Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:38
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jul 1, 2017

"Virtue signalling".

Make sure you say "virtue signalling" in all your conversations, for approximately the next 6 weeks.

People will be impressed at how up-to-speed you are.

But after 6 weeks, stop saying it, or people will feel sorry for you because you will
... See more
"Virtue signalling".

Make sure you say "virtue signalling" in all your conversations, for approximately the next 6 weeks.

People will be impressed at how up-to-speed you are.

But after 6 weeks, stop saying it, or people will feel sorry for you because you will be so... yesterday.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/i-invented-virtue-signalling-now-its-taking-over-the-world/#

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/30/emily-thornberry-accuses-chuka-umunna-of-virtue-signalling-on-eu-vote
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Vice signalling Jul 1, 2017

I'd like to coin this phrase for indicating opposition to all the fashionable values embodied in virtue signalling.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes, Jack Jul 1, 2017

It's not so much the new term I mind but the action involved, which I find intolerable.

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 11:38
Russian to English
+ ...
Count me in Jul 2, 2017

Rachel Fell wrote:

It's not so much the new term I mind but the action involved, which I find intolerable.

One man's vice may well be another man's... virtue?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rapidly evolving English: today's new expression

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »