Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:06
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
There's always someone... Jan 28, 2017

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

... for a princely total sum of €2.67. Or maybe it was US dollars. I actually got in touch with the guy on Twitter, asked him why he paid so little... his reply was that he (and I quote) "always gets good offers at that price."

And that's the problem. There is always someone who works for practically nothing. Unless it's a hobby for that person, I don't see how any serious translator can afford to work for basically nothing but a crumb or two. At most.

So a 3 EUR job includes opening and reading the email, downloading and opening the file, translating or proof-reading the document, finishing it, sending it back to the client and then preparing and sending the invoice. Perhaps to top it off, have PayPal take its hefty fee of 3.9 - 6.8% out. This sounds more like the translator is paying the client than vice versa.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:06
English to German
Once negotiated a Euro 5 job Jan 28, 2017

After long back and forth I once managed to negotiate a Euro 5 minimum charge for frequent small jobs (20-30 words at a time). The agency insisted that the client pays per word and therefore they were very reluctant to accept my suggestion of Euro 5.

So it turned out to be one such job every other week or so, but the agency soon lost the client because they started finding fault in the translations in most of the languages (as they told me)...

... maybe one does hope su
... See more
After long back and forth I once managed to negotiate a Euro 5 minimum charge for frequent small jobs (20-30 words at a time). The agency insisted that the client pays per word and therefore they were very reluctant to accept my suggestion of Euro 5.

So it turned out to be one such job every other week or so, but the agency soon lost the client because they started finding fault in the translations in most of the languages (as they told me)...

... maybe one does hope such clients turn into more, but if they are so insistent on paying as little as possible then it might be best to concentrate on those who are more reasonable.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, I wouldn't! Jan 28, 2017

I have been offered similar assignments through Proz and for some time I used to answer back saying that I have a minimum charge (40 EUR) but then as that agency kept on sending e-mails after a while I stopped answering them. Regular clients who over the years have given me lots of work may be rewarded with the odd freebie. Some years ago I even negotiated with a translation agency to add on several small jobs until the sum is 40 EUR because their projects seemed interesting…

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
The job is very small Jan 29, 2017

and that's why the amount is small, too. I sometimes do accept such small jobs - but from clients for whom I do more than that, I just add it to their monthly invoice. Invoicing such an amount would be crazy, I agree. And the administrative work for recording the job (even if you don't invoice it separately) takes as much time as doing the job, this is why I sometimes do it for free (again - for clients I know!) and then the PM owes me and will come back with something more interesting.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
REgular Jan 29, 2017

If it's for a regular client I would do it for nothing. Otherwise: no.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
many a little makes a mickle Jan 29, 2017

Dear colleagues,

I believe some of you didn’t grasp the idea:
1) there’re different projects of various complexity, urgency, size—including micro-tasks—and so on;
2) there're different clients with their needs, demands, and terms;
3) there're different translators with their skills, terms and requirement too;
And that’s ok for you're your boss!

Do you mind a regular client asking to translate a few sentences for free, no?
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I believe some of you didn’t grasp the idea:
1) there’re different projects of various complexity, urgency, size—including micro-tasks—and so on;
2) there're different clients with their needs, demands, and terms;
3) there're different translators with their skills, terms and requirement too;
And that’s ok for you're your boss!

What about KudoZ? Indeed, we already do micro-tasks cheap dirty)
And how about a commercialized version with short sentences instead of thank-you’s/abstract points with short terminology?
While mutual aid does good, I do think that sometimes even $10, $5, $3, or just a dollar NET (even for your mobile) could do better.

Therefore, if I could promptly translate such a tiny project without extra fuss for a "small amount", then I probably would, but not with unnecessary messing, nor at my expense.

Of course, not everyone would agree, and not always; but what's the danger?

Take care (of the pence too)
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually I have a very firm grasp of the idea! Jan 30, 2017

DZiW wrote:

A few words for free for a regular client? That's an investment.

KudoZ? That's charity/entertainment.

First-world agency offering first-world translator (in one of the most expensive and exclusive language pairs to boot) three euros for a job of any size? That's beyond belief.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Unfortunately not... Jan 30, 2017

beyond belief in this industry!

It is a fairly regular occurrence. There is one British freelancer site with a nice client once in a while, but it is astonishing if you see the proposed budgets and expectations from people/clients in first world countries, who see translation as a quick typing job done by some desperate people who do anything for a few Euros.

The sad thing is, that there is always someone to oblige.

[Edited at 2017-01-30 09:54 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
@Chris Jan 30, 2017

Charity? In general, "investment" is the application of money, time, efforts, or other assets in the hope of appreciating or generating more income.

So far, KudoZ is exactly such an investment--in hope to get some--direct or implied--gratitude (payback) in a while.
How it can be ok to translate a word/phrase 'just for fun' whereas it's a big no-no to translate a few short sentences for a few bucks? Biz is money, wouldn't some pocket money make it funnier and mor
... See more
Charity? In general, "investment" is the application of money, time, efforts, or other assets in the hope of appreciating or generating more income.

So far, KudoZ is exactly such an investment--in hope to get some--direct or implied--gratitude (payback) in a while.
How it can be ok to translate a word/phrase 'just for fun' whereas it's a big no-no to translate a few short sentences for a few bucks? Biz is money, wouldn't some pocket money make it funnier and more practical then? Say, one can top up my mobile even for a penny, but it doesn't work even with a huge 'thank-you' (unless it's a barter or a closing deal). Actually, that's how I accept small fees under $25.

micro-size == micro price
Tiny size == low price;
Mid-size == mid price;
Big/complex/rush == high price.

I think that micro-tasking has a good niche in the translation field, when implemented properly (without extra fuss, similar to KudoZ or real-time prompts).

IMO, of course.
Collapse

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 02:06
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Yes... Jan 30, 2017

... in their dreams.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Investment Jan 31, 2017

Chris S wrote:

DZiW wrote:

A few words for free for a regular client? That's an investment.

KudoZ? That's charity/entertainment.

First-world agency offering first-world translator (in one of the most expensive and exclusive language pairs to boot) three euros for a job of any size? That's beyond belief.

This. A recent investment of mine:
One of my best clients (for at least ten years) needed to tweak a previous translation just before Christmas. I groaned, but it turned out she had flagged all the changes for me, and they mostly involved removing or replacing isolated words, and splitting one long sentence into two. I got it done in under 20 minutes and told her it was a Christmas present.
She now has a new job and will be giving me stuff there (a whole new field for me!), while her replacement at her previous position has been introduced to me and told that I'm brilliant.

No way would I do such a favour for a random agency just contacting me via a platform. The fee doesn't even cover the time it takes to issue the bill.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dizzy Jan 31, 2017

DZiW wrote:

How it can be ok to translate a word/phrase 'just for fun' whereas it's a big no-no to translate a few short sentences for a few bucks?

I get your point, but I do ProZ for fun during my tea break, not when I'm working.

It would cost me more than 3 euros just to assess that job, let alone apply for it, do it, return it and bill it.

I have a minimum charge that is more than ten times that. To cover admin and dissuade clients from sending itty-bitty jobs.

I appreciate that 3 euros means more to some translators than me, but this is Swedish to English. No Chindian competition here!

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:06
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Bingo Jan 31, 2017

Chris S wrote:

I have a minimum charge that is more than ten times that.

I appreciate that 3 euros means more to some translators than me, but this is Swedish to English.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you accept a job for 3 euros?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »