 3000. I was wondering if there is any way to change the settings of the integrated Anycount application. Sure you can edit the number of characters in a line, with or without spaces.

But I want to change to count or not e.g. slide notes in PPT, footnotes and text boxes in Word, etc.

How to exclude handout master, notes master and slide master from counting? It just works in the anycount stand-alone version.

... See more
Hello,

I am just testing once again TO 3000. I was wondering if there is any way to change the settings of the integrated Anycount application. Sure you can edit the number of characters in a line, with or without spaces.

But I want to change to count or not e.g. slide notes in PPT, footnotes and text boxes in Word, etc.

How to exclude handout master, notes master and slide master from counting? It just works in the anycount stand-alone version.

The other thing is that I want a round up to whole line numbers (14,23 > 15). How can I make TO3000 to do that?

TIA for your advise

Noe

PS:

I found out how to change the count settings for several file types. It's under Settings > Personal > Anycount > PPT. There you can include or exclude handout master, etc.

You can round up the lines result manually once you have the result of anycount. The result in € is being updated. At least it's possible like this.

[Edited at 2009-10-17 12:55 GMT]
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
So where is the manual? TO 3000 Dec 3, 2009

The structure of the help material hardly makes it suitable as a manual. So is there one soemwhere else?

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Calling all TO3000 experts Feb 5, 2010

As many of you have pointed out ProZ.com has performed group buys with TO3000 - we are conducting another one now that includes a year of ProZ.com membership http://www.proz.com/tgb/298

As many have indicated that help manuals and materials are perhaps insufficient I would like to ask any TO3000 experts contact me directly to discuss creating some tutorials, videos, and training materials. Compe
... See more
As many of you have pointed out ProZ.com has performed group buys with TO3000 - we are conducting another one now that includes a year of ProZ.com membership http://www.proz.com/tgb/298

As many have indicated that help manuals and materials are perhaps insufficient I would like to ask any TO3000 experts contact me directly to discuss creating some tutorials, videos, and training materials. Compensation for time and effort will be provided.

Thanks

Drew MacFadyen
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Office 3000 - how to get started

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »