Thread poster: Panzera
Panzera
Panzera
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 13, 2017

Hello everyone,
I'm currently applying for a job as in-house (Spanish) translator for a company based in Luxembourg.
As part of my application I need to specify how much I want to earn per month, but I have no idea how much translators earn in Luxembourg in comparison to Spain, for example (I don't know about the cost of living, rent, groceries, etc).
I have read that the average salary is 3000 euros per month.
Is there a Luxembourger that can help me out? Is 3000 per mo
... See more
Hello everyone,
I'm currently applying for a job as in-house (Spanish) translator for a company based in Luxembourg.
As part of my application I need to specify how much I want to earn per month, but I have no idea how much translators earn in Luxembourg in comparison to Spain, for example (I don't know about the cost of living, rent, groceries, etc).
Is there a Luxembourger that can help me out? Is 3000 per month OK?
Thank you very much,
Belén
Collapse

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 17:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Website for cost of living Mar 13, 2017

Dear Belén,
you can have a look at Numbeo...it's a website in which you can get a good grasp of the various cost of living od a city or a country, and even compare cities. I used it to understand my salary expectation and I can say that it is very realistic.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Luxembourg cost of living Mar 14, 2017

Panzera wrote:

Hello everyone,
Is there a Luxembourger that can help me out? Is 3000 per month OK?
Thank you very much,
Belén

Hola, Belén:

Are you currently located in Uruguay? If so, using Serena's suggested website and others should be your starting point of research, but not the only thing. Contact expat websites (google search, google search) and forums; many of these forums have a basic, free membership (like InterNations) and you are allowed to ask questions such as cost of living.

Keep in mind that the cost of living shouldn't be just related to a monthly salary. Three thousand euros a month may seem HUGE and mouthwatering, but don't be fooled. Is the company offering to cover relocation expenses? That is important. If you have your own family, there are other options to consider: schools for your kids, immigration and work visas or permits for you and your spouse or significant other, etc.

So, keep researching y ¡buena suerte!

P.S.: find out about that company. Do your homework and make sure it's not a scam.

Mario (currently in Lisbon, PT)

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
Salaries in LUX Mar 14, 2017

Minimum wage was 1,800 eur last time I checked.
Translators in EU institutions earn between 4,500 and 8,000 euros, based on seniority.
There is a translator centre there for the internet giant who can send you cheap Chinese junk super quickly via the majestic Brazilian river, and I believe their salaries are between around 3,000-4,000.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mechanical turks? Mar 14, 2017

Michal Fabian wrote:

Minimum wage was 1,800 eur last time I checked.
Translators in EU institutions earn between 4,500 and 8,000 euros, based on seniority.
There is a translator centre there for the internet giant who can send you cheap Chinese junk super quickly via the majestic Brazilian river, and I believe their salaries are between around 3,000-4,000.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary for translators in Luxembourg

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »