Mac + Virtual Win7 + MemoQ: problem with drive volumes
Thread poster: Pzit (X)
Pzit (X)
Pzit (X)
English to Italian
Jan 8, 2011

Yesterday was my first evaluation day of MemoQ 4.5 and I'm quite thrilled to see it pairs excellently with most of my needs and habits. But I still can't get it to work with the following setup, I wonder if anybody can help:

- I'm using a Mac (Snow Leopard OS) running Parallels for the virtualization trick, and Windows 7.
- Win 7 sees a specific work folder on my Mac as volume "Y" (I didn't set it up - I just found it that way with my basic Parallels setup) and also under the
... See more
Yesterday was my first evaluation day of MemoQ 4.5 and I'm quite thrilled to see it pairs excellently with most of my needs and habits. But I still can't get it to work with the following setup, I wonder if anybody can help:

- I'm using a Mac (Snow Leopard OS) running Parallels for the virtualization trick, and Windows 7.
- Win 7 sees a specific work folder on my Mac as volume "Y" (I didn't set it up - I just found it that way with my basic Parallels setup) and also under the Network as a .psf file/volume.

I want to work keeping all my files under the Y volume. This is a good practice when working with virtualized OS: keep your documents under your real machine's hood - not under the virtualized machine itself. This has implications on safety, backup procedures, etc, so it would make more sense to me if I could continue working that way with MemoQ.

In MemoQ I changed all the location paths (Tools > Options > Locations) to my Y volume. The paths now look like this:

Custom Folder
\\.psf\Work\MemoQ\Projects

Translation Memories
\\.psf\Work\MemoQ\Translation Memories

Term Bases
\\.psf\Work\MemoQ\Term Bases

Live Docs Corpora
\\.psf\Work\MemoQ\LiveDocs Corpora

Light Resources
\\.psf\Work\MemoQ\Corpora

The issue: creation of new material under Y and importing of files from Y seems erratic. For example, I can create new projects, import translation files, create new term bases, and create new LiveDocs corpus. BUT I can't create new TMs directly under the Y volume, and I can't import documents into LiveDocs corpora if those documents are on the Y volume.

The following is the error I get when I try to create a TM:

-----
TYPE:
MemoQ.TMEngineWrapper.TMException

SOURCE:
MemoQ.TMEngineWrapper

CALL STACK:
at MemoQ.TMEngineWrapper.TranslationMemory..ctor(TMGlobalInfo info)
at MemoQ.TMEngineWrapper.TranslationMemory.Create(TMGlobalInfo info)
at MemoQ.TranslationMemory.LocalTM.Create(TMGlobalInfo tmInfo)
at MemoQ.TranslationMemory.TranslationMemoryManager.CreateLocal(TMGlobalInfo info)
at MemoQ.TranslationMemory.GUI.TMResourceControl.handleCommit(TMCreateForm dlg)
-----

I can bypass this error by creating TMs on my C: drive, but then my working material will be scattered around multiple volumes and it's a little awkward.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Stefano
Collapse

rmackay
rmackay
Local time: 12:26
memoQ not happy with network drives Jan 10, 2011

Hi there Stefano

Although I am not a mac user, I have also been looking at changing default paths for storing resources and projects elsewhere, other than the C drive. My work does everything on network drives and I was hoping to be able to save all resources etc to this drive so that all would be fully backed up - but there was performance issues - memoq ran very slowly when trying this and would also throw up similar error messages as well.

The best solution was to co
... See more
Hi there Stefano

Although I am not a mac user, I have also been looking at changing default paths for storing resources and projects elsewhere, other than the C drive. My work does everything on network drives and I was hoping to be able to save all resources etc to this drive so that all would be fully backed up - but there was performance issues - memoq ran very slowly when trying this and would also throw up similar error messages as well.

The best solution was to continue saving resources etc to the C drive but then run an automated backup script to save all these resources to another file path.

There are some good free back up tools out there.

However, it was also suggested that if you have a memoQ server, then simply creating online projects each time, would also ensure that all data is stored safely.

but basically - bottom line is that it is best not to alter the paths away from the c drive.

hope this helps

Ruairidh
Collapse

Pzit (X)
Pzit (X)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmed: nothing but C drives! Jan 13, 2011

I got an answer from the MemoQ people and they confirm (no explanation given, though) that resources can only be stored on a local drive. It doesn't matter whether you're working on a virtualized environment or not, MemoQ doesn't like network drives.

Changing the default locations is safe enough as long as it's on a local drive (C:\ or other drives if you're working on a partitioned hard disk, for example).

Stefano

FrenchPhD
FrenchPhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:26
French to English
+ ...
Also, the connection to the Language Terminal, and Update server, seem to fail. Mar 26, 2017

I run MemoQ on Windows 10 and on Win7/Parallels. On Win 10, the language terminal connection never fails. On Win7/Parallels on Mac OSX, the language terminal always fails. Also, on exit, the update always fails on the mac. Anyone know why? I've already set the firewall to allow the programs.

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:26
Local drive doesn't have to be C! Mar 27, 2017

You say "Confirmed: nothing but C drives!" - but of course, on a virtual machine, that 'drive' is just a (big!) file. It's easy to add a second virtual hard drive (D:, E: or whatever), much smaller. That will be much easier to back up (being small), and also much less likely to get hit by any bugs: all the software on C: will make it much busier, hence more likely to 'break' in time.

You can also access the contents of the virtual drives from the Mac using these instructions or simi
... See more
You say "Confirmed: nothing but C drives!" - but of course, on a virtual machine, that 'drive' is just a (big!) file. It's easy to add a second virtual hard drive (D:, E: or whatever), much smaller. That will be much easier to back up (being small), and also much less likely to get hit by any bugs: all the software on C: will make it much busier, hence more likely to 'break' in time.

You can also access the contents of the virtual drives from the Mac using these instructions or similar: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/27290.htm - giving you most of the advantages of native access, without upsetting MemoQ.
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 13:26
Dropbox Windows <> Dropbox Mac Mar 28, 2017

I solved it by placing my memoQ files in a Windows Dropbox folder and share this folder with my Mac Dropbox.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac + Virtual Win7 + MemoQ: problem with drive volumes

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »