Siegfried Armbruster
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 12:39
SITE STAFF
Jun 28, 2017

Hello all,

I have learned this morning that Siegfried Armbruster has passed away. Siegfried was a long-time member and wherever you looked, he was contributing: in term help, in the forums, posting free resources for translators from a special tab set up in his profile, providing training and mentoring, on and off t
... See more
Hello all,

I have learned this morning that Siegfried Armbruster has passed away. Siegfried was a long-time member and wherever you looked, he was contributing: in term help, in the forums, posting free resources for translators from a special tab set up in his profile, providing training and mentoring, on and off the site.

Siegfried was very vocal with his opinions and feedback, and at times his words sounded harsh, but this was (I believe) simply a result of his passion for the translation community and its potential. Some nine years ago, I was working alone at the office one night, and a forum discussion had gotten out of hand; I had to remove a few posts, one of them by Siegfried. A few minutes later, the phone rang. It was Siegfried. He had started to write a reply to me online but had stopped and thought, "Surely we can have a reasonable conversation about this and come to a quicker understanding if we just talk about it." He was right.

He will be missed.
Collapse

Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:39
French to Spanish
+ ...
RIP Jun 28, 2017

I'm sorry for the loss, Jared.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oh wow! Jun 28, 2017

This is very sad news. Indeed Siegfried was a generous contributor and was always ready to help. May he rest in peace!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
RIP Jun 28, 2017

Very sad news indeed.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Farewell Jun 28, 2017

We crossed paths here on the fora several times, the last only a few days ago. He truly seemed to be a very acute person and dedicated translator and I believe the industry would need more professionals like him.

I'm surprised and sad to hear about his sudden departure.

My condolences to the family.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:39
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oh, my Jun 28, 2017

This is very sad. He contributed a lot here. RIP.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
So sorry! Jun 28, 2017

He was indeed a very engaged translator and contributor on ProZ. Just recently, I followed two of his webinars.
My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

[Bearbeitet am 2017-06-28 21:00 GMT]

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
RIP Jun 28, 2017

Condolences to his family and friends

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Condolences Jun 29, 2017

Siegfried was a very active member on various platforms until very recently; sorry to hear about his passing.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Oh, that's so sad to hear Jun 29, 2017

I respected his opinion enormously - as did we all, I believe. I particularly valued his comments as an outsourcer. He had such sensible things to say to freelancers struggling to get established. Harsh? Maybe, but he knew what it takes to be successful in business, and a soft skin isn't one of them. The forums, and I, will miss his input.

Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Too bad Jun 29, 2017

Too bad - looking at his portrait photo, I think he was not an old man. Regrets and condolences to his nearest and dearest.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
An established name ... Jun 29, 2017

... a constant to me among many others of you here in this rather anonymous business. I appreciated his contributions ...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I will miss him too Jun 29, 2017

Thank you, Jared, for letting us know. Strangely, I had a picture in my mind of this 'in memoriam' forum a couple of days ago - a sort of premonition.
Condolences to Siegried's family and friends.
Much of his help and advice will live on.

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Very sad news. Jun 29, 2017

This is indeed very sad news.

I met Siegfried in 2013 at a conference his company had organized in Freiburg, Germany. He was indeed very passionate about translation - and very inspiring to listen to when he spoke about it. He was also, as others have said, always very willing to help other translators. His passing is a great loss to the translation community. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

[Edited at 2017-06-30 08:25 GMT]

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Maria S. Loose, LL.M.  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to English
+ ...
Shocked to learn this. Jun 29, 2017

I am truly shocked to learn this. I am so sad. I knew that Siegfried was seriously ill but I didn't know that he had so little time left.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Siegfried Armbruster

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »