Marina Vilela
Marina Vilela  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 4, 2017

Hello!

I am outside the US and so one of my clients pays me through Skrill, which I chose at the time because it has less fees than PayPal. There's not a lot of money there because I don't work for this client a lot, so I prefer not to transfer the money to my bank account in Brazil (in order to avoid losing money on fees) and use it to pay for things I buy online from US websites, for example. However, Skrill is not as accepted as PayPal, so I was wondering if anyone knows a (co
... See more
Hello!

I am outside the US and so one of my clients pays me through Skrill, which I chose at the time because it has less fees than PayPal. There's not a lot of money there because I don't work for this client a lot, so I prefer not to transfer the money to my bank account in Brazil (in order to avoid losing money on fees) and use it to pay for things I buy online from US websites, for example. However, Skrill is not as accepted as PayPal, so I was wondering if anyone knows a (cost effective) way to transfer money from Skrill to Paypal.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:30
Danish to English
+ ...
Mastercard May 4, 2017

Skrill offers a prepaid Mastercard, see https://www.skrill.com/en/skrill-prepaid-mastercard/ . It is possible that you can use that to transfer money to PayPal, obviously in addition to using it to pay directly from Skrill.

It could be limited to account holders in certain countries, though. I don't know.

Marina Vilela
Marina Vilela  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is May 4, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

It could be limited to account holders in certain countries, though. I don't know.

It is. It used to be available in Brazil, but not anymore. =/

Amlaku Eshetie
Amlaku Eshetie
United States
Local time: 07:30
English to Amharic
+ ...
PayPal is a luxury for freelancers in certain countries May 5, 2017

This question has been my question, too, for long as I had created the account when I first came to the US. Let alone such exchange facility between the two, PayPal doesn't work at all in certain countries and my country, Ethiopia, is one of them.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:30
Danish to English
+ ...
National restrictions May 5, 2017

In most cases I believe it is national monetary restrictions and/or regulations, such as for example capital or exchange controls, that make it impossible, unworkable or uninteresting for companies like PayPal to offer certain services in certain countries.

Even though such companies are American or European or both, they still have to observe the laws of the countries in which their account holders are resident.

In some countries, every payment out of the country has t
... See more
In most cases I believe it is national monetary restrictions and/or regulations, such as for example capital or exchange controls, that make it impossible, unworkable or uninteresting for companies like PayPal to offer certain services in certain countries.

Even though such companies are American or European or both, they still have to observe the laws of the countries in which their account holders are resident.

In some countries, every payment out of the country has to be approved by the central bank. In some cases, taxes have to be withheld. Although it may be technically and legally possible for a money transfer company to provide a solution, it may be too onerous or awkward to manage on a daily basis, and it may alter the 'instant' nature of their services more than they are willing to accept.

Like it or not, we are limited by the laws of the countries where we live.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transferring from Skrill to Paypal

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »