What happens to licenses when cloning system hard disks?
Thread poster: 2GT
2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 9, 2017

I would like to clone my system hard disk in order to upgrade to an SSD.

What happens to my Trados licenses when completing the procedure above?

I currently have 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2017 Studio (Freelance Plus) licenses which I would like to be still there after upgrading to the new SSD system.

I can't obviously return and re-fetch the older licenses since Studio 2017 doesn't allow this.

By the way, I have to do the same cloning procedure on a
... See more
I would like to clone my system hard disk in order to upgrade to an SSD.

What happens to my Trados licenses when completing the procedure above?

I currently have 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2017 Studio (Freelance Plus) licenses which I would like to be still there after upgrading to the new SSD system.

I can't obviously return and re-fetch the older licenses since Studio 2017 doesn't allow this.

By the way, I have to do the same cloning procedure on a Win XP netbook where there's my second Studio 2011 Freelance Plus activation (I can't install 2017 in it since Windows XP is not supported by Studio 2017). Will I keep my Studio 2011 activation on the netbook after cloning?

Just for my knowledge base: what could happen to my Studio licenses if I upgrade my OS (eg. from WinXP to Win7-10)?

Thanks a lot for any reply
Cheers
Gianni
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Older licenses Jul 9, 2017

Hi Gianni. When I switched from Win 7 to Win 10 I lost all the older licenses(*) I had for Studio...
You can also find discussions about it on the forum, with SDL representatives confirming that.

As to cloning and switching HDDs, I fear that will also (permanently) invalidate your older licenses. That happened for versions using Nalpeiron (2014 and older). As for 2015 and newer
... See more
Hi Gianni. When I switched from Win 7 to Win 10 I lost all the older licenses(*) I had for Studio...
You can also find discussions about it on the forum, with SDL representatives confirming that.

As to cloning and switching HDDs, I fear that will also (permanently) invalidate your older licenses. That happened for versions using Nalpeiron (2014 and older). As for 2015 and newer: http://gateway.sdl.com/communityknowledge?articleName=000001359

P.S. (*) I believe Tageditor/SDLX (2007) have a separate license which would still be valid (for whatever reason) in case of OS upgrade and/or hardware changes

[Edited at 2017-07-09 14:07 GMT]
Collapse

Mendham
Mendham  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:26
English to French
Switching to ssd Jul 9, 2017

Hi Gianni,
I think technically you should be OK as long as you are doing it in the same computer with the same motherboard. It would be a problem if you were trying to get the licence into another computer. I think the reason being is that each licence it tied with the MAC number of each computer to prevent multiple installation.having said that I suggest to play safe and talk to the customer service they might have different opinion.hope it helps.

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Risky tasks Jul 10, 2017

Thanks a lot Mirko and Mendham.

According to your infos, switching OSs is forbidden if you want to keep all your Trados versions and licenses (except for Trados 2007).
Switching HDDs (after cloning) could be risky for Studio versions older than 2015, even though using the same computer could be OK, since Studio license refers to the computer's MAC number (which should not change after switching HDDs).

To sum it up, I'll clone my HDD, but I will not use it for now.
... See more
Thanks a lot Mirko and Mendham.

According to your infos, switching OSs is forbidden if you want to keep all your Trados versions and licenses (except for Trados 2007).
Switching HDDs (after cloning) could be risky for Studio versions older than 2015, even though using the same computer could be OK, since Studio license refers to the computer's MAC number (which should not change after switching HDDs).

To sum it up, I'll clone my HDD, but I will not use it for now.

Cheers
Gianni
Collapse

Jutta Deichselberger
Jutta Deichselberger  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Did you do it? Did it work?? Nov 10, 2017

Hi Gianni,

I habe the same problem as I would like to clone my SDD in order to switch to a bigger one. Did it work out well for you or did you loose your licenses?? Thank you very much for an answer!! Best regards, Jutta

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:26
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Seems to work Nov 10, 2017

On at least two occasions over the years I have cloned a 500gb HDD to a 1TB HDD with no problems, using Macrium Reflect. The process appeared to be invisible to the licenses. I wasn't changing OS, of course.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Loose them! Nov 11, 2017

Jutta Deichselberger wrote:

Hi Gianni,

I habe the same problem as I would like to clone my SDD in order to switch to a bigger one. Did it work out well for you or did you loose your licenses?? Thank you very much for an answer!! Best regards, Jutta

Loose the licenses! Open the gate! Let the licenses run free!

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cloned, but not replaced Nov 11, 2017

Jutta Deichselberger:Hi Gianni,

Hi Jutta,
I cloned my HDD into an SDD, but I didn't replace it, since it's not 100% sure it's going to work.
I'll keep the clone as a backup drive for now.
Cheers
Gianni

Jutta Deichselberger
Jutta Deichselberger  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
It worked!! Apr 17, 2018

I cloned it and I didn't loose them:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happens to licenses when cloning system hard disks?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »