Thread poster: Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 15:31
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 19, 2016

Having tried the Language Cloud MT first and then moving to the Free plan, I've noticed that recently the 600,000 character limit has been decreased to only 400,000.

Now, I would be willing to use a paid plan, but the cheapest one is... 35 dollars. Really? 420 dollars per year for using the language cloud MT? Come on guys, a freelancer can't afford that much, especially living where I live.

It's your business line, I know, but let's be sane, for God's sake. In this way
... See more
Having tried the Language Cloud MT first and then moving to the Free plan, I've noticed that recently the 600,000 character limit has been decreased to only 400,000.

Now, I would be willing to use a paid plan, but the cheapest one is... 35 dollars. Really? 420 dollars per year for using the language cloud MT? Come on guys, a freelancer can't afford that much, especially living where I live.

It's your business line, I know, but let's be sane, for God's sake. In this way Google Translate and MIcrosoft Translate will always be the engines of our choice, even though they may not be adaptive, but a little bird told me that they might become such, in the future.

So, come on, a 5-10 dollar plan I would understand, but 35?
Collapse

Andreas Fischer
Inna Ivanova

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
2017? Oct 19, 2016

Are you talking about Studio 2017?

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Oct 19, 2016

I'm talking about Studio 2015. I don't know if the plans for Studio 2017 will change.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Neither do I Oct 19, 2016

But one thing I noticed in the whole marketing attack of SDL, is that the focus for 2017 is on MT, hence my question.

Personally I don't use MT, because A) in my language combinations it gives terrible results, B) clients don't like it or forbid it, and C) of your reasons.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
There is a D) too... Oct 19, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

But one thing I noticed in the whole marketing attack of SDL, is that the focus for 2017 is on MT, hence my question.

Personally I don't use MT, because A) in my language combinations it gives terrible results, B) clients don't like it or forbid it, and C) of your reasons.

.... but this one is really personal. I learned our trade (I think as last one) in the old fashion way, that is with pen, paper and dictionaries in bookform. Nowadays I (of course) make use of the resources available to me, on-, and offline, but it is still ME who is making the translation, not some damn machine. I don't want to end up as a lot of kids I meet. The other day I asked some youngsters about Shakespeare. They had to look it up on their smartphones. The new intelligence!

(Sorry for being such an old geezer)

[Edited at 2016-10-19 21:35 GMT]

Language Cloud pricing clarification Oct 20, 2016

Hi,

Just wanted to clarify, there is indeed a $10 basic package for Language Cloud MT. Full details of this and all the packages can be found here http://www.sdl.com/languagecloud/machine-translation/pricing.html

When you upgrade to the basic package you not only get more characters, but also the chance to incorporate your own personal dictionari
... See more
Hi,

Just wanted to clarify, there is indeed a $10 basic package for Language Cloud MT. Full details of this and all the packages can be found here http://www.sdl.com/languagecloud/machine-translation/pricing.html

When you upgrade to the basic package you not only get more characters, but also the chance to incorporate your own personal dictionaries - the benefit here is that you can start to get custom results MT results, as Language Cloud will review your personal terminology before providing the result.

You can find a quick intro video to using LCMT & dictionaries half way down this page http://www.sdl.com/languagecloud/machine-translation/

Thanks

David
Collapse

David Pooley
David Pooley
United Kingdom
English
Quick ROI Calculation Oct 20, 2016

I would ask why you want to use MT in the first place? Using MT is typically associated with a "post-editing" workflow which is generally accepted as have a productivity boost; if not, you wouldn't be using it I guess. The numbers for the actual productivity increase vary and here in SDL we've seen improvements of up to 40%. With this in mind, I'm going to run a quick calculation based on some (what I believe are) conservative figures:

Current words per hour: 250
Average price
... See more
I would ask why you want to use MT in the first place? Using MT is typically associated with a "post-editing" workflow which is generally accepted as have a productivity boost; if not, you wouldn't be using it I guess. The numbers for the actual productivity increase vary and here in SDL we've seen improvements of up to 40%. With this in mind, I'm going to run a quick calculation based on some (what I believe are) conservative figures:

Average price per word: $0.02
Revenue per hour: $5.00 (= 250 * $0.02)
Package cost: $10
Productivity increase: 20%
New words per hour: 300 (= 250 * 1.2)
New revenue per hour: $6.00 (= 300 * $0.02)
Hours taken to recover the cost of the package: 10 (=10$ / ($6.00 - $5.00))

I think that $0.02 per word is conservative and I've also halved the productivity boost here. Similarly the $35 package would take 35 hours to get your return on investment using the above figures. With this in mind, does the price tag still seem so high?

Regards,

David (SDL)
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 20, 2016

SDL_David_M wrote:

Hi,

When you upgrade to the basic package you not only get more characters, but also the chance to incorporate your own personal dictionaries - the benefit here is that you can start to get custom results MT results, as Language Cloud will review your personal terminology before providing the result.

You can find a quick intro video to using LCMT & dictionaries half way down this page http://www.sdl.com/languagecloud/machine-translation/

Thanks

David

Hi David,

Thank you for clarification. I confess, it's my bad, I haven't noticed the 10 dollar option - I needed to use an arrow on the site to find it.

Thanks again.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well Oct 20, 2016

David Pooley wrote:

I think that $0.02 per word is conservative and I've also halved the productivity boost here. Similarly the $35 package would take 35 hours to get your return on investment using the above figures. With this in mind, does the price tag still seem so high?

Regards,

David (SDL)

Dear David,

That's all very nice and neat. I like calculations based on numbers taken from anywhere only to confirm your thesis.

The thing is that first of all I meant the 35 dollar package, the cost of which is simply too high for a freelancer like me. I didn't see the 10 dollar before, that's why I complained a bit.

Now, as for the calculations. I don't think that Language Cloud increases my productivity by 20 per cent. 5-10 perhaps, but 40 for sure not. In combination with other MT engines the number may, perhaps, reach 20-25.
Having said that, I like to have several MT engines at my disposal, but I think I can live without Language Cloud, I might want to pay for it when my language pair for adaptive MT will be supported. But for the time being I consider it a waste of money, because the results produced are similar if not worse to what Google and Bing offer.

Honestly? To increase my productivity by perhaps more than 30 per cent, I prefer to spend 25 dollars a month for a gym membership. It's healthier and, boy, way more fun.

David Pooley
David Pooley
United Kingdom
English
Re: Well Oct 21, 2016

That's all very nice and neat. I like calculations based on numbers taken from anywhere only to confirm your thesis.

I think that's a little harsh; I was trying to be conservative and demonstrate how you may actually get benefit from the subscription. As far as I'm aware, $0.02 per word is really quite low (but maybe I'm wrong) and translators will operate around the 300 words per hour mark I think.

The thing is that first of all I meant the 35 dollar package, the cost of which is simply too high for a freelancer like me. I didn't see the 10 dollar before, that's why I complained a bit.

Understood.

Now, as for the calculations. I don't think that Language Cloud increases my productivity by 20 per cent. 5-10 perhaps, but 40 for sure not. In combination with other MT engines the number may, perhaps, reach 20-25.

Is this a good time to point out that SDL run courses on post-editing?

Having said that, I like to have several MT engines at my disposal, but I think I can live without Language Cloud, I might want to pay for it when my language pair for adaptive MT will be supported. But for the time being I consider it a waste of money, because the results produced are similar if not worse to what Google and Bing offer.

As long as you and your customers are happy with Google and Microsoft using the content that you submit to them for translation (yes, really). SDL do not and will not use your content beyond the duration of the transaction - the text is "forgotten" as soon as the translation is returned. If security is not an issue then your choice is valid.

Honestly? To increase my productivity by perhaps more than 30 per cent, I prefer to spend 25 dollars a month for a gym membership. It's healthier and, boy, way more fun.

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

Regards,

David

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Never trust any statistics or calculations you did not produce yourself Oct 22, 2016

David Pooley wrote:

Wait a moment, something seems to be wrong here.

ok, assuming that as a translator, you re still hobbling away at 250-300 words per hour. Previously, we were told that the use of Studio would increase our productivity by at least 30 %, this brings us to 390 words per hour. We were also told that AutoSuggest would increase our productivity by about 35 %, wow, we just reached 526 words per hour. Now you are telling us that your new adaptive MT feature will boost this by another 40% up to 736 words per hour. Multiplied by 6 hours per day, this will give us 4416 words per day. This might sound impressive, but to be honest, I am already translating > 5000 words per day with my current workflow, why should I pay for your solution.
The 2nd point that does seem wrong here is your average price of $0.02 per word. You must be joking. I know from discussions on other platforms that SDL is known to offer their freelancers very low rates, but I am really surprised to learn that you are calculating with rates that are even lower than anything else we have seen from low paying LSPs. A revenue of $6.00 per hour (that you seem to find ok) is a frivolity and a reason not to buy any SDL products in the future.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:31
English to German
Agree! Oct 22, 2016

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

David Pooley wrote:

Wait a moment, something seems to be wrong here.

ok, assuming that as a translator, you re still hobbling away at 250-300 words per hour. Previously, we were told that the use of Studio would increase our productivity by at least 30 %, this brings us to 390 words per hour. We were also told that AutoSuggest would increase our productivity by about 35 %, wow, we just reached 526 words per hour. Now you are telling us that your new adaptive MT feature will boost this by another 40% up to 736 words per hour. Multiplied by 6 hours per day, this will give us 4416 words per day. This might sound impressive, but to be honest, I am already translating > 5000 words per day with my current workflow, why should I pay for your solution.
The 2nd point that does seem wrong here is your average price of $0.02 per word. You must be joking. I know from discussions on other platforms that SDL is known to offer their freelancers very low rates, but I am really surprised to learn that you are calculating with rates that are even lower than anything else we have seen from low paying LSPs. A revenue of $6.00 per hour (that you seem to find ok) is a frivolity and a reason not to buy any SDL products in the future.

I did find that example surprising and insulting!

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But since we are talking about productivity Oct 22, 2016

Since we are talking about productivity, I would be glad if SDL finally dealt with the ever-annoying task of adding terms to multiple termbases, because it's here where you should look for potential productivity boost for your customers.

I work with several termbases (usually 2-4). My typical termbase set consists of a General, Culinary and Travel termbase. If I want to add a term to 2 of them, I first need to make each of them a default one, which takes time.
Why is it so dif
... See more
Since we are talking about productivity, I would be glad if SDL finally dealt with the ever-annoying task of adding terms to multiple termbases, because it's here where you should look for potential productivity boost for your customers.

I work with several termbases (usually 2-4). My typical termbase set consists of a General, Culinary and Travel termbase. If I want to add a term to 2 of them, I first need to make each of them a default one, which takes time.
Why is it so difficult to do something like this? I click "Add a term" and then Trados asks me which termbases I want the term to add to? That's it.

This would really boost productivity.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
What is the SDL's productivity increase based on? Oct 22, 2016

David Pooley wrote:
Regards,
David (SDL)

I have never experienced much productivity boost with upgrades of CAT tools, so I have a long time ago concluded that the boost is compared to no use of a CAT tool at all, which seems much more believable.

Therefore, your calculation seems totally off. I never accept a job where I am offered less than EUR 0.10, so the USD 0.02 doesn't seem realistic at all to me.

In addition the agencies seem to include the boost anyway, so that you have no real net gain, at least when working with agencies. You are mainly better prepared for new jobs from them. But productivity boost? Hardly. Not if you compare with your productivity when using a CAT tool

Roy

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
$$$$ Oct 22, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Now, I would be willing to use a paid plan, but the cheapest one is... 35 dollars. Really?

Yes- really. The whole purpose of the Cloud is to force people to use it, and pay increasing amounts of money for it, forever (because if you stop subscribing at any point you will no longer be able to access your data).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Language Cloud Plans

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »