Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Severe bug: The context list is null. Could not get the last child.
Thread poster: EnglishandForm
EnglishandForm
EnglishandForm  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:19
German to English
Oct 22, 2011

Since installing Trados Studio 2011 I am getting this error message with every PDF file I try to process. When I save target early in the file, things seem to go OK. Later this message comes up and I am unable to do anything.

As a workaround I have taken to saving multiple target versions as I work - but before the end of my work this message always appears. It means I have to create a new project, re-open the file, and hope for the best. So far (!!!) I've been able to arrive at a
... See more
Since installing Trados Studio 2011 I am getting this error message with every PDF file I try to process. When I save target early in the file, things seem to go OK. Later this message comes up and I am unable to do anything.

As a workaround I have taken to saving multiple target versions as I work - but before the end of my work this message always appears. It means I have to create a new project, re-open the file, and hope for the best. So far (!!!) I've been able to arrive at a finished, saved target file at some point. But I would estimate I have lost twenty hours in the past two weeks due to this.

I am working with a computer that is powerful and only six months old - no other problems at all with it.

Any solutions?
Collapse

Islam Allosh
Islam Allosh
Local time: 19:19
English to Arabic
+ ...
Same problem here! Feb 8, 2012

Please advise!

[Edited at 2012-02-08 14:50 GMT]

Islam Allosh
Islam Allosh
English to Arabic
+ ...
A solution! Feb 8, 2012

That solution worked for me.
Trados 2011 does OCR the pdf file and add it as a word file to the same folder.
You just need to open the word file and work on it.
Wish this helps!

Angie Garbarino

Pierre Mikaël Ligavan (X)
Pierre Mikaël Ligavan (X)
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Same Problem Feb 17, 2012

I am experiencing the same issue and could not find a solution so far, hope anyone can help !!!

christenino
christenino  Identity Verified
Austria
English to German
+ ...
Solution Feb 26, 2012

Hi

I experienced the same problem. It has to do with PDF-conversion. I imported two PDF-files into Trados and one worked perfectly (output Word), whilst the other did not. I adopted the advice given, i.e.go to the folder where you created the project, and there you find a file, which has been Trados- converted from PDF to Word. Work with this file and the problem is past.

Best Regards,

Christenino

JRK
JRK
Local time: 02:19
Solution Oct 15, 2012

You should change for "File Types" option from "[Tools]-[Option]-[File Types]-[PDF]-[Common]" before open PDF file or create new project.

Default setting of "Extract hyperlinks:" is "Always process hyperlinks.".
You change to "Extract only hyperlinks text" or "Never process hyperlinks".

After convert to SDLXLIFF file then you should test "Save source as.." before translate.
If you can save "source file(DOC or DOCX file)", it is no problem on SDLXLIFF file be
... See more
You should change for "File Types" option from "[Tools]-[Option]-[File Types]-[PDF]-[Common]" before open PDF file or create new project.

After convert to SDLXLIFF file then you should test "Save source as.." before translate.
If you can save "source file(DOC or DOCX file)", it is no problem on SDLXLIFF file before translate.

Best Regards,
Collapse

Roger Marshall
Roger Marshall  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Context is null. Could not get the last child Oct 23, 2012

I'm afraid I tried all this, but I'm still childless. This is SOOOOO frustrating. I've been battling with this for hours. I could have finished the translation by now. As it is I haven't even started!

Neila Carneiro-Winrow
Neila Carneiro-Winrow  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
News Nov 15, 2012

I have found this problem just now.
Any one had solved this?
Cheers,

Ирина66 (X)
Ирина66 (X)
Russian Federation
Context is null. Could not get the last child Nov 26, 2012

We noticed the same problem with the PDF file with advanced formatting. I guess the problem could be caused by this advanced formatting. Therefore, one possible solution could be - convert PDF file to the Word format and remove advanced formatting like vertical text, etc. before you open it in Trados.

If you have done significant part of translation already and have to start a new project due to this error, then you can quickly fill in the new project with your translation:
<
... See more
We noticed the same problem with the PDF file with advanced formatting. I guess the problem could be caused by this advanced formatting. Therefore, one possible solution could be - convert PDF file to the Word format and remove advanced formatting like vertical text, etc. before you open it in Trados.

If you have done significant part of translation already and have to start a new project due to this error, then you can quickly fill in the new project with your translation:

1.Confirm translation for all translated segments
2. Give new name to the source file
3. Open this new source file in Trados
4. Create new project for the new source file and save the project
5. Menu - Project - Batch task - Apply Perfect match

In the Batch task you add your previous bilingual file as a source of perfect match translation for a new file.

By doing this you will transfer all translated segments with perfect match to a new project file, which you can save now as a target translation.

I hope in future Trados developers will fix this bug with PDF files.
Collapse

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
English to Arabic
Same problem here. Dec 17, 2012

Any direct solution other than working with word..?

Roberson Melo
Roberson Melo  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:19
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you so much guys Feb 19, 2013

the thing of opening the converted word filed instead really worked out in my case...
cheers

Mostafa Ezzat Mostafa
Mostafa Ezzat Mostafa  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes, it works Mar 13, 2013

Working on the word file solved the problem for me too...

Trad_Francais
Trad_Francais
Local time: 22:49
French to English
+ ...
Problem Solved but unable to restore cross references / hyperlinks in the translated text Apr 18, 2013

I followed the procedure below:

If you can save "source file(DOC or DOCX
... See more
I followed the procedure below:

If you can save "source file(DOC or DOCX file)", it is no problem on SDLXLIFF file before translate.

Now i would like to restore the cross references / hyperlinks in the translated document. Should i do this manually?

There is no other option where in it is restored automatically?

Please help me in this regard. Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards.
Collapse

Trad_Francais
Trad_Francais
Local time: 22:49
French to English
+ ...
Pls help-trados converted word file does not restore the cross ref/hyperlink from source pdf Apr 18, 2013

christenino wrote:

Hi

I experienced the same problem. It has to do with PDF-conversion. I imported two PDF-files into Trados and one worked perfectly (output Word), whilst the other did not. I adopted the advice given, i.e.go to the folder where you created the project, and there you find a file, which has been Trados- converted from PDF to Word. Work with this file and the problem is past.

Best Regards,

Christenino

alpia
alpia  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
German to Czech
+ ...
100% works this: Jul 5, 2013

Roger Marshall wrote:

I'm afraid I tried all this, but I'm still childless. This is SOOOOO frustrating. I've been battling with this for hours. I could have finished the translation by now. As it is I haven't even started!

this works 100% (direct advice from SDL):
http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4656#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4656

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Severe bug: The context list is null. Could not get the last child.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »