Thread poster: Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:04
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 23, 2017

I had seen in a post from Nora Diaz that you can quickly insert words, tags, numbers, terms from termbase and special characters just with ctrl + alt + right arrow. I treid it and it worked.

Then, I don't understand what happened but later it didn't work anymore. Maybe it is due to the file type I'm working at? I didn't find any customization in the Options and I don't even get the Quickinsert tab in the ribbon above.

Do you have any tip about this?

Thanks

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quickplace not Quickinsert Aug 23, 2017

I'm sorry, the right name for this feature is Quickplace

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only tags Aug 24, 2017

Hi Lucia,

Ctrl+Alt+Right arrow is an undocumented shortcut to insert tags but not other placeables. For other placeables (as defined in your TM settings, which can include Dates, Times, Numbers, Acronyms, Variables, Measurements and Alphanumeric strings), I use Ctrl+Alt+Down, but I think the default Studio shortcut is Ctrl+Comma. Terms from the termbases can be inserted either by typing the first few letters (AutoSuggest) or you can display a list of all the available terms in the s
... See more
Hi Lucia,

Ctrl+Alt+Right arrow is an undocumented shortcut to insert tags but not other placeables. For other placeables (as defined in your TM settings, which can include Dates, Times, Numbers, Acronyms, Variables, Measurements and Alphanumeric strings), I use Ctrl+Alt+Down, but I think the default Studio shortcut is Ctrl+Comma. Terms from the termbases can be inserted either by typing the first few letters (AutoSuggest) or you can display a list of all the available terms in the segment with Ctrl+Shift+L.

Shortcuts can be accessed and customized by going to Options - Keyboard Shortcuts.

Hope that helps!

PS If you like AutoHotkey, we now have a pretty cool script to insert tags with a single keystroke, which you can select yourself. You can find it in the SDL Community AutoHotkey forum, here: https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/400/t/12964
Collapse

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 24, 2017

Thanks Nora for explaining all this.

Lucia

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Managing Capitalized terms Aug 24, 2017

If you get a capitalized term or an acronym (all uppercase), is there a way to get it copied with a key in the target segment?

Thanks

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Yest, there is Aug 24, 2017

Lucia Messuti wrote:

If you get a capitalized term or an acronym (all uppercase), is there a way to get it copied with a key in the target segment?

Thanks

Download Regex Match Autosuggest app from the SDL appstore and then in its setup window set all the REgex expressions you need. I think some examples of regex expressions are on Nora's website
http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2015/07/a-collection-of-regular-expressions-for.html
and on Paul Filkin's blog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JArEfadopkQ

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Aug 24, 2017

If you have Acronyms enabled in your TM settings, then you will be able to insert them with your regular QuickPlace shortcut. They will be displayed in a list for you to choose from. I personally prefer the Regex Match AutoSuggest provider, as suggested by Wojciech, which allows you to start typing and get the suggestion.

Ulrich Schramm
Ulrich Schramm
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
SDL localisation problem Dec 29, 2022

"Quickplace" - sounds good, but my SDL is in German and all keyboard functions are translated to German. So "Quickplace" does not exist there. One should be able to switch that to the original language (English) in SDL. This is all not 100% thought through.

Ulrich Schramm
Ulrich Schramm
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
The keyboard shortcuts has no search field Dec 29, 2022

I have briefly estimated that about 430 keyboard shortcuts are displayed. A search field would not be bad to find the right keyboard shortcut faster.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:04
English to Russian
Already there Dec 29, 2022

Ulrich Schramm wrote:

I have briefly estimated that about 430 keyboard shortcuts are displayed. A search field would not be bad to find the right keyboard shortcut faster.
There is one. Go to Welcome > Home > Show Shortcuts > press Ctrl+F

You don't visit or change the Keyboard Shortcuts options every day, do you? Therefore you can 'print' it as PDF to have it always at hand and check it when you need that.

[Edited at 2022-12-29 21:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2017 Quickinsert feature

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »