Thread poster: Claudia Vale
Bano
Bano
United Kingdom
English to Urdu
Working directly with the Nhs Jul 1, 2017

Bibiana Jordan-Horvathova, MCIL wrote:

Hi Claudia and all,
How are you finding your experiences so far?
Where do you actually undertake these jobs?
There is a difference in working through the agency for NHS and working for them directly. Majority of interpreters are working through agencies and pay is very low in comparison for other types of jobs. Travel is usually not paid so one must calculate and organise time so it is possible to fit more jobs in. Of course they do not come in any order so planning more jobs in one area is not easy. Especially if you are covering GP's dotted all over places.
Also check what is the cut off time in such instances as you might find you were booked by the agency for one patient's new check up and there is a family waiting at the GP's and of course you have to be somewhere else soon...It's hard to keep an eye on time sometimes and you have to be really thinking ahead. And if using public transport you will always need more time than you think for travel.
I hope you are managing ok.

Hi bibiana
I am a freelance interpreter in the uk and would like to know how we can get a direct interpreting contract with the Nhs ? As of now i am working for an agency but as you have stated the pay can be low considering the travel out of local areas . Are you working directly ?
Any advice is welcome .

Thankyou in advance .. hope you can help .

Bano
Bano
United Kingdom
English to Urdu
Direct nhs interpreting contracts Jul 1, 2017

Hi everyone ,
Is anyone working directly with the nhs ? Or can help me understand how to go about getting into a direct interpreting contract with the nhs ? Do we need any special qualifications ? If not how does one join ?
Any advice welcome .

Thankyou

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting in the NHS

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »