Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:16
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 31, 2014

Hi again - this has been happening to me for a while and I havn't posted about it, because it is not reproducible - well, I certainly can't work out any pattern to it. I highlight two or more segments that I want to merge, they are mergible, I select to merge - and it either works (albeit it takes a remarkably long time to think about it, but I'm only talking 'long' in terms of seconds) - or it hangs.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there any way to stop it? I have to kill
... See more
Hi again - this has been happening to me for a while and I havn't posted about it, because it is not reproducible - well, I certainly can't work out any pattern to it. I highlight two or more segments that I want to merge, they are mergible, I select to merge - and it either works (albeit it takes a remarkably long time to think about it, but I'm only talking 'long' in terms of seconds) - or it hangs.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there any way to stop it? I have to kill Trados, and lose any unsaved changes. I sometimes remember to save every time before I do a merge, but not always...

Thanks all!
Collapse

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
It also forgets what it was editing Jul 31, 2014

When I reopen, it asks if I want to reopen the last doc. I was editing, but it opens whatever I was editing before that. Probably just because whatever wasn't updated due to kill, but thought I'd mention.

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Ah - possibly related to being in filtered view Jul 31, 2014

Sorry for having my own private conversation here! (the French phrase esprit d'escalier leaps to mind, but 'staircase wit' never satisfied me as a translation. I digress).

So, I'm filtering on Unconfirmed segments.

The segments I wish to merge are contiguous, no worries there. But in the view I'm in, the segments before and after are not visible. So may it just can't cope with the restructure when in a filtered mode.

Rather rubbish if that is the case.

Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:16
Russian to English
+ ...
I have not merged a segment since starting up trados 2009 Aug 2, 2014

Do not merge the segments)))

Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
Not being able to merge segments is a time-waster Nov 14, 2014

I often have to merge segments to find a match. (e.g. Trados ALWAYS splits J. S. Bach into three separate segments.) After I upgraded to Trados 2014 the program is hanging up very often when attempting to merge. Although it is only one of several bugs in Trados 2014 it would be great to know when SDL is going to fix it.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not always.... Nov 14, 2014

... it depends on your language direction. If you were translating English to Norwegian then this does not happen.

All you need to do is add J. and S. to your abbreviation list in your TM. Then it won't break the segments for Norwegian to English either.

Regards

Paul

Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
+ ...
Merging segments freezes Trados 2014 Nov 14, 2014

Thanks for the tip about Bach, Paul. Any word on the merging segment freeze problem?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This is not a consistently.... Nov 14, 2014

.... reproducible problem. So I have not seen a file that causes this for example. However, this doesn't mean we won't fix a problem we can see. Can you share a file with that causes this after following a set of instructions so I can reliably pass this onto our development team?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Sian Cooper
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Will try to find a file Nov 14, 2014

Hi, Paul, good to see you! I will try to find a situation in which it is reliably reproducible, but it may have to do with how much memory is available at a given time (I suspect it is related to that) - it tends to happen on big files where there are lots of chained changes to be done, given the merge change. It may even not be a genuine 'hang' - maybe if left alone for an hour or so it might resolve itself - but that is obviously not a workable option.

So, it may be reproducible f
... See more
Hi, Paul, good to see you! I will try to find a situation in which it is reliably reproducible, but it may have to do with how much memory is available at a given time (I suspect it is related to that) - it tends to happen on big files where there are lots of chained changes to be done, given the merge change. It may even not be a genuine 'hang' - maybe if left alone for an hour or so it might resolve itself - but that is obviously not a workable option.

So, it may be reproducible for me on my laptop, but not for a developer with a serious set up.

I have had real trouble logging back in to the SDL forum, and gave up, constantly not recognising my password, so sorry not to be following up stuff there.

Cheers, Sian
Collapse

Hans Geluk
Hans Geluk  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Still happens! Mar 2, 2015

Is there any fix for this? This still happens.

I am using the last version of SDL Trados 2014 on a completely new and fast PC, and it often hangs when trying to merge two segments, even when translating a Word document of under 600 words. Sometimes, after restarting Studio I will be able to merge it, but then I may have lost some of my previous work.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Happens when splitting segments, too... Mar 3, 2015

Very annoying.

Typical scenario:

I start translating a long segment, only to disover that it needs splitting. If I simply leave the segment with text already entered into the target field, and then select 'split', Trados freezes and I have to reboot the computer, shutting down Trados 'the hard way', i.e. not properly.

I now routinely save the file, then delete all text already entered into the target field (Alt+Del), and then select split. So far, so good..
... See more
Very annoying.

Typical scenario:

I start translating a long segment, only to disover that it needs splitting. If I simply leave the segment with text already entered into the target field, and then select 'split', Trados freezes and I have to reboot the computer, shutting down Trados 'the hard way', i.e. not properly.

I now routinely save the file, then delete all text already entered into the target field (Alt+Del), and then select split. So far, so good...

Sorry, I realise this is not a 'merge' problem, but it seems to be along the same line...
Collapse

RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT
RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:16
French to English
Not responding when I try to split segments either. Any news? Apr 9, 2015

I'm also unable to split segments. Whenever I try everything freezes and I get a 'not responding' message. I have to come out of everything and start again. Is there any news on a fix for this?

Reynir G
Reynir G
Local time: 06:16
Workaround with merge/split freeze problem Sep 22, 2015

I have come across this far too many times. The problem appears when I have done some translating already and then need to split or merge segments. It seems that Studio is unable to fathom that after translating one might need to split or merge segments in the same session. The workaround is to save file, close file, open again and go through document solely for the purpose of splitting and merging. After that is finished one can commence translating. The bottom line being, at the start of a new... See more
I have come across this far too many times. The problem appears when I have done some translating already and then need to split or merge segments. It seems that Studio is unable to fathom that after translating one might need to split or merge segments in the same session. The workaround is to save file, close file, open again and go through document solely for the purpose of splitting and merging. After that is finished one can commence translating. The bottom line being, at the start of a new file, scroll through it and finish merging and splitting prior to starting translation.Collapse

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
Problem persists Nov 19, 2015

I am still confronted with the same problem in November 2015.

By the way, I really think merging should be possible across paragraph marks. I understand it is not obvious due to the way this all works now, but on the other hand the problems associated with not being able to do so are just too big.

I found a link to a page about this on the SDL Ideas site, but it seems it has been hacked.

Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
+ ...
Yes, the merge segment bug is still unfixed Nov 20, 2015

I thought maybe it would be fixed in Trados 2014 but no, it still isn't. I guess SDL won't look at it until we send them our files when it occurs. The problem is that when Trados hangs when merging and I lose all my unsaved changes I am more concerned about recovering all the time I have lost than sending the file to SDL, but I'll try to remember next time.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2014: often hangs when I merge segments, have to kill

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »