Thread poster: TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:02
English to French
Mar 30, 2016

Dear colleagues,

I have been approached to edit an entire website and have provided the client with what I thought was a reasonable deadline. However, he thought it was too long.

How long does it usually take you to edit an entire website? It is not a super complicated one, but still quite a lot involve. I have to mention that the text is very poorly written (one of the reasons why the client would like it edited) and I find that I mostly end up re-writing/translatin
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have been approached to edit an entire website and have provided the client with what I thought was a reasonable deadline. However, he thought it was too long.

How long does it usually take you to edit an entire website? It is not a super complicated one, but still quite a lot involve. I have to mention that the text is very poorly written (one of the reasons why the client would like it edited) and I find that I mostly end up re-writing/translating it.

Thank you!

[Edited at 2016-03-30 00:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-30 00:40 GMT]
Collapse

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:02
French to English
+ ...
How long is a piece of string? Mar 30, 2016

It's impossible to reply to your question because there are so many potential variables. However, you seem to have based your estimate on the time you would take - as (I assume) a competent and conscientious professional. It's not your fault if the client wanted to launch his site sooner; nor is there any reason for him to pay less for the job than it's worth - unless he isn't really that fussed about quality. Hold your ground and insist that's the time you need to be sure of doing a really thor... See more
It's impossible to reply to your question because there are so many potential variables. However, you seem to have based your estimate on the time you would take - as (I assume) a competent and conscientious professional. It's not your fault if the client wanted to launch his site sooner; nor is there any reason for him to pay less for the job than it's worth - unless he isn't really that fussed about quality. Hold your ground and insist that's the time you need to be sure of doing a really thorough job; if he won't accept it then RUN and let him find a monkey he can pay peanuts to do a poor job!Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:02
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
In addition Mar 30, 2016

Victoria has already exposed one variable that makes it impossible for us to say

Another is your definition of editing in this instance. Are you simply proofreading a reasonable text and correcting the occasional typo, or is it badly written and you're improving it? That could be necessary because it's been written from scratch or translated by a non-native speaker, or because it isn't doing the owner any favours marketing-wise, or both.

Then there's also the technical
... See more
Victoria has already exposed one variable that makes it impossible for us to say

Another is your definition of editing in this instance. Are you simply proofreading a reasonable text and correcting the occasional typo, or is it badly written and you're improving it? That could be necessary because it's been written from scratch or translated by a non-native speaker, or because it isn't doing the owner any favours marketing-wise, or both.

Then there's also the technical side. Improving English marketing texts is something I do, and websites are a very large part of that work. But I will only work with Word or similar files provided by the client. I've had too many disasters with working on the website text itself. It's so easy to miss text, or spend your time and the client's money editing text that should be left for one reason or another.
Collapse

TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:02
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Addition..... Mar 30, 2016

Thank you for your response.

There are approx. 15 000 new words and the remainder are repetitions. It started as a proofreading job, but the translation is so poorly translated that I need to edit and re-translate. It sometimes takes me close to 1 hr to even do a small paragraph! As for the format, I have not been provided any document. I have to copy and paste from the website and create my own tables (ie. Original, revised, etc). So, I told the client that I need much more ti
... See more
Thank you for your response.

There are approx. 15 000 new words and the remainder are repetitions. It started as a proofreading job, but the translation is so poorly translated that I need to edit and re-translate. It sometimes takes me close to 1 hr to even do a small paragraph! As for the format, I have not been provided any document. I have to copy and paste from the website and create my own tables (ie. Original, revised, etc). So, I told the client that I need much more time and asked him to give me until end of April. Am I being unreasonable?

Also, the other side of the story is that I gave him this quote at the beginning of January and he didn't get back to me until last week and deadline was not discussed until now. Meanwhile, I have already revised the "HOME" page and another sub-section. I know it is partially my fault for not discussing the deadline with him upfront. So, now that it is an issue, I have suggested to the client that if he wishes to continue with me, I can only complete it by end of April. However, if he wishes to have it completed earlier (which he does), he can try to reach out to an agency. I also mentioned that since it is my mistake for not mentioning the deadline, I will absorb the cost of the work that I've done so far. I just don't want to end in bad terms. He did provide me some work on a monthly basis up until now. I do wish to keep this client, if possible.

Your advice and comments are appreciated.

[Edited at 2016-03-30 13:16 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:02
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Do the priority sections first Mar 30, 2016

If I were you, I would insist on being paid at least for the work you have done. Your suggested deadline doesn't sound unreasonable at all, given the amount of work involved.

Ask the client if it would be OK to do the most important and most visited sections first, and work outwards. Then he can set up the most visible areas and have a reasonably presentable website quickly.

It is at least as much the client's fault that time is short, if you were first approached in Ja
... See more
If I were you, I would insist on being paid at least for the work you have done. Your suggested deadline doesn't sound unreasonable at all, given the amount of work involved.

Ask the client if it would be OK to do the most important and most visited sections first, and work outwards. Then he can set up the most visible areas and have a reasonably presentable website quickly.

It is at least as much the client's fault that time is short, if you were first approached in January, and then left without an answer. Presumably, if you had been given a firm deadline, you could have done the job. Don't assume more blame than you have to.

In fact it is best to try to ignore the question of blame and recriminations, and simply work out the best solution you can in a positive way.

Being bold and self assertive - taking control of the situation and solving the problem as soon as possible - is the way to go. I hope it all works out.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website editing

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »