Poll: Have you found any benefits from using LinkedIn?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 19, 2017

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you found any benefits from using LinkedIn?".

View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:13
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes, sort of Apr 19, 2017

Although I am not inundated with job offers via LinkedIn, it does offer me the following advantages:

- I feel that the people in LinkedIn are more likely to be serious individuals or professionals.
- LinkedIn has a slicker, sharper interface for presenting myself in a more professional manner.

This is why I use LinkedIn as my online CV.
If I get inquiries from potential customers even via Proz - and, in almost cases, they ask for my latest 'resume' (for cryi
... See more
Although I am not inundated with job offers via LinkedIn, it does offer me the following advantages:

- I feel that the people in LinkedIn are more likely to be serious individuals or professionals.
- LinkedIn has a slicker, sharper interface for presenting myself in a more professional manner.

This is why I use LinkedIn as my online CV.
If I get inquiries from potential customers even via Proz - and, in almost cases, they ask for my latest 'resume' (for crying out loud!) - I send them a link to my LinkedIn profile where they can get a better idea of what I can do and how I can help them.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:13
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 19, 2017

Not long after I got started on LinkedIn I happened to mention an article from a defunct journal that I'd been searching for for decades. One of my contacts had it and sent it to me a few minutes later.

LinkedIn has put me in touch with many people in my professional life that I had lost contact with, and it has brought me work.

What I like is that you can use it when you want to, but you don't have to spend time keeping it active like a professional Facebook page--unl
... See more
Not long after I got started on LinkedIn I happened to mention an article from a defunct journal that I'd been searching for for decades. One of my contacts had it and sent it to me a few minutes later.

LinkedIn has put me in touch with many people in my professional life that I had lost contact with, and it has brought me work.

What I like is that you can use it when you want to, but you don't have to spend time keeping it active like a professional Facebook page--unless you want to. It's very flexible.

[Edited at 2017-04-19 09:46 GMT]
Collapse

Francis Murphy (X)
Francis Murphy (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:13
French to English
Annoying sham Apr 19, 2017

LinkedIn crosses the line from helpful reference to overly intrusive and deceptive. Useful for your relatives, competitors and former classmates to track your progress. Proz.com, atanet.org are more professional.

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:13
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Totally agree with Francis Apr 19, 2017

I use LinkedIn to keep track of my younger relatives... And I keep getting requests from people I do not know, many from the translation business, but many from other industries...

I see absolutely no use in joining LinkedIn. And, like Francis says, atanet, Proz and other smaller, more translator-relevant sites are much more useful.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:13
Member (2006)
German to English
No Apr 19, 2017

but then I do not use it.

Lucas_venceslau
Lucas_venceslau  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
Networking Apr 19, 2017

After some years, I started finding some Project Managers I'd worked with before, some of them are not at/at the same agencies, so it saves me time with cover letters, translation tests and endless registration forms. It is kind of useful.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No Apr 19, 2017

but maybe I just don't understand its potentials

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Likewise! Apr 19, 2017

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

but maybe I just don't understand its potentials

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Why? Apr 19, 2017

Julian Holmes wrote:

I understand it's open to everybody, so why should they be?

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:13
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes Apr 19, 2017

I second Muriel - LinkedIn has put me in touch with many people from different industries, and it has brought me work. Project managers are also using it, and I've been approached on different occassions.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, because... Apr 19, 2017

I'm a linked-in user for almost 15 years. I keep a complete profile there, and interacts with colleagues in the references and indications. I have the linked-in link in my CV, and I use it in several occasions as my professional page (when asked).
However, I voted "no" because the main purpose of Linked-in is not to store CVs and profiles, yet to be a professional network. However, the site only works as for the former purpose and is useless for the latter. So, my answer has to be "no".

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
No Apr 20, 2017

I registered on LinkedIn many years ago since I thought it might be useful but decided to cancel my profile after a year or so as I found it absolutely useless. The 'benefit' was that the photo I had made visible to logged in members only or whatever (I don't remember exactly but it was not public) was suddenly visible to anyone when googling my name although my profile no longer existed. It took me a while to get that removed and I was extremely annoyed. So let's just say that the impression I ... See more
I registered on LinkedIn many years ago since I thought it might be useful but decided to cancel my profile after a year or so as I found it absolutely useless. The 'benefit' was that the photo I had made visible to logged in members only or whatever (I don't remember exactly but it was not public) was suddenly visible to anyone when googling my name although my profile no longer existed. It took me a while to get that removed and I was extremely annoyed. So let's just say that the impression I got of LinkedIn was anything but professional and I certainly wouldn't recommend it.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you found any benefits from using LinkedIn?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »