Fiona Busfield  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:07
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
May 1, 2015

Hi all,
Can anyone shed any light on this error message I'm getting in Studio please?
My client sent me a package which I duly opened and began working on. So far so good. The word counts were off (showing minus figures) so I performed a Word Count batch task to try and correct them. After doing that I was unable to reopen the files getting the above error message. "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: rootContainer"
I was trying to open multiple files so I tried opening each
... See more
Hi all,
Can anyone shed any light on this error message I'm getting in Studio please?
My client sent me a package which I duly opened and began working on. So far so good. The word counts were off (showing minus figures) so I performed a Word Count batch task to try and correct them. After doing that I was unable to reopen the files getting the above error message. "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: rootContainer"
I was trying to open multiple files so I tried opening each one separately, same message.
I tried opening files from other projects and they open fine, no error message at all.
I was unable to open the xliffs at all. I then reopened the package and began working again with the files opening fine and the previously translated content still in the TM.
I then made a change to some add-in settings that required a Studio restart to take effect. After restarting I had the same problem and error message with these files. I am still able to open files from other projects.
After reloading the package and starting from scratch again 3 times, I wondered if there was a problem with the project package so I created a new project using the source files from the original one. Again, everything worked fine until I started translating them, closed them down and then tried to reopen them. Interestingly, they reopened several times fine before I translated any of the content when I tested.
This is a fairly sizeable project so I really don't want to be starting from scratch every time I open the files. I've searched and searched but I can't find any info about this error.
Not sure if this is helpful but the detailed error results read as follows:

-

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: rootContainer

-

System.ArgumentNullException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

rootContainer

Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core

-

b__8(ISdlXliffStreamContentHandler handler) at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.ForEach(Action`1 action) at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.SdlXliffFeeder.ContinueScanning() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.XliffFileReader.ContinueParsing() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.XliffFileReader.ParseNext() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.FileExtractor.ParseNext() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.ParseNext() at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.Parse() at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TranslatableDocument.Load(IJobExecutionContext context) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Services.JobRequest.Execute(IJobExecutionContext context) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job.b__3() at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action) at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job._worker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)]]>

-

SDL Trados Studio

Microsoft Windows 8.1

NULL

OFFICEPC\Fiona Busfield

OFFICEPC

True

8338376 MB

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Collapse

SDL_Guillaume
SDL_Guillaume
Value cannot be null May 5, 2015

Hello Fiona,

This is Guillaume from SDL.

There is an article in our Knowledge Base about this error message: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3234

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us via Live Chat (bit.ly/SDLChat )

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Fiona Busfield
Fiona Busfield  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Different error? May 5, 2015

Hi Guillaume,
Many thanks for your reply. The Knowledge Base article you referred me to seems to deal with a different error however (Value cannot be null. Parameter name: setup.LanguageDirection.TargetCulture).
The parameter in the error message here is RootContainer. The target language is showing correctly as per the article you suggested.

I am still at a loss!
Thanks anyway, it's looking like I'll just have to muddle through as I am. No word from my client on
... See more
Hi Guillaume,
Many thanks for your reply. The Knowledge Base article you referred me to seems to deal with a different error however (Value cannot be null. Parameter name: setup.LanguageDirection.TargetCulture).
The parameter in the error message here is RootContainer. The target language is showing correctly as per the article you suggested.

I am still at a loss!
Thanks anyway, it's looking like I'll just have to muddle through as I am. No word from my client on this either.

Fiona
Collapse

Asset Orymbayev
Asset Orymbayev  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 16:07
English to Kazakh
+ ...
How did yu solve this problem? May 23, 2017

Hi,

How did you solve this problem?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 Error Message: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: rootContainer

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »