lmorris (X)
lmorris (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:50
French to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2016

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone in the UK has public liability and indemnity insurance and if you would recommend a company for this that you have personally used? I can see there are already some threads along these lines but they are 2years plus ago.

Many thanks
Leila

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My 2 cents Nov 17, 2016

Just make sure that whatever you get will cover ALL your clients, not just the UK ones. Otherwise, Sod's Law dictates that it will be a foreign one that sues you .

Christian christian@nielsen-palacios.com
Christian [email protected]
United States
Local time: 02:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Also in the US? Nov 17, 2016

If anyone has similar recommendations for the US, please post them here.
I read recently (but may have been an old post) that no translator has been sued in the last 15 years. True?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:50
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Talk to the CIoL Nov 17, 2016

As you are in the UK, you might be able to get some advice from the CIoL.
http://ciol.org.uk/

I know they have a scheme for members, although I don't know the details. (Living abroad, I am not eligible, but have similar insurance here.)

Mine does not cover work for clients in the US or Canada, which costs quite a bit extra for residents in Europe. I say so on the rare occasions when I
... See more
As you are in the UK, you might be able to get some advice from the CIoL.
http://ciol.org.uk/

I know they have a scheme for members, although I don't know the details. (Living abroad, I am not eligible, but have similar insurance here.)

Mine does not cover work for clients in the US or Canada, which costs quite a bit extra for residents in Europe. I say so on the rare occasions when I work for clients outside Europe, and they are apparently not worried.

As I have mentioned in other threads, my policy covers a lot of other things besides professional indemnity, from fire and theft to computer problems and loss of earnings from illness. All for quite a modest premium.

If you can, you need to get in on a group scheme for translators, or at least find an insurer who will look at what you are doing and compare it with others with similar risks and liabilities. My insurer pointed out that claims could be very expensive, but in general the risk was very low, which was why the premium was reasonable. Other insurers offered me policies which were far more expensive, but did not provide better cover. Of course I have never made any claims.

While it is good to have insurance, there is no need to pay exorbitant amounts for something you are unlikely to need in practice.

It is not just a case of hoping you won't need it; if you take proper care, the chances are that you will not be held liable for the big claims, although technically, a tiny little error in the wrong place (omitting the word 'not' or getting a decimal point wrong, or a date... ) could cause serious injury or damage.

All the best!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
One possible recent case Nov 17, 2016

Christian Nielsen-Palacios wrote:
I read recently (but may have been an old post) that no translator has been sued in the last 15 years. True?

One ProZ.member, unfortunately no longer with us, made a habit of always posing the question, and there was never any evidence at all. Just recently though there was a case reported. But I seem to remember it was for gross negligence of a type that was far removed from missing a zero off a figure, mistyping someone's name or incorrectly translating a term. I'm afraid I don't remember the details.

I've heard that - in other business areas at least - there's far more chance of a self-employed person actually being sued if they have insurance. Courts are reluctant (in the places I know, anyway) to seize a house, particularly if it's jointly owned, and most individuals simply don't have enough other assets to make the whole process worthwhile. Mind you, I'm typing with all my fingers crossed here as I no longer have insurance. It's a big departure from my normal habit, but there are limits to the practicalities of reducing risk, and I'm not losing sleep over that one. My clients are scattered all over the world and at my age I reckon I'd be past caring by the time they got a legal process to the point of tearing the shirt off my back.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Towergate Nov 17, 2016

lmorris wrote:
I was wondering if anyone in the UK has public liability and indemnity insurance and if you would recommend a company for this that you have personally used?

Talk to the Professional Liabilities team at Towergate. 01438 735251.

Regards
Dan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Chicken and egg Nov 17, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

lmorris wrote:
I was wondering if anyone in the UK has public liability and indemnity insurance and if you would recommend a company for this that you have personally used?

Talk to the Professional Liabilities team at Towergate. 01438 735251.

Regards
Dan

It's a chicken and egg situation. If people know you're insured, they'll come after you.

Unlike Dan, I would advise you never to contact any insurance company because if you do, the word will get round (funny how that happens) and you'll never stop being pestered by people trying to sell you insurance.

[Edited at 2016-11-17 15:33 GMT]

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
Local time: 07:50
English to French
+ ...
Terms and conditions of your professional organization Nov 17, 2016

As Christine pointed out earlier, it might be a good idea to talk to CIoL since you appear to be in the UK.

For your information, article 10 of SFT’s terms and conditions provides that "La responsabilité du Prestataire se limite uniquement au montant de la facture concernée" https://www.sft.fr/cgps-de-traduction-sft.html . Roughly translated into English: “The translator�
... See more
As Christine pointed out earlier, it might be a good idea to talk to CIoL since you appear to be in the UK.

For your information, article 10 of SFT’s terms and conditions provides that "La responsabilité du Prestataire se limite uniquement au montant de la facture concernée" https://www.sft.fr/cgps-de-traduction-sft.html . Roughly translated into English: “The translator’s liability may not exceed the amount of the invoice that is challenged”.

This may not apply to you directly as I believe it is meant for translators working in France and UK laws may be different, but checking if CIoL or other translators’ organizations in your country have something similar, or mentioning it in your own T&C or in your invoice (assuming it’s legal where you live), could save you time and hassle.

Edit : Your quote should mention it too, so that your clients know before they confirm their order.

[Edited at 2016-11-17 15:57 GMT]
Collapse

lmorris (X)
lmorris (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 17, 2016

Thanks for the useful comments everyone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator/proofreader insurance recommendations sought

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »