Auto-Propagate VERY slow!
Thread poster: robroy
robroy
robroy
Local time: 11:28
German to English
Apr 9, 2011

Hello,

My present text has large tables full of numbers. These appear to be auto-propagated and are shown as 100% matches, but are not yet confirmed.

Every time I confirm one of these segments, I hear a ping, the match changes to 99%, and a small window opens, "Please wait, Auto-propagating translation". This takes about 10 seconds for every segment, although the translation is there, and it is holding me up awfully - these tables are very large!

Does anyo
... See more
Hello,

My present text has large tables full of numbers. These appear to be auto-propagated and are shown as 100% matches, but are not yet confirmed.

Every time I confirm one of these segments, I hear a ping, the match changes to 99%, and a small window opens, "Please wait, Auto-propagating translation". This takes about 10 seconds for every segment, although the translation is there, and it is holding me up awfully - these tables are very large!

Does anyone have an idea how I can speed things up?

Thank you.

Rob Roy

PS Studio 2009, SP3
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Change AP settings Apr 9, 2011

Via Tools - Options - Editor - Auto-propagate
I would let the program confirm the auto propagated segments. This way it would not stop there again.
In fact I only use the setting "Always prompt user" and "Confirm" after AP.
That way I can fully controll the behaviour of Auto Propagation

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 12, 2013

marvellous 'workaround'!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jerzy's solution Feb 10, 2015

Curiously there was no waiting around on the first set of figures in an 80,000-word annual report with lots of figures in tables, but it started the "self-propagating-please-wait" thing on the second set, and I'm pretty sure I did as Jerzy suggests. Now, however, I've been put on hold for 15 minutes and counting (about 3/4 of the way through the stupid green filler bar), while it seems to be sifting the whole document. I hope this is the last time ...

Mervyn

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think ... Feb 10, 2015

... I've got the hang of this now, thanks to Jerzy. Again.

The boxes I have checked are Activate Auto P, Confirm ... and Always ...

I now realise that when it tells you how many repeats there are further down in the text, and asks you if you want to say Yes to all of them, it holds you up a little, but it's worth it in the end. Next time it just glides over any subsequent 100% segments. The reason I was waiting so long for the numbers was that there were hundreds of the
... See more
... I've got the hang of this now, thanks to Jerzy. Again.

The boxes I have checked are Activate Auto P, Confirm ... and Always ...

I now realise that when it tells you how many repeats there are further down in the text, and asks you if you want to say Yes to all of them, it holds you up a little, but it's worth it in the end. Next time it just glides over any subsequent 100% segments. The reason I was waiting so long for the numbers was that there were hundreds of them, but it doesn't even stop on them now.

This may seem obvious to loads of Studio geeks out there, but finally I seem to be gaining time again. Which is the ruddy point of it, isn't it?
Collapse

Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic
Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Ingenious! Jul 2, 2017

Thank you Jerzy, you saved me literally hours (and hours, and hours).

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use regex - more reliable than AP Jul 16, 2017

AP is a good tool, but regex allows you to achieve the same solution in part of the time and on top much more reliable.
Use display filter (Review tab in Studio). You need to enter this there, then press Enter:

^[\d\W]*$

This will filter ALL segments, which do not contain anything else but numbers, dots, commas, spaces and so on (only NON word characters and digits).
Select all segments, copy source to target, confirm all segments and you're done.

Sylvia Deckers
Sylvia Deckers  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Worked like a charm Apr 6

Thank you for the information and the comment and explanations. It works just fine with these settings. And so much nicer to work now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-Propagate VERY slow!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »