Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
This year, I noticed gross misinterpretation of people's professional qualifications (at ProZ.com)
Thread poster: Marquis
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Now this is surprising Jun 21, 2017

Chris S wrote:

The quality and naturalness of the rest of the OP's posts is native standard to my ears.

Ya think?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
People lie because they don't want to pay Jun 21, 2017

Lincoln Hui wrote:
Who ... are these people lying about being an ATA member?

They are out there, and they lie about it because they don't want to pay the membership fee.

Try this Google for 5 ProZ.com members who are almost certainly not members of the ATA (the 6th result is for a penis enhancer that's registered at ProZ.com):
site:.proz.com/profile/ ATA, ITI, NAATI, ATIO

[Edited at 2017-06-21 14:33 GMT]

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
An elegant solution Jun 21, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:
Who ... are these people lying about being an ATA member?

They are out there, and they lie about it because they don't want to pay the membership fee.

Try this Google for 6 ProZ.com members who are almost certainly not members of the ATA:

A simple step this site could take to facilitate verification of membership in professional organizations is requiring translators to provide a link to their profiles on the sites of said organizations (perhaps introduced with the text "see my profile HERE:").

If the link is dead, then it would then be the responsibility of the translator to personally send sufficient proof of membership to the party requesting it.

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Thank you Samuel... Jun 21, 2017

... you made my day.

Olly

Marquis
Marquis
United States
Local time: 12:11
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Samuel Jun 21, 2017

and mine as well!!

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
No summer holidays for Proz! Jun 21, 2017

Looks like there is plenty of work/cleaning ahead!!

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Samuel, thanks for making my day with that one for the boner! Jun 21, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Try this Google for 5 ProZ.com members who are almost certainly not members of the ATA (the 6th result is for a penis enhancer that's registered at ProZ.com):

[Edited at 2017-06-21 14:33 GMT]

http://www.proz.com/profile/2283692

¡Mi Dios nos coja confesados! (May God have mercy upon our souls!)

[Edited at 2017-06-21 15:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-06-21 17:00 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Samuel Jun 21, 2017

You gave me a smile here, too. (Although our alert staff member Evelio had already removed the offending profile.)

Yeah, it is just about the ten minutes, Chris. If we spent ten minutes on each new profile, that would amount to 30+ hours per day doing nothing but reviewing profiles.

This is a reality that has always been a bit dissatisfying to me. For the first time, and this is of significant personal consolation to me, with the Plus package we have been reaching out t
... See more
You gave me a smile here, too. (Although our alert staff member Evelio had already removed the offending profile.)

Yeah, it is just about the ten minutes, Chris. If we spent ten minutes on each new profile, that would amount to 30+ hours per day doing nothing but reviewing profiles.

This is a reality that has always been a bit dissatisfying to me. For the first time, and this is of significant personal consolation to me, with the Plus package we have been reaching out to every single subscriber in a personal way. Each Plus subscriber is invited to participate in a profile review in a small group setting, and in the small group, we further invite interested parties to request 20-minute one-on-one sessions with a staff member. But this, too, is not so much about verifying profile information. We do it because in a quick review of a profile, we can often spot a few quick things that can be improved, that may make a significant difference in one's experience at ProZ.com.

And by the way, the above program aside, any paying member, or even non-paying user of ProZ.com, is always welcome to call the Syracuse office during New York time zone business hours, and tell us about themselves and ask us to have a look at their profile. We are always happy to chat with translators and translation company owners to help them get the most out of the site.
Collapse

Marquis
Marquis
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Henry Dotterer Jun 26, 2017

I am just saying this should somehow be verified. It is not my job to question anyone's credentials, but some things are just too obvious or glaring, or as in my case, too and should be obvious to others who approve a certain person or not.

[Edited at 2017-06-26 18:01 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Hidden at poster's request
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quote of post that has already been removed + post temporarily hidden as per site rules.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This year, I noticed gross misinterpretation of people's professional qualifications (at ProZ.com)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »