Any suggestions for building consecutive interpretation skills?
Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2017

I am looking for help regarding building consecutive interpretation skills so as to be comfortable in handling segments of 45-50 words with no (or minimal) omissions.

As regards note-taking, I have not found that any of the systems using symbols have worked for me. What does work for me (in any event, for segments of up to 25-30 words) is a combination of very careful listening and abbreviating key words.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! I would also welcome
... See more
I am looking for help regarding building consecutive interpretation skills so as to be comfortable in handling segments of 45-50 words with no (or minimal) omissions.

As regards note-taking, I have not found that any of the systems using symbols have worked for me. What does work for me (in any event, for segments of up to 25-30 words) is a combination of very careful listening and abbreviating key words.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! I would also welcome suggestions regarding online resources that might be helpful in this regard.

I would also be happy to privately offer any additional information that might be needed to point me in the right direction.

Thank you!
Collapse

Alice Crisan
Alice Crisan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:46
English to Romanian
+ ...
. Jan 18, 2017

Record a short speech on your mobile reading something not too complex and then put on your headsets and while you listen start the sim. If you get stucked, go ahead with the next sentence, just follow your speech in the other language you want to interpret. Record your speech at a reasonable speed, not too fast or slow. If you can't make it start recording something very simple, you'll get use to it and in time repeating this practice you'll gain speed. Don't hurry with this, it takes time till... See more
Record a short speech on your mobile reading something not too complex and then put on your headsets and while you listen start the sim. If you get stucked, go ahead with the next sentence, just follow your speech in the other language you want to interpret. Record your speech at a reasonable speed, not too fast or slow. If you can't make it start recording something very simple, you'll get use to it and in time repeating this practice you'll gain speed. Don't hurry with this, it takes time till your brain, hearing and tongue will adjust to work in the same time. Think of a pianist. Try also www.speechpool.com a great collection of speeches, some are difficult some easier. You'll see the ratings. When practising, at least at the beggining use headsets.
Good luck and don't give up just practice continuously.
I adviced you mostly for sim. but you practice in the same way for consecutive. You stop your speech after 3-4 minutes and start relaying the message having a piece of paper and pen in front of you. Start building up your own symbols. Do a search on google for books related to consecutive and symbols used when interpreting consec.

[Edited at 2017-01-18 17:58 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any suggestions for building consecutive interpretation skills?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »