Thread poster: Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 21:12
English to Italian
+ ...
May 10, 2017

I have to say that while Studio 2017 has introduced a much improved way to leverage existing content such a benefit is basically invalidated by its slowness in displaying "Translation results" and in transitioning from a confirmed segment to another.

While this doesn't happen all the times, at times i have had to wait up to two minutes for the window to show existing matches. Confirming a segment at times can take up to 40 seconds, especially at the beginning of an editing session
... See more
I have to say that while Studio 2017 has introduced a much improved way to leverage existing content such a benefit is basically invalidated by its slowness in displaying "Translation results" and in transitioning from a confirmed segment to another.

While this doesn't happen all the times, at times i have had to wait up to two minutes for the window to show existing matches. Confirming a segment at times can take up to 40 seconds, especially at the beginning of an editing session but the issue shows also during QAs while fixing issues during after verification.

It is really time consuming, to the point i go read news while Studio does its job.

I don't really think it's acceptable, especially when working under pressure and lots of other things to handle.

Does anyone else have the same issues or it's just a figment of my imagination on my 3 machines, two of which with SSD, i7 CPUs and 16/32 GB DDR4 ram?

Is there any way to make things faster? I have already tried to tune settings moving from "Accuracy to Speed" wherever i can but in that way i lose depth and speed doesn't improve significantly.

(PS: at times while doing that Studio also crashes. I have already reinstalled multiple times so it's not about corrupted files). Lots of time wasted.

Thanks in advance.

Enrico
Collapse

Toon Theuwis (X)
Toon Theuwis (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:12
English to Dutch
+ ...
What is the weakest link? May 10, 2017

Hi Enrico,

Your hardware setup seems to be really good and much more powerful than mine. There should be no problem there.

Try to figure out what the weakest link is. Trados Studio will only perform as fast as its weakest link. For instance, if your TM is on a server, look at connection speed. If you're connecting to SDL Language Cloud, check your connection of maybe the server has a slow response time.

If your TM's are really really big (GB's that is) and
... See more
Hi Enrico,

Your hardware setup seems to be really good and much more powerful than mine. There should be no problem there.

Try to figure out what the weakest link is. Trados Studio will only perform as fast as its weakest link. For instance, if your TM is on a server, look at connection speed. If you're connecting to SDL Language Cloud, check your connection of maybe the server has a slow response time.

If your TM's are really really big (GB's that is) and you are using multiple TM (which Trados will have to look through separately) this will also slow things down.

And then there are occasions when I find no explanation at all other than just the sdlxliff file causing trouble and slowness. Maybe because there are many segments and the XLIFF grammar is taking a lot of time to process.

Good luck.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 slowness in showing concordance matches

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »