Jessica Franceschina
Jessica Franceschina
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:13
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 15, 2017

Hello!

I've been asked to perform blind editing on some transcreated taglines, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do exactly.

Does 'blind' mean that I shouldn't be looking at the source and only judge the target text?

Thanks!

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:13
Spanish to French
+ ...
Why didn't you ask your client? Jun 15, 2017

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:13
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not usually Jun 16, 2017

Jessica Franceschina wrote:
Does 'blind' mean that I shouldn't be looking at the source and only judge the target

I do a lot of that type of work and it's been called a few things but never that.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Easy Jun 16, 2017

you turn off your screen, close your eyes and press random keys on your keyboard. Then you send the outcome to your customer.

Seriously: I'd do as Christophe suggests.

No question is stupid, only replies may be. My post illustrates this.

Philippe

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Google proofread(ing) + blind Jun 17, 2017

https://americaneditor.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/the-proofreaders-corner-untangling-proofreading/

Society for Editors and Proofreaders (UK): “After material has been copy-edited, the publisher sends it to a designer or typesetter. Their work is then displayed or printed, and that is the proof — proof that it is ready for pub
... See more
https://americaneditor.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/the-proofreaders-corner-untangling-proofreading/

Society for Editors and Proofreaders (UK): “After material has been copy-edited, the publisher sends it to a designer or typesetter. Their work is then displayed or printed, and that is the proof — proof that it is ready for publication. Proofreading is the quality check and tidy-up. However, some clients expect more than that. Many proofreaders find they spot more errors on paper than on screen, but proofs may be read and marked in either medium. Proofreading is now often ‘blind’ — the proof is read on its own merits, without seeing the edited version. A proofreader looks for consistency in usage and presentation, and accuracy in text, images and layout, but cannot be responsible for the author’s or copy-editor’s work” (SfEP, “What is proofreading?”).

But whatever that says, you need to check with your client what they are expecting from you. If they have given the source text to you, it probably means they expect you to use it. Odd. Needs to be cleared up.

[Edited at 2017-06-17 22:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blind Editing

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »