Mara Fernandez
Mara Fernandez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 5, 2017

Hello!

As some might recognize me from another forum post, I am an interpreter with over 10 years of experience from the Dominican Republic. I have worked in many fields as the market is highly diverse in my country if you do conferences. I have also worked in diplomatic events for the past 3 years. However, I am considering relocating to the US and the problem with my country is that despite all the potential work here, there are no college degrees in Interpretation so I have been
... See more
Hello!

As some might recognize me from another forum post, I am an interpreter with over 10 years of experience from the Dominican Republic. I have worked in many fields as the market is highly diverse in my country if you do conferences. I have also worked in diplomatic events for the past 3 years. However, I am considering relocating to the US and the problem with my country is that despite all the potential work here, there are no college degrees in Interpretation so I have been considering doing a masters and would like the possibility of online studies.
Does anyone knows of a good college that offers masters degrees for interpreting/translation online? Even if at the end you have to physically go and present your thesis would be ok but the bulk of the studies would have to be online.

Thank you!
Collapse

Premium✍️
Premium✍️  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:25
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
A Link to Explore Jan 6, 2017

Hi Mara,

I am assuming that you would undertake this online study into Spanish. So for all it is worth, I am indicating one source and possibility you might want to explore. http://www.sps.nyu.edu/academics/departments/foreign-languages/academic-offerings/ms-in-translation/study-options.html#ENG
Should you decide to pursue this link, don't forget to come back and share your experience here!

English into Spanish (Online Only)
Translation from English into Spanish contributes significantly to that growth, thanks to the increased political, economic, and social contacts between the US and the 20 Spanish-speaking sovereign countries in the world. The rapid growth in the Hispanic population in the US also has created a large domestic market, which has affected many areas of everyday life, including immigration law, social and medical services, business, and journalism. Spanish is one of the five official languages of the United Nations and its affiliates, which adds to the volume of translation work available in this language pair.

In this program, you will learn to produce accurate, clear, and expressive texts in Spanish from primary English sources. In addition, you will acquire the skills and the knowledge base needed to ensure you understand textually and culturally accurate terminology in the preparation of business and legal contracts and books and articles on global commerce, trade, or law.

The 36-credit study option focuses on legal and financial translation, as well as on software and website localization. The program delivers a rigorous curriculum that includes translation theory, linguistic analysis, and terminology management, as well as subject matter background courses in comparative legal systems and economics. The program strives to prepare well-rounded professional translators for the 21st century. For your convenience, it is delivered entirely online in a hybrid format.

View Concentration Curriculum

[Edited at 2017-01-06 04:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online masters for interpreter/translator

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »